Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Supermarket Challenge (Healthy-ish eating content…)
  • siwhite
    Free Member

In my current role I often have a spare ten minutes to wander across to my local generic Supermarket, whose logo happens to be orange. I often find myself without either lunch or supper (depending on which shift I am working) particularly if I cycle in. I have access to what is optimistically described as a kitchen – it has a microwave, a toaster and a hot water boiler. I am trying to eat fairly healthily for weight loss (low sugar, low carb and nothing processed). My current ‘go to’ meal is a tin of baked beans mixed with a tin of tuna on toast.

With my limited cooking facilities, what would you recommend as the basis of a healthy, inexpensive and interesting meal? I sometimes have a good bit of time to ‘cook’ so complex concoctions are not impossible.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Noodles, CousCous, Sushi, tinned soup, tinned fish (your work colleagues won’t thank you), jacket potato out of the microwave, rice cakes, salad. Chill and other sauces to add flavour – might not be particularly healthy but you don’t use alot.

mattyfez

3 bean salad,

Tuna or salmon or makeral pasta with sweetcorn and salad, maybe less pasta and more salad if you want.

Or substitute pasta with cous cous.

Just some thoughts.

edit,you could use driesd chilli flakes instead of sauce for a bit of heat if you want.

yunki
    Free Member

err…. I woulda thought fresh fruit and veg raw or steamed with the most efficient protein of your choice would be better than carby stodge and processed non-food?

maybe add rice if you really need the carbs?

Cougar

When you make tea (dinner, evening meal) double quantities. Fridge / freeze in reheat the next day.

km79
    Free Member

You can cook most things in a microwave that you can on a cooker/hob.

Toast 2 slices of bread, top with some washed ready to eat spinach, cook scramble eggs in a mug in the microwave, bacon optional (cook upto 4 rashers at a time between 2 layers of kitchen paper), add on top of spinach, serve with baked beans and cherry tomatoes.

siwhite
    Free Member

KM79 – that sounds epic. Just the sort of thing I am after. Thank-you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Supermarket Challenge (Healthy-ish eating content…)’ is closed to new replies.