Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Super-cars on public roads.
  • Dobbo

What’s the point in having a ‘super-car’ on normal roads? Sure they look good but they must be a nightmare to drive, you probably cant get the thing out of 1st gear, maybe notch it up in to 2nd on motorways. Is it purely a I’ve got so much money I can spend 100’s of £k on a car.

There does seem to be constant stream of celebrity smashes in them so that keeps the numbers down I suppose.

Sparked off by this.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not adding anything to the conversation, but that was just down the road from me.

…but adding to the conversation. The weather was absolutely atrocious last night, so I think I would rather have a car with disc brakes the size of dustbin lids and super fat tyres.

Obviously the driver was the problem here. Would have probably spun out a Ford Fiesta instead.

Brycey
    Free Member

I bet his premium has gone up a bit. McLaren F1s are worth about £750k these days ar they not?

I am a big fan of performance cars in all shapes and sizes, but seeing some of the tubes that cut about the Manchester area (up and down Deansgate on a Saturday) in all sorts of stunning motors in horrendous colours with ridiculous wheels dents my enthusiasm a bit I must say.

I can’t help feeling when Ferrari were perfecting the F458’s dynamics, it wasn’t* so some knob in the Man City/Utd youth team could paint it matt black, put alloys with their initials in the middle on it, and drive up and down a shopping street.

*I do appreciate Ferrari are a commercial enterprise trying to make money.

29erKeith
    Free Member

he should have stuck to this 😆

Houns

Atkinson is a renowned driver. Poor McLaren, mind you he could have had it in a better colour

aracer
    Free Member

The weather was absolutely atrocious last night, so I think I would rather have a car with disc brakes the size of dustbin lids and super fat tyres

Except that super fat tyres don’t necessarily do so well in the wet (and lots of torque doesn’t help when grip levels are low).

Brycey
    Free Member

Bean/Atkinson/Blackadder is righ tin to his supercars and has been for years.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What’s the point in having a ‘super-car’ on normal roads? Sure they look good but they must be a nightmare to drive, you probably cant get the thing out of 1st gear, maybe notch it up in to 2nd on motorways. Is it purely a I’ve got so much money I can spend 100’s of £k on a car.

Troll. Either that or you’re trying (And failing) to sound clever about something you clearly have utterly no clue at all about.

iDave
    Free Member

There does seem to be constant stream of celebrity smashes in them

Such as?

Jamie
    Free Member

Except that super fat tyres don’t necessarily do so well in the wet (and lots of torque doesn’t help when grip levels are low).

I said ‘I would rather have’, not that it would be any safer 😉

*I know nothing about cars.

thegreatape
    Free Member

McLaren F1s are worth about £750k these days ar they not?

And some. In 2008 one sold for £2.5 million at auction.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Oh my god, you can’t be jumping on the band wagon for that one.

What difference does it make it was a supercar? There are thousands of accidents on the UK roads every year that sound exactly like that.

Rowan Atkinson uses his supercars all the time and it’s the first time I’ve heard of him crashing. There’s nothing in there to say it was anything to do with the car, weather, or a small child running out in the road in front of him to cause it.

If people can afford it why not own one? I know I would. It’s the same as saying why do people need a £4k bike when they could have as much fun on a £1k one? Or why buy a £7k road bike if not racing? Most of the modern supercars are very easy to drive when just cruising along. It was probably a lot truer years ago when they were complete pigs to drive but the companies making them know it’s middle age bankers who drive them so have to make them as easy to drive as the BMWs and Audis they’ve been driving for years before.

Anyway, I hope the car is ok!

EDIT – after re-reading I’m now wondering if I did get sucked in by some trolling, oh well, worse things have happened!
    DOUBLE EDIT – sounds like it’s not trolling.

Dobbo

Troll. Either that or you’re trying (And failing) to sound clever about something you clearly have utterly no clue at all about.

I’ve never driven a fast car like that and don’t watch Top Gear or shite like that, so don’t know what it’s like to drive one. But why is it a troll to ask what’s the point in having what is basically a F1 car with a numberplate and some lights on it on public roads? You need to revise you definition of a troll.

Brycey
    Free Member

And some.

Fair point! Two million Euros anyone?

http://www.whatonemillionbuys.com/mclaren-f1-for-sale-in-basel-switzerland

Jamie
    Free Member

Still impressive to chuck it on that section of the A605. It’s a bit undulating, but no real bend.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But why is it a troll to ask what’s the point in having what is basically a F1 car with a numberplate and some lights on it on public roads? You need to revise you definition of a troll.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Which is exactly what you are doing.

I rest my case!

Harry_the_Spider

That’ll buff out.

donsimon
    Free Member

or a small child running out in the road in front of him to cause it.

Isn’t this the whole point, it’s not about the fame, the money or the car. It’s the children that no-one is thinking about. Won’t someone please think of the children, for they are they are the true victims in this horrific accident crime.

Dobbo

Which is exactly what you are doing.

