Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Super Star Componants – Good Service
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

Well…

I bought a pair of wheels from them on Friday of last week and with the bank holiday they arrived on Tuesday 🙂 Happy days… (Super fast delivery)

I fit them on the bike at Tuesday dinnertime ready for the regular Tuesday evening ride everything is going well so far 🙂

Got home on Tuesday from work excited to trying my new wheels out, set off on the ride and met up with the rest of the group and we was off…

Everything started well, with the odd ping from the spokes (that you get from new wheels) after a while I noticed the rear wheel started to buckled, thought nothing to much of it, I thought when I get home I will just put it on the jig and true it up. And about 10mi in to the ride I was going round a corner and the back end felt like it sank and the wheel was touching the frame 🙁
    It wasn’t a fast, rocky, or bad corner it was flat and smooth.

So when I got home I striped down my bike and packed the wheels up and sent them back on Wednesday, then phoned them up on Thursday.
    I explained that I was going up to Glentress this weekend and I need the wheels for that etc…
    He then explained that the warranty department was quiet at the mo and he would have a look at them and see what he could do.

I got in to work this morning and a parcel has just arrived and it was my wheels, with a brand new rear wheel 🙂

Luckily I was not too sure if the wheels were going to be back, so I borrowed a rear wheel of a mate, so I am not too sure if I should swap them over or wait until I get back to test them just in case.

This is a tribute to the postal service's and Superstar Components

Cheers Guys 🙂

p.s. I buy my pads from them and have never had any problems. So going to buy be SS kit from them when my new bike comes and convert the old orange to SS.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

My hope wheels didn't fold in half, so I didn't have to warranty them. HTH.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

with the odd ping from the spokes (that you get from new wheels)

Not properly built ones you don't. I'm only an ameteur wheelbuilder (I've built about 10-15 so far) and mine are silent from the off. 🙂

Nezbo
    Free Member

me to mate 🙂

whats HTH stand for?

DezB
    Free Member

(Hope That Helps – usually meant sarcastically)

nickegg
    Free Member

HTH = Hope That Helps.

Lets hope you're replacement wheel doesn't do the same though!

takisawa2

Chap at a bike shop told me to always de-stress a wheel after building/any truing work. Hold it axle to ground, & flex the rim around its edge, on both sides. Can hear spokes pinging as they unwind or something like that. I remember not doing it once & the wheel buckled first time out.
    I'd not use a new wheelset on a big ride first time out without a few local shakedowns first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"Happy to help".

Sometimes (i.e. always) used with sarcasm.

benz
    Free Member

Mmmmm…I have to be honest and state that for rear wheels, I have noticed a ping on the initial pedal stroke.

Rear wheels from Merlin (a few) and also where other wheels re-tensioned by my LBS.

Only rears I have not heard this initial ping is Crossrides on my Trance….

That said, all rear wheels which have gone ping are still true.

messiah
    Free Member

Good customer service… crap wheel build. HTH 🙄

See what I did there?

Good wasn't it :mrgreen:

alexxx
    Free Member

yeah but my hope wheels are **** with freehub body made of cheese and has a tendency to fall off the wheel for no reason other than a shit design, nice point tree magnet.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

alexxx – Member
    yeah but my hope wheels are **** with freehub body made of cheese and has a tendency to fall off the wheel for no reason other than a shit design, nice point tree magnet.

Mine aren't and don't.

hth. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hold it axle to ground, & flex the rim around its edge, on both sides

Yep, that's it. Also, squeeze each pair of spokes together with your hands.

Ususlly, on the first go, the wheel goes slightly out of true, then I tweak that out and try again and it stays where it is the second time. (Apart from once, but that's a different story altogether!)

🙂

rOcKeTdOg

al wheels will ping first time even after de-stressing, and you should always retension after the first ride too, but they shouldn't "touch the frame" did SS give you any feedback as to what was wrong? as there must have been some issue if they sent you a new wheel straight off

Nezbo
    Free Member

hehe cheers 🙂

I will just send them back if it bends, to be fair, it was a bit strange how easly it bent.

