Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Superglueing bb cable guides
  • Pook

When ‘tapping’ my chainset out to replace the BB, i managed to catch the bb cable guide with the mallet. Snapped it clean off.
    As i commute on the bike, I’ve ordered a replacement and superglued it to cope until the new part arrives.

1) Will it stick, or am i going to get halfway to work and then have to push the rest after it snaps off again?

Anyone done it before?

Kahurangi

“cable guide” or the “cable stop” where the length of outer stops?

You may be better off adjusting the mech to give you one chainring before you start!

Pook

the guide that routes the exposed cable under the bottom bracket. It’s a rockhopper so fully exposed cabling on the downtube all the way to the rear mech, but routed in this little bit of non-mallet proof plastic….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

What Jon T said. Put it in the chain ring you want and then duct tape over it, to stop it falling off/out. Just remember not to try and shift chain rings.

Pook

it’s the rear mech bit so bit more annoying. I live in Sheff and will be commuting to rotherham so don’t fancy singlespeeding!

geoffj

I doubt superglue would hold it in place.

Kahurangi

If it’s just the plastic guide thing for the inner wire then it’ll be fine.

IANABSM (I Am Not a Bike Shop Mechanic)

Pook

it’s one of these…

just to clarify. The smaller guide bit has snapped off

bassspine
    Free Member

1) how the f did you miss the crankset and hit that?
    2) it’ll be fine until you get the new one. IAABSM.

foxyrider
    Free Member

just wrap the whole thing around with gaffa after you have stuck it with glue – It should have enough tension on it from the cable to keep it stuck down 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shoould be fine. IWABM

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I used some double sided trim tape to hold one of these in place – the tape is the stuff Halfords sell tp attach car badges etc. Quite sturdy stuff and designed to attach plastic to painted surfaces.

TimS
    Free Member

Superglue will probably hold it. I superglued two bits of metal together at work a few weeks ago – can’t separate them even when one part is held in a vice and the second is clobbered with a mallet… 👿

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I used to cable tie mine on

Pook

bassspine – Member
    1) how the f did you miss the crankset and hit that?
    2) it’ll be fine until you get the new one. IAABSM.

1) bike on it’s head, trying to hit the crank bolts so as not to bend my chainrings as i ‘tapped*’ it off.
    2)thanks

*hit it with as much force as my arms could manage.

Anyway – it worked! 17 miles commuted today on canal towpaths, through the woods and on roads, including some steps and sheffield roads. fine and dandy.

bassspine
    Free Member

Anyway – it worked!… fine and dandy.

excellent 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Superglueing bb cable guides’ is closed to new replies.