Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Suntour fork overhaul/service -anyone help?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

got some XCRs on a cheap bike i bought, the lowers appear to be full of water!!

Any ideas about taking them apart to clean and lube? They are coil forks that much I know!! One side must eb the coila nd the other the damping, not arsed about them being fantastic, jsut to move a bit without being notchy.

I know that they are a sub fifty quid fork but that is not the point to be honest as they are on a hack bike anyhway

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Right – lowers off and cleaned out. the bushings are push in plastic and the only "seal" is the wiper seal at the top.
    Can i buy a new 30mm wiper seal that would be a better seal (to keep the lubing oil in)

When putting the plastic bushes in would you grease them or leave them dry, relying on the oil to lube them? Does 15ml sound about right at a lubing oil?

Northwind

If they're the same as mine there's no oil bath, I lubed mine with fork oil since that's what I had lying about, and since if I put them back into use I figure on giving them a regular quick strip and clean anyway, they need it. Don't know if there's any better seals, have to say it would be hard for them to be worse, they're very poor. Rest of the fork is actually OK really, especially considering what they are but the seals are substandard.

If they've been neglected at all then it's pretty likely that the plastic bushing will be worn, which causes them to get sloppy and that in turn makes them a bit jerky…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

right – will take em apart again and remove oil 🙁

Elmo
    Free Member

Thats why i changed mine.

Did the wayfarer path during the wet bit at the end of last year.

Cleaned them out and removed about half a cup of water!

Used to go solid randomly aswell!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

as they are on my shit bike i am not bothered, just an excuse to fettle. The new REVS on my good bike make up for it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Suntour fork overhaul/service -anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.