Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Supermarket pizza, which is best? A recommendation thread.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well having just had a Dr Oetker’s Casa di Mama’s Diavola pizza I must say it’s the best home pizza I have ever tasted, even though I cooked it wrongly (no English instructions & I’m thick) it still tasted divine, well after I took a few of the chillies off so I could taste the other ingredients it did 😉

So what would you recommend?

Cheers.

sc-xc

My favourite ones are the chicago town takeaway ones that you put in an un preheated oven. I always add 2 or 3 bird eye chilis though, I love a hot pizza!

Rich
    Free Member

Aldi thin crust sweet chilli chicken is my favourite at the moment.

Only £1.50 too.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s Italian range are my favourite. Lovely with some potato salad.

Harry_the_Spider

Half price Pizza Expresss jobs from Tescers.

bland

You beat me, Aldi is by far the best for dough and a euro style pizza( i.e. not overloaded and thin)

Lidl also rank highly for their cheese and tom which you can add your own stuff to.

Asda are terrible, morrisons and like card, tesco are crap and chicago town must have more salt than a salty dog!

Houns

Pizza Express Padana

brakes
    Free Member

Marks & Spencer ones

cynic-al
    Free Member

PE FTW…co-op not too bad. Will try Aldi.

iain1775
    Free Member

I like tha Asda ones you get made up while you wait
    Although all supermarket pizzas are genrally pretty rubbish

soops
    Free Member

Asda pizza counter made ones

anagallis_arvensis

I was going to say Lidl, very nice and very cheap.

ivixxiv
    Free Member

Asda, about the only decent food in that sorry excuse for a supermarket

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pizza Express margherita… add your own capers and anchovies.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I don’t bother with Asda, as I usually have to go to Morrisons afterwards to finish off the stuff that Asda didn’t have. you know, fruit, veg, that kind of thing

Can’t remember the last time I had a supermarket pizza, but it was probably from Aldi

RustySpanner

Another vote for the Asda ones made in store:

The thin crust and stonebaked bases are nice and crispy when cooked and you can choose your own toppings, and the quantities of each.

Much nicer than the Tesco, Morrisons or M & S ones.
    Not tried the Aldi ones though, TBH.

And I’ve never been in an Asda that didn’t have a decent fruit and veg section, usually right near the main entrance. 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Asda ones made in store are pretty good.

The best ones I have tried over the years were the ones that Safeway used to do, the base was lovely for a supermarket pizza. Just a shame that Morrisons did away with them after they took Safeway over 🙁

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Simple Aldi and lidl cheese and tomato and then add your own topping if you have to have supermarket pizza.
    although the best are homemade pizzas from scratch. add prosciutto ham chorizo and chopped hot dogs and you have restaurant quality. costs about 3 quid a pizza but by far the best. big pizzas so eat hot for dinner and cold pizza for lunch the next day.

footflaps

Pizza Express Sloppy Guiseppe for £1.89 in Tesco at the moment..

molgrips
    Free Member

Pizza Express from Tesco, drizzle olive oil on before you cook. The packet says it’s optional, I’d say it’s essential, otherwise it’s nothing special.

SamB
    Free Member

Pizza Express from the supermarket are awful!!

I’m quite partial to the Waitrose own-brand range – ham & mushroom / pepperoni / hot pepperoni are all good.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Co-op (finest type)own brand margherita. Add stuff to taste. Easily beAts the pizza express ones. Second place probably some of the waitrose own brand ones

robgarrioch

Waitrose Caramelised Onion + Feta Cheese…. no contest!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I find the Pizza Express ones to be particularly shite.

I like the Asda deli ones too. The Co-op Stonebaked ones gave a pretty authentic tasting base.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference range and Waitrose are both good.

Waitrose has the fancier/odder ingredients. Pear and blue cheese?

poppa
    Free Member

I like the Waitrose chilled (not frozen) ones. I guess it depends on whether you want American pizza or Italian pizza too.

Drac

Asda pizza counter ones win hands down. Pizza express and oetker or just disgusting horrible sloppy crap.

spacemonkey

Have any of you lot tried making your own? Far, far better than anything ‘commercial’.

Plenty of online recipes for sorting out the dough + pick your toppings + 10 mins on 230deg = major nom noms.

_tom_
    Free Member

Pizza Express and Ristorante!

loddrik
    Free Member

Asda are way ahead of everything else. £3.49 for a huge fresh pizza. Lovely they are too.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have any of you lot tried making your own? Far, far better than anything ‘commercial’.

Yes. I’m not a supermarket though, so I don’t think it counts. Waitrose spinach and ricotta for me, or Pizza Express.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Asda for me! And they seem to win awards too 😯

American hot is my favourate 😆

should we start a supermarket curry tread, or has it been done?

poppa
    Free Member

Supermarket currys never seem to taste quite right to me.

samuri
    Free Member

ASDA make while you wait are by far the nicest pizza’s.

And yes, supermarket currys always seem to be a little funny.

Hohum
    Free Member

ciderinsport – Member
    Asda for me! And they seem to win awards too

American hot is my favourate

should we start a supermarket curry tread, or has it been done?

We had a supermarket curry thread not that long ago.

I think Asda came out quite favourably in that thread as well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We had a supermarket curry thread not that long ago.

I think Asda came out quite favourably in that thread as well.
    This is correct.

Their Vindaloo is especially good and surprisingly healthy (for a curry). I would go so far as to say theirs are better than lots of curry restaurant food.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Chicago Town ones with the tomato stuffed crusts… awesome

Andituk
    Free Member

Asda thin crust vegetable ones with a bit of extra mozerella.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had a Dr. Oatcakes one – ONCE. It was bloody awful and saltier than an anchovies salty balls.

The Asda “create your own” are in a league of their own. They are good value and built to your spec with quality ingredients.

PE ones don’t have enough mozzarella on them and they are generally wayyyyyy overpriced.

Cletus

I like the M&S Hickory Steak pizzas although they are not as good as they used to be.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Supermarket pizza, which is best? A recommendation thread.’ is closed to new replies.