Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Supermarkets – any fresh food in them?
  • cinnamon_girl

Some fresh fruit and salad would be lovely but is there actually any to buy in Southern supermarkets?

Interesting meals being produced now with wonderful combinations 😯 Thank goodness the booze cupboard is well-stocked 8)

Any information gratefully received but rest assured I won't starve!

thejesmonddingo

Morrisons in Barnsley very well stocked,thank you.
    Ian

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There may well be, but could I get any Shichimi t?garashi in Chinatown? Could I **** as like!

Time to think of another dinner idea.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bunnyhop

The people in our village went mad on Saturday and stripped the shelves of our local co-op of all fresh produce, bread and milk.

Bloody panic buyers!

Back to normal now though.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Had to go to Exeter yesterday so popped back around Sainsbury's cos we're 9miles out 'in the sticks' up steep lanes, keep getting iced in and have more snow forecast on the way!
    So…. I admit to not checking the fresh salad, very remiss of me! most of the shelves were ok, apart from the fresh chicken(?), but the best bit was trying to leave. Queues of city people panic buying jamming up the checkouts, when in reality I expect most could walk there in an emergency.
    Did see friend from village doing same as us…..
    Managed to get an oil delivery this week ( phew! ) so that's ok, just need the log man to pop in and we'll be fine.
    CG are you rural or city slicker?
    I think us rural lot seem to have a ready supply stocked in freezer just for such occasions – snow, flood, plague, pestilence etc…!
    take care all out there
    Q

mboy
    Free Member

Not a loaf of bread in my local supermarket yesterday, and fruit and veg was looking a bit thin on the ground too…

Still, might as well stock up on frozen food now we've got all got an enormous outdoor freezer for the forseeable future! 😕

Drac

Of course there is.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Morrisons in Barnsley very well stocked,thank you

So the people of Barnsley dont buy fresh food. What a shock

nacho
    Free Member

Sainsburys Exter must be the place to go, we are 5 miles out and live down an icy lane wife made the journey yesterday to get milk for the little uns and top up the freezer (could ahve used the garden). Christowkid, we are low on oil and have to wait two weeks but loads of logs – swap? 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

i picked some oranges from the garden today

teagirl
    Free Member

Salad isn't very seasonal 😉

mrchrispy

admin plz ban rocketdog

kennyp
    Free Member

Not a loaf of bread in my local supermarket yesterday

You could always make your own I guess. Probably healthier and definitely tastier. And no problem at all with a bread making machine.

Drac

i picked some oranges from the garden today

I started building an igloo.

As KennyP says make your own and piece of piss without a breadmaker.

cinnamon_girl

Oooh, hadn't thought of people needing oil 😳 Hope you are all warm, rural living must be quite challenging in these extreme conditions.

I will need to dig out the car, must have my Saturday newspaper cos it's the law 😀

Salad is eaten all year round in CG Towers cos I don't do cooking 😳

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Just had ours delivered by tescos, and the only thing wrong with the order was the vegi sausages having a short shelf life. So i take it no shortages in Dorset.

cinnamon_girl

rusty – have you had any snow yet?

Christowkid
    Free Member

nacho:
    'swap…?' nah, not enough suck!
    Ermmmm changing the subject quickly…… do you have a contract with anyone or simply ring round for cheapest?
    we've a contract with Watsons, so we pay £x per month and ring up when low. We used to ring round and go for cheapest, but it often was Watsons and using a contract means it's like any other utility. Friends are on 'top up' so whenever they pass they top it up. That's ok but you pay whatever the daily rate is per litre. Our delivery man said it was a lottery at present, and was delivering to people who'd run out. If you've no loyalty, try ringing round to see who can get you some – even if it's only a couple hunded litres to get you through. Runnning out has all sorts of problems, like having to re-prime the boiler etc….. ( hope you get some.)

CG: yes it is 'fun' but always worth it. Seems to be a big city/rural divide happening at moment. When the news screams at 'pavements not being gritted…..gas getting low…' the townies seem to get hot under the collar whilst we yokels all chuckle. Yesterday a small gritter came around the village. One villager said it's the first time in over 30 years we've had our roads gritted, and no one for miles on gas, hence need for logs and oil. Townies don't know their born 🙄
    When our rural schools can't open because they can't get the kids in from rural areas ( not teachers! ) there's outcry. Currently friends debating this point and getting quite warm under collar, town v country as we had to decide whether to run/cancel a ceilidh running in town. We've just cancelled due to weather, for the first time ever. People like my oil lorry and gritting team both said beyond the main roads, it's a skating rink, sheet ice in lanes for miles, and in Devon, steep lanes!
    Ice + lanes + steep = 😐
    ….but yes, it's worth it!!!!
    keep safe
    Q

Christowkid
    Free Member

ps….
    CG got a mean leek and potato soup recipe for such weather, love salads, but need hot soup!
    Q

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

C_G – not enough to worry about. Roads are clear, paths a little icy, gardens a little white (inch perhaps wednesday).

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Supermarkets – any fresh food in them?

Its winter we're not supposed to be eating fresh food at this time of year unless its sprouts turnips or swedes.

brakes
    Free Member

people are f****ng stupid

bananaworld
    Free Member

Why's that, bakes…?

v10
    Free Member

Both my local supermarkets have ran out of salt… i only want it for cooking though! 🙄

valleydaddy
    Free Member

**** it get doooown the chippy spuds are mega!!!!!

cinnamon_girl

Cupboards replenished as well as fridge and freezer. Seemed to a family day out in Sainsbury's today. Family activites seem to be different from my day 🙄

Icing on the cake was not being able to park car on driveway on my return. Cue driver behind getting out and giving me a push whilst telling me not to over-rev it 🙄

Hope everyone else managed OK!

toys19
    Free Member

Update on Exeter Supermarkets – Tesco Sowton packed with everything which was nice seeing as wife hadn't left the house for 9 days and thought the world was coming to an end..

Christowkid
    Free Member

Got a call at 7pm " can I bring you some logs….now?"
    "YESSSSS!!!!"
    Got here around 8pm and i spent til 9pm stacking them. We sure know how to have a good night out down here!!!!!
    Still, nice bloke, he was worried that we'd have no heating with more forecast tomorrow.
    Hamishthecat from this forum's just told me he's waiting for him too!

toys: heh heh…like it! apparently Asda in Newton well stocked too, but very busy.

Right, now we're all stocked up, bring on Winter no.2!
    take it easy people
    Qx

grumm
    Free Member

Not much in my local Sainsburys.

Went into town today with the gf to get her dad a birthday pressie. Was slightly amazed by how many people were out buying stuff in HMV etc when we are apparently in the middle of the worst recession in x many years AND the worst winter weather in x many years – heartwarming eh? 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

Loads of frozen veg and probably just as nutitious as 'fresh' at least thats what I told the misses having found no fresh in the shop on the way home this morning.

Farrago
    Free Member

No fresh fish in my part of Edinburgh (presume the boats can't get out?). Fruit and veg seems as normal. The woman in front of me seemed to be panic buying rice milk drinks – she had about 12 cartons of the stuff in a variety of brands… It seemed really busy though, possibly cos it's walkable for a lot of people who would usually drive to bigger supermarkets. Doubt there's going to be much of an issue in Britain given how much is imported anyway.

brakes
    Free Member

my local Tesco Metro has ran out of carrier bags…
    and now pedal-bin bags as they were giving them out instead
    made me chuckle

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Supermarkets – any fresh food in them?’ is closed to new replies.