Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SunRace wide ratio 8 speed cassette
  • frogstomp

Didn’t even know these existed until this week.. but does anyone know anywhere I can get a SunRace CSM680 8 Speed wide ratio cassette (11-40T)..? Comes on some Whyte children’s bikes but they’re out of stock for a couple of weeks..

firestarter
    Free Member

Bookmarking this as this would be ideal for little man’s bike

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m guessing the sprockets are something like…

11-13-16-19-24-32-40

Those jumps between the easiest 4 gears! 😯

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. Also bookmarked.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

11-13-16-19-24-32-40

That’s only 7 🙂

frogstomp

The ratios listed in the link in my OP are: 11-13-15-18-22-28-34-40

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Oh dear, double fail by me! It has officially gone past my sensible bedtime.

Andy

What mech will you use with that please?

cookeaa

I would guess something like an alivio M4000 long cage Shadow, probably with a longer B-screw?

8 speed and big ratios for a kids bike sort of makes sense to me; if it can be done cheaply, and you can use either triggers or Gripshift to accommodate little hands/preferences…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Whyte 403 appears to come with this 11-40 cassette and uses an Altus rear mech.

The same Altus mech that is on my Wazoo? Not looked much, but Altus mechs official max sprocket size appears to be 34T.

Maybe it works because the 403 is 1×8 with 28T chainring, just like how I run my Wazoo (but with a 34T chainring).

cookeaa

Again which version of the mech?

There’s older altus M310 sold as 7/8 speed with a comedy giant lower jockey wheel or newer M370 sold as 9 speed which looks to have a longer cage…

The 34t ‘capacity’ doesn’t necessarily refer to the biggest sprocket it will clear, it used to refer to the difference in tooth count between bottom and top gear…

bikesian65
    Free Member

Intersting – could be ideal for a 1x system for a winter filth bike (just like my one) even better if you are used to a single speed 🙂

majestic

Did anyone find a suitable mech for this set up?

frood
    Free Member

Rumour has it that Shimano 10speed mech works with sram 8 speed shifters.
    Not tried it myself
    linky

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What mech will you use with that please?

it’s possible the bikes it comes fitted to have a modified mech hanger to add a bit of clearance for the big sprocket. I think that’s what Specialized have done on the Sequoia to get a normal 105 mech working with a 36t cassette. I might be wrong, but it’s possible.

majestic

I found this LINK

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SunRace wide ratio 8 speed cassette’ is closed to new replies.