Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Superstar components
  • easygirl

Just been over to the site and came across a video made by Neil, the owner
    Surprised to see they are now making their own components in house, some investment there
    Well done I say

tinribz
    Free Member

Where’s the vid?

easygirl
    kimbers

one day theyll be the google of mtb componentry, with only on-one as a competitor, does that make brant steve jobs?

Northwind

The Dreadnought pedal didn’t really work out but the chainrings and bashguards are UK made… A good development that, all on the backs of other’s work to be honest but still

kimbers

all on the backs of other’s work to be honest but still

like SRAM trying to claim that patent 😉

philxx1975
    Free Member

Orange release the Segment

Another Co making stuff here in blighty good work I say!!!

Actually watched the Video it was a grat advert for Delcrap software

bikeneil
    Free Member

I wonder if their website security is made in the UK…

easygirl

I can clearly see that u.k companies are now finding it cheaper to start making components here again
    Long time coming but roll on british engineering, used to be amongst the best in the world

conkers
    Free Member

I’ve just received an IO ring and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Not much to pick between a Hope retainer and an IO.
    I was a bit worried by the pics of the tooth profile thinking the rounded tip like a traditional sprocket might mean it would wear and slip quicker but it turns out the tip makes the tooth taller and protrudes past the chain links.
    I haven’t had chance to ride it yet so longevity is a worry at that price but I’m still impressed for it to be UK made at that price level.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I can clearly see that u.k companies are now finding it cheaper to start making components here again

With the exception being that its just getting more expensive to make things overseas levelling the playing field in the traditional chap labour countries

I wonder when things get made in S. America and the African nations where the automotive folks are eyeing new locations for factories and markets

gee
    Free Member

It’s great to see things being made in the UK again, and even better to see someone you were at Uni with making such a success of his business. I’ve got an I/O ring on order, got to be as good as a RF one but for nearly half the price.

davewalsh
    Free Member

On the back of watching that video I decided to take a punt on one of their I/O chainrings and I must say the quality is rather good !

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Superstar have had a bit of a rocky ride but it looks like they are really moving in the right direction now. It would be awesome to be able to buy a fully UK made groupset.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’d rather they were cheap imports if it means they go back to including Haribo in the order 😛

rickon
    Free Member

Hang on… are they aiming to make moving parts now? Pressing a ring is entirely different to designing and manufacturing a mech.

nach
    Free Member

I got Haribo from them last week deadkenny 😛

I’ve found superstar’s stuff more hits than misses, and their pedals are excellent, but their branding is so frigging loud and all over everything they do that I tend to look for other options when buying components.

With the exception being that its just getting more expensive to make things overseas levelling the playing field in the traditional chap labour countries

Not quite. What I’ve heard is that for more advanced forms of manufacturing, such as 5-axis CNC milling, the machines are going to cost you about the same wherever you are in the world, and with a growing middle class in China, people with the skills to operate that kind of kit want better pay and are in more of a position to demand it. That makes it more viable for companies like Hope to still be working over here. The likes of Raleigh seem unlikely to bring production back though.

Sandwich

used to be amongst the best in the world

Still is, you just need to know where to look.

br
    Free Member

It’s not about ‘making’ things but the whole cost. Yes, somewhere with a labour cost half ours (or efficiency twice ours) will be cheaper per item but once you factor in transport and management (never mind control of IP) etc it starts to get nearer.

chvck
    Free Member

I got some with my order yesterday 🙂 although it was a wheel so not made here!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

asternotfatter – Member

Superstar have had a bit of a rocky ride but it looks like they are really moving in the right direction now. It would be awesome to be able to buy a fully UK made groupset.

I see what you did there 😉

mickmcd
    Free Member

5-axis CNC milling,

its not really that advanced when folks have 5 axis machines in their garage these days,and cars can cost more than some of the commodity machines like a Haas

As someone else said the total cost ,from shipping to qc guys to airline flights to feeding guys from the homecountry visiting a supplier, once you get that total cost analysed for the year sure product A sounds cheap on paper per unit,but by the time the whole lot is factored in plus that little bit of made n britain jingoism its not over the odds expensive

Oh the one thing that can screw you is material prices, we actually import Aerospace aluminium from germany for a 10th the cost SOME OF OUR ORIGINAL suppliers are trying to shag us for

hora
    Free Member

Oh the one thing that can screw you is material prices, we actually import Aerospace aluminium from germany for a 10th the cost SOME OF OUR ORIGINAL suppliers are trying to shag us for

A bit of a generalisation but I bet alot of Taiwan/Chinese factory owners are catching onto how much the finished product is retailed for in the UK now and cost prices at source aren’t as cheap on alot of stuff.

That and the Chinese thirst for raw materials/their own manufacturing requirement for homemarkets now..

In the garments industry there has been a shift from traditional Chinese towards Europe and more reliance on Turkey/Bangladesh etc.

mickmcd
    Free Member

nah this was greedy (imho sat at this side of the desk) aerospace companies selling material at the cost the market can demand in the UK aerospace manufacturing is doing a bit better than it was , make hay whilst the suns shining and all that is all they are doing so you cant complain, however it works both ways when there’s a downturn they become SOL ,

but if we dont find better suppliers and the one we found outside the UK really is a much higher spec company all together in terms of servicing its punters you run the risk of falling behind , its a non stop battle to improve

superhondaman
    Free Member

Would be nice if they could respond to e mails though. After using them for a number of years now and been happy with service/products (although pads only last about half as long as the genuine shimano ones) I purchased some switch adaptors of the wrong size, after 3 e mails and no reply regarding exchanging them I am a bit disappointed in them.

Milkie
    Free Member

By the sounds of it they should be able to compete with Hope on certain things! When I say compete I mean actually make the stuff they say they are going to make.

Good luck to them, and I will definately be looking at their range when I need some more shiny bits!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

By the sounds of it they should be able to compete with Hope on certain things! When I say compete I mean actually make the stuff they say they are going to make.

well it certainly wont be on customer service.
    Wonder if they will come up with anything new?

andyrm
    Free Member

I think this is a great move for Superstar – get the best of badge engineered parts like hubs, rims etc at great prices then UK made items too.

Fair play to Neil for making it into such a successful operation.

And looking at the positivity on this thread, hopefully the boring old STW anti-SS attitude is dying off too!

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

They do need to change the graphics though. They look like a tattoo a body builder would have.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Superstar components’ is closed to new replies.