Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Superstar 29er Wheelset
  • rhid

Has anyone used or seen anyone using the below wheelset?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_reviews.php?cPath=40&products_id=632

I need a budget set for a build and these seem to fit the bill.

Thanks

RHid

andyrm
    Free Member

Know a good few mates have them in 26″ flavour and all good.

Although doubtless there will be someone on here along in a moment to say that you will actually die in a big fire, lightning and that Neil from Superstar once said something about 5 years ago.

Anyways, they are decent enough wheels especially at that price.

honourablegeorge

Superstar wheels seem top be of fairly variable quality.

Wheel buuilds can be good or awful – worth budgeting for someone reliable to give them the once over when delivered.

Freehb failures seem to be common on their hubs, several friends unhappy, though that might be their Tesla ones, as opposed to the cheaper Switch.

Bearings can be iffy too, but are easily and cheaply replaced if they do.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads678

I had those on an Inbred 29er. Bike was used for commuting and a bit of light off road so I never hammered them but I am heavy and they seemed decent for the time I had them. About 8 months. (sold whole bike for a road bike)

I’d recommend them, but like others have said there seems to be other that have loosened up straight away, but it’ll probably only cost a tenner a wheel to get them trued after a month or so.

jonnyseven

Personal experience (different wheels)is perfectly true wheels but not enough tension to the spokes. Took them to the LBS where £20 sorted it – and said they had seen this before. Far too much hassle to return. Been great otherwise.

steezysix
    Free Member

Been using them on my touring bike and am perfectly happy. Not done any rough off road stuff but done 1000+ miles with touring loads and they’re still running nice and true.

ianwilly
    Free Member

I have a set of superstar 29er wheels. 1000+ miles off road and still going strong…

Cant beat them for the money…

davosaurusrex

I had the Teslas on Pacenti TL28 29ers, was happy with them until the freehub failed twice (first time no engagement, second time seized solid….) in under 200 miles. Other SS hubs may vary.
    Although doubtless Andy-the customer is always wrong-rm will be along in a minute to play his usual SS fanboi role and accuse anyone who has had a bad experience with SS of being a deluded whinger with an invalid opinion. Oh, hang on, first reply too.

acidchunks
    Candodavid
    Free Member

Got a set of XCX in the garage spare, interested ?

akira

Had some 29er wheels from them, lost all tension on second ride. Had to rebuild rear wheel completely, they are cheap but be careful about build quality.

Northwind

Mine aren’t that same model, but it’s the builds that are suss… The rear is fine, the front is all over the place. Now considering it’s a “bombproof XC wheel” and it’s on my hybrid, either I have some very gnarly tarmac/canal paths, or they’ve made a **** of it.

Now fair play, they offer free retruing and I’ve not taken them up on that as it’s such a hassle so, I don’t want to slag them too hard when they’ve not had the chance to fix it. But it’s still a bit poo.

dantsw13

I have a SsTactic 29er wheelset with Tesla hubs. The freewheel failed, so SS replaced it with a Tesla Evo hub FOC.

I wouldn’t buy another Tesla hub, but I’m happy with the Tesla Evo.

When the freehub failed, I took it apart, as I suspected the bearings. The bearings /freehub still looked like new, so the seals must be pretty good, the freehub just refused to turn despite no obvious fault.

BillOddie

I have some 29er SS Switch on Pacenti DL31 wheels and have done about 1200km on them so far this year.

I have had one spoke loosen off but apart from that they have been fine… TOUCH WOOD.

Same goes for an old set of 26er Superstar wheels and they saw action on my big forked hardtail which eats rear wheels for brekky.

wilko1999
    Free Member

If you can stretch that little bit further how about a set of these:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/red-power-29-xl-disc-6-bolt-54317/wg_id-2376

Just bought myself a pair 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Superstar 29er Wheelset’ is closed to new replies.