Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • superstar components
  • pedro5319
    Free Member

looking at getting a pair of superstar switch evo hubs. would be greatfull if anyone could give me some reviews/opinions of these hubs?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bought some SS wheels with switch hubs. But I’ve not had them long enough to offer opinion about their longevity. Sorry.

djglover
    Free Member

O..

pedro5319
    Free Member

ok man no worries have you rode them at all?

bigjim

Had about 6 rides on mine, they seem great, spin well, light, time will tell about longetivity

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve just got a crest/switch front/superlegga rear. So far they are 3 rides / 40miles or so old

Initial impressions the hubs are nice look decent quality. Slight annoyances are the 20mm spacers fall off if your not careful, so if you take your wheel off in the carpark to chuck in the car make sure you don’t loose one….

Can’t say I notice the extra engagement of the superlegga over a proII (didn’t think I would but fancied something different). The noise however I have decided is far more annoying than the loud clacking of a proII.

Maybe this is because I spent an hour completely re-tensioning the rear wheel and got sick of it. But that’s another tail…

neilc1881
    Free Member

Got a pair of these hubs built on their DH rims as a hardhitting option for my Five/mmmBop when needed. On first inspection the hubs seem fantastic value for money. I’ve had them since the end of summer and they get weekly rock garden abuse on the local trails and further afield. Until recently they were great and stayed perfectly true despite an ingestion of rear mech and the re-positioning of several spokes. Unfortunately they started playing up and not engaging reliably when on a night ride down at Brechfa, stripped and found that there were gouges in the freehub body between the pawls. Emailed Superstar who suggested I send the rear wheel back, which I did and a new freehub body materialised without delay (3-day round trip). Couldn’t fault that really. The bearings have been okay, though the QR15 front has developed a very small amount of play recently.

All in all I’d say they were well worth it considering I paid about £160 for the pair and the 2 year warranty. (Good colour options too!)

pedro5319
    Free Member

haha thanks man, think i may have to get myself some 🙂

pedro5319
    Free Member

colour option is defo good especailly when your a tart which i am abit haha

ononeorange

Had a s/s rear for about a year now, which means it’s had a full winter of crap. It’s been great, really good value. Just two very small niggles:

1. It needed the pawls greasing when I first got it (grinding noise) – hardly a hardship.

2. It is virtually silent and I really miss the Pro II sound when I’m on it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had 2 of his BB’s, wouldn’t touch any other superstar parts with a 20ft clymidia infected bargepole.

kimbers

thisisnotaspoon the pedals and chainguide are excellent and ive found them very helpful over the phone

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found him a lying fekwit, blamed everything apart from the product, passed onto the ‘warrenty department’ of his one man company, etc etc etc……….

You couldn’t pay me to deal with him again.

£160 for rigida rims on hubs with issues? For £90 more you can get pro2 with stans! Or plenty of other cheeper options on CRC.

wors

I’ve got a pair, been using them about 6 months now (all through winter basically), can’t fault them. Still running true. I’d definitely buy another set. And you can pimp em to match your colour scheme!!

starsh78
    Free Member

Buy Black hubs, black rims and black spokes for good resale value, they are still trying to shift their gold hub red rim combo 🙁 i guess its just personal taste…. but i has it 😉

sv

TINAS – where can you get Stans/Pro2 for £250, will be in the market for a set soon.

duckman

I have the switch wheelset,I like.Mind you I also like their cheap headsets as well,may try the bb soon.

legend
    Free Member

For £90 more you can get pro2 with stans!

Great, pay only 60% more and you get something better – hardly an insignificant amount!

slowrider
    Free Member

sv, ebay/ winstanleys have good hope hoops offers

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

passed onto the ‘warrenty department’ of his one man company, etc etc etc…

There’s 2 of them but yep, I had that, “We need to speak to the distributors”. Er, you’re the distributors. I guess he had to change hats or something. Still, it was sorted eventually.

bigjim

I think proII/stans for £250 is a myth – the winstanleys suggestion comes to £280, certainly I couldn’t find anything near the superstar price when I was looking so bought the superstar ones which also include the tubeless kit in the £220, seem great so far, not a perfect 100% straight build but easily fixed in a couple of mins and amazing for the money, under 1600g with the crests.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m about to get the superleggera / 430 combo front and rear. For thos prices you can’t go wrong really can you.

Northwind

My Pro2s/Hopes were about £265 but that was a while back, the cheap supplies dried up… Some folks possibly haven’t noticed that?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

djglover

O..

C..

neninja
    Free Member

My Pro2/Arch were £250 but that was a one off. Rutland were doing them for £265 until recently

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘superstar components’ is closed to new replies.