Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Superstar Brake Pads – why haven't they recalled them?
  • honourablegeorge

Sat here sore all over because of a set of superstar brake pads that failed on me – pad material came away from the backing, sending me over the edge of a drop.

A bit of google research shows this to be a pretty well known problem with their pads, and one that’s been around for a long time, but they’re still selling a dangerously faulty product. Can only assume they don’t give a shit about their customers.

lunge

Biscuit anyone?

Milkie
    Free Member

*Puts kettle on*

EDIT: Not much information given, such as when did you purchase them, they had a bad batch like 4 years ago.

timmys

Is this a problem with all of their pads (organic/kelvlar/sintered) or just one particular type?

wwaswas

It would be good if someone persued fruit legally for some consequential loss as a result of one of these failures, I think.

honourablegeorge

I’m guessing from the reaction it’s a fairly well trodden subject on here? Apologies if I’m going over old ground.

slugwash
    Free Member

This thread is nothing without pictures…..

slugwash
    Free Member

honourablegeorge

Don’t have the pads/bike handy to post any, unfortunately.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

SS Kevlars – best pads I’ve ever used.

thepurist

I’ve brought biccies – don’t be greedy!

xcgb
    Free Member

I was looking to buy new pads soon, never had a problem with SS ones, making me think twice now though!!!!

I use 525 brakes – anyone had those pads fail?

nonk
    Free Member

i have had that happen with hope and avid pads.

honourablegeorge

@DaveyBoyWonder – I was using the Kevlar ones, I found the pads very good too, right up to the point where I suddenly had no brake at all, because the pad material had fallen out.

xcgb
    Free Member

http://www.underdog.co.uk/ perhaps
    they may take notice then!

xcgb
    Free Member

FFS though BOTH PADS at once!!!!!!!!!!
    That is not just the odd failure

DezB
    Free Member

does this mean I can drag the old pic out?

honourablegeorge

Oddly, that’s the second picture of a woman with an octopus on her head I’ve seen this week. That’s considerably more worksafe than the first one.

_tom_
    Free Member

Superstar (avid) pads are great, had mine for fooking ages.

Milkie
    Free Member

honourablegeorge, when did you buy them?

I remember them having a bad batch 4 years ago (possibly 3)

Can only assume they don’t give a shit about their customers.

If you give them a call/email, I’m sure they’ll replace them free of charge.

slugwash
    Free Member

If you give them a call/email, I’m sure they’ll replace them free of charge.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

And my Superstar Avid copies never even fitted in the calipers.

I’m now using the more reliable EBC or Clarks versions in me Julies.

honourablegeorge

Pretty sure I don’t want replacements, Milkie. If they ever answer the phone, I’ll be looking for a refund, and an answer to the question I asked above.

clubber
    Free Member

Did you fit them with a rock?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hon. George – I think, given most experiences on this subject, you will be disappointed on both counts.

I always go for Goodridge pads. You get what you pay for.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Old pads I had delaminated (talking a few years ago) – I have SS kevlars on bought 1 year ago and they are fab and still going (but nearly spent) – are these old pads/stock and as above what type as my Juicy Kevlars are faultless!

Not had a problem myself! However is this a recent trend as I bought mine 1 year ago?

neil853
    Free Member

You get what you pay for

This isn’t always true…….

For the record i’ve had superstar pads for over three years and never had this issue.

mk1fan
    Free Member

an answer to the question I asked above.

There was an issue about four years ago with a bad batch of brake pads. The issue has long since been ressolved – although there are those that aren’t happy with the resolution – Superstar identified the faulty batches and discarded them. Those that returned pads got a refund or replacements from a non-affected batch.

As already been posted it’s not a failure exclusive to Superstar and other makes are liable to failing apart.

Personally, I’ve had a pair of Avid pads delaminate as well as a Superstar pair.

yunki
    Free Member

mine are ace.. sintered for winter and doing the business..

(maybe I should write advertising slogans for use in 90s superbike magazines… hmm)

titusrider
    Free Member

p.s. on a side note magura dont warranty their brakes if you use any other make of pad

foxyrider
    Free Member

p.s. on a side note magura dont warranty their brakes if you use any other make of pad

Erm how would they prove it?

bigjim

Superstar pads work fine for me. Other brands come apart too, if you google for that too you might find that too if that is your method.

Having seen the way a lot of people seem to put their wheels in, as in repeatedly shoving the wheel in to get the rotor past into the gap between the pads rather than gently guiding it in, I’m surprised the trails aren’t littered with bodies.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Superstar pads are the nuts and are cheap used them for ages and I trust them completely. Pads sometimes go and all makes do it.

On mountain bikes sometimes things break put some new pads in and have a nice cuppa.

Shackleton

5 pairs of disc brakes running various flavours of SS pads and nary a problem over 4 years of doing so.

Given how many they sell having a few go wrong isn’t surprising. FWIW I’ve have branded formula and avid pads delaminate, collapse, etc. A bit of perspective needed maybe?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

@DaveyBoyWonder – I was using the Kevlar ones, I found the pads very good too, right up to the point where I suddenly had no brake at all, because the pad material had fallen out.

To be honest, if mine fell apart now I’d not be bothered. First set lasted me a week of Alpine riding in Verbier which I thought was pretty good. Fitted another set just after I got back and crazily they’ve lasted 2 winters and all last summer. Still got a fair bit of life in them too. Can’t quite believe how long they’re lasting!

xiphon
    Free Member

My SS pads stop me perfectly well, on both bikes they are fitted to.

No complaints 🙂

Gary_C

Hmmm…

honourablegeorge – Member
    I’ve got Saints on two bikes, and the Superstar Red pads (dual something or whatever) are very good.

Posted 3 months ago #

😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m happy to add to the fact that I’ve had multiple sets of superstar pads on 2 bikes for 4+ years and never had the problem, doesn’t mean there wasn’t/isn’t one though. Those pads look severely rusty behind the friction material. I do wonder how many people put their bike back wet and expect all to be well when they next ride it. That said, how much can you be expected to clean and dry after each ride and how much is that unavoidable?

FWIW I’ve had other MAJOR manufacturers pads literally crumble in my fingers because they were left wet and the mettalic component in the friction material crumbled.

Trimix
    Free Member

I had a problem with two sets that didnt stop well, sent them back and they were replaced free of charge. Also got some sweets in the box. Seemed like a good service to me.

hilldodger
    Free Member

All parts can fail, some companies deal with it in different ways.
    I’ve used SS pads all through the octopus era up ’til now, never had a failure.

Seem good to me, and as they wind certain people up to the point of internet arson that’s even gooderer 😆

slugwash
    Free Member

There was an issue about four years ago with a bad batch of brake pads. The issue has long since been ressolved – although there are those that aren’t happy with the resolution – Superstar identified the faulty batches and discarded them. Those that returned pads got a refund or replacements from a non-affected batch.

Maybe. I bought mine in 2009 BTW.

mine are ace.. sintered for winter and doing the business..

Not had a problem myself! However is this a recent trend as I bought mine 1 year ago?

Yunki & Foxy, I’ll slip my non-fitting avid copies into my bag and the first one of you I come across on Dartmoor or at Haldon gets them 😉

Those pads look severely rusty behind the friction material

Yeah, probably because they were not bonded on properly, or something!

I’m surprised the trails aren’t littered with bodies.

They are after I’ve ridden down them whatever brand of brake pads I’m wearing 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Brake Pads – why haven't they recalled them?’ is closed to new replies.