Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Superstar Brake hoses …. anyone use them ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

I need some longer hoses on my cheaply bought shimano brakes , just wondering if anyone uses the superstar hoses and fitting kits ?
    good for the money ?

eugeo81
    Free Member

Watching this one with interest. I am waiting for mine to turn up in the post, but keeping my fingers crossed i have got a longer back hose.

smg13
    Free Member

Used their Kevlar braided hose and fitting kit and the hose cut really well and fitted the fittings no problems.Been on there now for about 3 weeks done about 15 rides with them and had no problems. I used their hose cutter as well and also bought a jagwire needle tool the one used for pushing the hose end fitting in dont know the proper name someone may know the correct term

composite
    Free Member

I have been using the 5 layer braided hose for about 8 months now, with no problems what so ever. They cut well leaving a clean edge but that was using proper hose cutters.

The hose is the same diameter as the normal black ones. I was very careful about removing the olive etc and reused the old fixings, so can’t comment on the fixing kits.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=430

EDIT: I’m using them on Hope X2s.

Northwind

I put a set on some Formula Oros, the hose is indistinguishable from the OEM. The fittings were a bit clunkier and heavier though. But then they’re miles cheaper. (I ended up reusing assorted Formula fittings on the hoses to shed those essential grams 😉 )

captaindanger

Yeah they are fine but the fixings can be a bit industrial, do the job though

andyrm
    Free Member

Got them on both my big bikes and been running them on Zee brakes since September with zero issues. Just like OEM and fittings are good quality too.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I fitted them a few weeks back, not the braided ones, also on my cheaply bought Shimano brakes, and they seem to be fine. Cut wit ha new stanley blade and the fittings were also fine. I dipped the hose end in boiling water before inserting the brass insert, made it easier to push in.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Probably my incompetence but mine leaked oil all over the garage floor, no problems since buying the Shimano hose instead

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Bought some when they first started doing them. Catastrophic failure on first use, redid Fixings and tried again. Same thing. Took it all off and launched into the bin.

May have been a problem with early ones but not components I’ll be risking using again…

Northwind

Trying to think of a delicate way to put this… You reused the compression fittings after a failure?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

No.

Hence binning the lot.

Northwind

OK, so- you had a failure on first use, you redid the fixings… So you replaced the olives?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Yes.

Northwind

OK, thanks for clearing that up, I was very close to going off completely halfcocked there 😳

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry didn’t exactly make it clear!

Bought kit, fitted, failed.
    Bought new fitting kit fitted, failed.

Threw massive tantrum, launched the lot in the bin and vowed never to buy SS kit again.

3weeks later bought 8 sets of bake pads 😆

Ambrose

Full set, front and back, fittings and all. Braided. No problems whatsoever after 18 months, including two Alps trips.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Brake hoses …. anyone use them ?’ is closed to new replies.