Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Superstar carbon wheels
  • andybloomer
    Free Member

Anyone know whether they’re tubeless ready?

Ta…it’s the 29er version I’m interested in

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=674

stufield
    Free Member

last sentence of the description on the link you provided -430g and tubeless ready.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Yes, spotted that but didn’t know whether it was the wheels in the link or the ones “launching in spring 2013”. Slightly confusing

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Wow! – Think I might just get a pair of these!

Here’s me thinking my bike was complete! 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

700 quid and nearly 1700g. Erm, no thanks. get 300g lighter and cheaper elsewhere

scaredypants

I agree with the OP – the “tubeless ready” seems to mean the new ones for 2013. Either badly structured or a teeny tiny bit misleading.

emmodd
    Free Member

700 quid and nearly 1700g. Erm, no thanks. get 300g lighter and cheaper elsewhere

Would be interested to know where. Don’t think that’s bad for a pair of 29″ wheels, especially at that money. My understanding is that carbon wheels aren’t significantly lighter – you’re simply paying for the other benefits brought to the table.

andybloomer
    Free Member

For anyone interested, here’s the response from Superstar. Good customer service I thought.

“Hello the XC carbon is not specifically tubeless ready but you can use a
    tape and sealant system on them if you require.

The new AM version is our own mould and we have added the tighter bead to
    make them easier to inflate when used tubeless but this will make tyres
    harder to get on.

Any questions just let me know, neil”

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ask him why he doesn’t post on here anymore.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Intrigued. I suspect some history?

Sorry, I’m new here.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Got some 400g 30mm wide carbon 29er rims on the way from china.£250 a pair with shipping.
    I strongly suspect these are the same rims ss will be using.Will build the same weight as crests but be the width of flows.There’s a 2000+ post thread on mtbr about them.

andybloomer
    Free Member

I was just curious about the superstar stuff. There’s a good LBS here with a fella that sits in the corner (very quiet guy) that looks like he’s been building wheels for decades, I like that kind of stuff. I may ask them to build me a set of wheels on their hubs with the best spokes they can get.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Why spend that much with SS who never pick up phone oreven know how to respond to an email for new custom in reasonable time!

When ,,,

Pick some other well known amazing ones for £750 a set which should actually be more like £1100 imo.

Even if I would never spend that kind of wedge on wheels, I have a dilemma atm choosing for 29″ set.

Northwind

Superstar can make some excellent wheels, I’d honestly say the build on my mate’s DH set is as good as my Wheelpro Hope Hoops- as good as you could ask. Unfortunately they can also make some rotten wheels, I’ve seen a couple that I wouldn’t call acceptable. And one of those was a warranty replacement- never saw the originals but you’d expect them to send out good ones when they’ve already had problems.

firestarter
    Free Member

The new AM version is our own mould and we have added the tighter bead to make them easier to inflate when used tubeless but this will make tyres harder to get on.

dont use a rock to install tyres 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Superstar carbon wheels’ is closed to new replies.