Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Superstar Bottom Brackets?
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience of the Superstar Angletech ceramic GXP Bottom Brackets?

The reviews on the Superstar website are pretty poor, just wondering if they are a truthful reflection of the product.

mtbfix

I had one. Seized within two months use this spring. I think the consensus on GXP is to buy a Hope BB with the adaptor.

mokl
    Free Member

Mine lasted only a couple of months as above. The current sram team gxp is lasting very well for me.

wrecker
    Free Member

Mountain biking rule #27; never buy anything with bearings from superstar components.

Toasty

Isn’t it just the ceramic BBs they do that used to be dodgy? No issue with their hubs or headsets here.

davesmate
    Free Member

Had a couple of BB’s from superstar, one lasted a month the other 2 rides. Really wanted them to be good as, apart from the self adhesive puncture patches,everything else I’ve had off them has been spot on

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Isn’t it just the ceramic BBs they do that used to be dodgy?

In my experience, their standard HT2 BBs are very poor. One of the most disappointing cycling purchases I’ve ever made.

As per mtbfix – go Hope with an adaptor and reap the benefits.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got one of their standard ht2 bbs. I can’t kill the thing and it’s over two years old now.

it’s worth adding that many (most?) people over tighten the chainset onto the bb which kills the bearings…

Chunk
    Free Member

heard they are shite and go with hope as above.

Kahurangi

I had a HT2 one. Sealing on the bearings was very poor and lasted weeks if not months. Normally you’d use 2RS bearing on each side, where each side of the bearing has a seal. The one I got had one sealed side and one non-sealed side IIRC. This was a couple of years ago though.

renton
    Free Member

The one I had was ****!! Lasted a week and then went in the bin!

Kale
    Free Member

I have a SuperHD HT2 in a Trek remedy and it’s been hammered for two winters now. Easy to get into, so I have cleaned and re-greased it a few times. No complaints.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Are their Isis BB’s as bad?

gazc
    Free Member

had one – lasted 2 days on a bike tour till it developed play and an incessant creaking for the rest of the trip. straight in the bin afterwards

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ceramic one lasted about 3 months …….. now gaining dust in the cupboard, just incase I need one that rumbles and grinds.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I got an Isis BB from them a few months ago, going ok so far.

argoose
    Free Member
    honourablegeorge

gazc – Member
    had one – lasted 2 days on a bike tour till it developed play and an incessant creaking for the rest of the trip. straight in the bin afterwards

Dunno what they cost, but straight in the bin? Warranty, surely?

_tom_
    Free Member

The isis bb I got from them was alright, didn’t creak or anything so can’t complain!

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’m not feeling much love for the Superstar BB’s!

I didn’t realise that Uberbike did BB’s (thanks argoose) – been impressed with them before so may well give them a chance with their ceramic BB.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Bottom-Bracket-Ceramic-68-73mm—Black-Truvativ-SRAM-GXP-MTB-Road-Compatible

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have an Uberbike BB and can honestly say, although on my road bike is the free-ist spinning BB I have. Just built a new road bike and the 105 groupset was all new, but the ‘used’ Uberbike BB went in rather than the 105. It has been out all winter and is so smooth. They do replacement bearings for it and thought about buying some for a Hope BB i keep regreasing up. Mine is the stainless one and I cannot imagine the ceramic being any smoother.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Mountain biking rule #27; never buy anything with bearings from superstar components.

I have an Aerozine HTII BB from Superstar – about three years in and still in fine fettle. Unfortunately they don’t sell them any more…

mrsi
    Free Member

In general I’ve been please with SS stuff, had a few pairs of wheels, chainguides, rotors, all good. Their bottom brackets however, are utter toss. Tried one a while back and had creaking and grating after two rides. Straight in the bin it went and I bough a second hand hope one which is still going two winters later.

moonboy
    Free Member

Fitted a HTII Superstar BB to my PA nearly 2 years ago.

Commute to work 3-4 times per week and twice a week laps of the local woods. Plus some weekend riding when I feel like taking the HT. In winter its my main bike and takes a lot of miles.

Just started to develop some play last week and still spins fairly smooth. Have never opened it up in all that time.

For a little of £20 I think that’s more than fair. So a shiney new one is sitting waiting to be fitted…

(I’ve had to put in new bearings to my Hope ProIIs in the same time frame and not complaining about that either)

ransos
    Free Member

HT2 Superstar BB lasted just a few muddy rides for me. I had over 18 months out of the FSA that preceeded it, and the Hope I have now is still going strong, so I don’t think it’s incorrect installation.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Mountain biking rule #27; never buy anything with bearings from superstar components

*does not apply to pedals.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Bottom Brackets?’ is closed to new replies.