I’m stating what I think. I suppose you know best though. 🙄

I think a 150mph+ car on roads with 70mph limit are pointless. Is that clear enough?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Because they are nothing like an f1 car, thus showing how little you know. Especially about the gearing. Most modern supercars are so tractable you can drive everywhere in 3rd.

Brycey
    Free Member

My car does near enough 150mph. It’s a diesel family saloon, should it be banned too?

ianpinder
    Free Member

My car does 145mph and it’s a focus

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Considering the conversation on here yesterday about expensive watches being left in drawers because people don’t want to damage them, I think it is great he actually uses his cars – he is a car fanatic and on Top Gear recently he was saying how he uses the F1 all the time.

Good on him – he can afford to have it repaired.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

only if its a 335d.

They are pretty pointless on the public roads, Evo regularly make this point.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well a client / old friend of mine has razzed about the Bristol roads in his Ferrari and his Lamborghini without much trouble.

I’m not jealous at all..

stevemtb
    Free Member

I think a 150mph+ car on roads with 70mph limit are pointless. Is that clear enough?

Maybe it’s actually safer, any overtaking move is going to be completed with the minimum amount of time on the wrong side of the road!

Lots of things in life are pointless, it’s about being able to afford it. These cars will still provide plenty of enjoyment for the owners without breaking any laws.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m stating what I think.

With the intention of starting an argument, knowing it would annoy people

Hence, troll.

I suppose you know best though.

Now we’re getting somewhere!

Yep.

I think your trolling is pointless, but amusing as you’re making a right eejit of yourself! And I know best, remember…..

Clear enough? 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You should see around my way every summer as the Middle Eastern chaps fly their blingwagons over. Comedy!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think a 150mph+ car on roads with 70mph limit are pointless

I think the following is pointless:

Dance music
    Bungee jumping
    Dorma bungalows
    Toyota Priuses
    Celery
    The French
    Lipstick
    Poodles
    Tennis
    Gravel drives
    The colour mauve.

But I don’t go around blabbering on about it just becasue I’ve seen a celery-sucking poodle leaving a mauve dorma bungalow with a gravel drive in a Toyota Prius on his way to play tennis with a French dance DJ!
    🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You just did..

Dobbo

thus showing how little you know.

I’ve admitted that, that’s why I’ve asked what’s the point to be enlightened on the subject. 😆

I think your trolling is pointless, but amusing as you’re making a right eejit of yourself! And I know best, remember…..

Clear enough?

Maybe you could draw up a list of topics that you consider to be acceptable, that would help prevent you having to endure topics that don’t meet you approval. Go and try the hanging tread, that seems more your cup of tea.

Harry_the_Spider

Peter, you missed the following off your list:

Cheap duct tape
    BBC3
    The Davies Cup
    Michael Mcintyre
    Multipack x8 probiotics for the same price as x12

It is now complete.

Edric64
    Free Member

I cant believe we are this far into the thread without the flash car = small dick comment

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Maybe you could draw up a list of topics that you consider to be acceptable

Wrong end of stick grasped there matey! This is nothing to do with acceptable topics, I’m merely playing the anti-troll….. 😛

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I ran a Ferrari 360 for a while back in 2002. It was an amazing piece of engineering but I have to agree pretty pointless most of the time, impractical and not that comfortable; to be honest a Mitsu Evo was probably quicker point-to-point on most roads. Also not that great on the track. I ended up buying a range rover (brilliant) and a trailer, and a caterham for the track so had the best of both worlds. I probably wouldn’t buy another “super”car again, I’m too self conscious and prefer big comfortable cars these days.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I ran a Ferrari 360 for a while back in 2002. It was an amazing piece of engineering but I have to agree pretty pointless most of the time

Oh yes. It may well have been an UTTERLY pointless car. But both you and I know that’s not the point, is it? 😉

bland

PeterPoddy – Member

I’m stating what I think.

With the intention of starting an argument, knowing it would annoy people

Hence, troll.

I suppose you know best though.

Now we’re getting somewhere!

Yep.

Clear enough?

Shut your whining, its a frigging chat forum and this is just a discussion about something relevant in the news. I really dont get your point or understand how its only you getting so upset by this post.

Or do you just trawl looking for “trolls”. If someone is talking S$%t on here they will be told so in no short terms

matttromans
    Free Member

I’d rather drive something that’s designed to operate well in excess of the speed limits, and can stop on a six pence than something that can barely reach the speed limit in 30 seconds and takes 100m to stop at that speed. If I could afford to I’d drive a Maclaren F1 everywhere!

Rowan Atkinson is a proven race driver, taking part in numerous race series, I can only assume that he is a better track driver than me. I hope both he and the car recovers soon. The rest of the celebrities that have crashed, yeah fair enough, bunch of idiots!

alexathome
    Free Member

Rowan Atkinson uses his supercars all the time and it’s the first time I’ve heard of him crashing.

Really? not for me I remember him spunking one of these Maclaren things into a Austin Metro some time back!!

I’d be doubling his premium if i were his insurance company he can’t drive for shite.

alexathome
    Free Member

I should add that i am almost his age and never crashed my F1, not once 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Super-cars on public roads.’ is closed to new replies.