• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Super glueing ball bearings into hex bolts for security
  • sgn23
    Free Member

Anyone done this? Is it effective? Any downsides? (other than needing to carry glue remover)
    It’s supposed to help stop components being removed by scroats when unattended.
    I was thinking of doing this to my seat clamp bolt to protect the dropper post, when making brief stops in town.

andyl
    Free Member

just replace all your bolts with these:

chances are your average tea-leaf won’t have a security torx bit (ie with a hole in the middle)

teethgrinder

Would have to be a decent sized bearing to prevent said scroat prising it out with a pick. Superglue is quite brittle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, downsides? Every time your dropper needs a service you will need to remove it?
    Do you ride your bike in places where you think it’s likely to happen?

sgn23
    Free Member

those torx bolts might be a simpler idea andyl.

SirHC

Melt candle wax into the bolt head?

zoo200
    Free Member

pop rivet 😛

deadkenny
    Free Member

when unattended

Never leave unattended outdoors. Simple.

seadog101

Araldite them in?

jemima
    Free Member

For security you’d normally get a ball slightly bigger than the across-flats of the hex socket and hammer it in. But then you’re really going to struggle getting your post out when you need to… a dremel does it nicely but seat clamps are going to become consumables.

andyl
    Free Member

you can get pitlok skewers for seat clamps.

mlke
    Free Member

Sh1te bike with tatty components and a geet big lock for parking in town. So far I’ve got lucky

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Those security torx cap heads aren’t especially secure – a swift tap with a centre punch is all it takes to knock out the centre pin.

Might put off the scrote who isn’t carrying a hammer and punch right enough, guess it depends on how secure you need it to be.

igm

mlke – Member
    Sh1te bike with tatty components and a geet big lock for parking in town. So far I’ve got lucky

£50 1993 Ebay rigid Kona here. Looks very ordinary at best, but still a very nice ride.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d be too worried about my seat post slipping to do this. I’m too paranoid about my bike that I wouldn’t leave it unattended in town, full stop!

globalti
    Free Member

You mean people actually leave valuable bikes unattended in public?

Horrors.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You mean people actually leave valuable bikes unattended in public?

People leave them in £100 B&Q sheds too. Which is almost the same.

bigblackshed

You need to stop living in the ghetto.

unovolo
    Free Member

My thoughts are one of those cheap retractable wire combination locks would be better if its just for café stop, run the cable/wire through you seat rails and the frame to secure.

I have one in my backpack weighs Naff all and takes up very little space so ideal to have for any short/unplanned shops to protect your gear.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Get a pub bike, loads on ebay. Some old snotter that’s really not worth nicking. Save your dropper equipped baby for proper riding where you’re not going to leave it.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Wouldn’t leave a bike with a reverb fitted unattended unless the objective is to have it stolen.

andyl
    Free Member

Wouldn’t leave a bike with a reverb fitted unattended unless the objective is to have it stolen.

Insurance excess and premium increase probably cheaper than a Reverb service or replacement remote if you break it!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Super glueing ball bearings into hex bolts for security’ is closed to new replies.