I ride fast but i ride light, I usaly ride with mavic xc717 and they have been good for me for years thay are stated as strong as the 719's so should be ok *finger crossed*

KINGTUT
    Free Member

tree-magnet – Member

alexxx – Member

Mine aren't and don't.

hth.

Mine aren't and don't too, HTH.

bobbyspangles

wheels do need to be de stressed before use. have a good time in Scotland!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

al wheels will ping first time even after de-stressing

The ones I've built (and used myself, can't say for the ones I've built for other people) don't. 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I had a similar experience with a hope ProII Hoop a couple of years back. I used it at the ten @ kirroughtree and even though it wasnt folded it was a write off without any impacts.

Its replacement has been faultless for 2 years.

I buy into the good/bad wheel builder thing but i also take it with a pinch of salt too. A certain highly recommended wheelbuilders built a friend of mine a set of Hope wheels and the front banjoed very early and the rear not long after. He wasnt very complementary about the build.

As with most things like that, there is an element of luck in getting a good build.

Nezbo
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – They said it was a material fault in the rim…

cynic-al
    Free Member

mavic xc717 and they have been good for me for years thay are stated as strong as the 719's

WTF

sv

No pinging from my own handbuilt wheels either, de-stressed as they are built you see – HTH.

(Wheelpro graduate)

Nezbo
    Free Member

mavic xc717 and they have been good for me for years thay are stated as strong as the 719's

WTF

sorry the rims on the SSC wheel are meant Very similar in weight, performance and dimensions to Mavic 719s

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there is an element of luck in getting a good build.

I disagree – it's a simple mechanical procedure. The luck comes in on not inadvertently twatting it on some awkward ground feature.

matt_bl
    Free Member

sv – Member
    No pinging from my own handbuilt wheels either, de-stressed as they are built you see – HTH.

(Wheelpro graduate)

Completely agree with the above, the Wheelpro book emphasises good practice right from the off.

I can't complain about Superstar's delivery though, or to date the performance of their brake pads.

Matt

devs
    Free Member

I ordered pedals from SS at lunchtime tues. Got an email saying they had been despatched 10 mins later. They arrived 1st thing wed. that would be great service if I lived down south. I don't, I live in the North of Scotland so I am well impressed with that. Dunno if I would trust a wheelset but I'm happy to get pads, BBs and (reduced price) pedals from him!

lcj

My superstar wheels are sitting very happily on my summer season, no pinging, no buckling and regular abuse. I'm happy with them and my lairy superstar grips.

HTH

footstomper
    Free Member

Are you going to trust them at Glentress Neil 😕 better take a spare just in case 😉 we wouldn't want you missing all the fun again.
    Two weeks on the run with mechanical problems we are going to start calling you Eddie No2 😀 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Don't you tighten the spokes a three-quarter turn then turn them back one quarter to reduce the twist?

I still had a pit of ping on my last wheelbuild, but did the things mentioned above, re-trued and it seems OK.

docrobster
    Free Member

Hmmm I was toying with the idea of some superstar wheels as a cheap replacement for my 4yr old rear (shimano c+c hub, worn to buggery)
    Don't think I'll bother now.
    Good on you post this as a positive spin on their returns dept rather than a rant about rubbish wheel build though!
    My hope hoops have been faultless for 3 years, BTW, HTH!

Nezbo
    Free Member

footstomper – na mate not going to rist it i have borrowed a DH wheel from a mate 🙂

check out this beast of a rear wheel if i damage that there is somthing wrong…

I keep meaning to ask you what is hapened to all the videos and images you have been taking?

footstomper
    Free Member

Compiling them for a feature length film later in the year 😛

Nezbo
    Free Member

footstomper cool man 🙂 I hope I feature heavily 😉

the NEZBO show hehe

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Super Star Componants – Good Service’ is closed to new replies.