Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Sunrace cassettes – worth a punt?
  • philwarren11
    Free Member

Quick ride last night to check it out.

Shifts perfectly except dropping downn into the 11t cog, its a little slow, not an issue but not quite as sharp as the others which seem to just bang into gear. I think this is because of the b-screw adjustment so ill look to see if i can adjust it out.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My cassette turned up the other day and was duly fitted in anticipation of a weekend ride.

It really is massive! My cassette has a similar diameter to my brake disc. I’ve a brand new set of XT cranks, so it seemed rude not to get it all set up with a brand new chain. I was a little worried about chain length, but even with a 36T front chainring, there’s just enough links to make it work.

Setting up may be a fiddle, the B Tension bolt needed to be fully wound in before the chain would shift into the next biggest sprocket at the back. The setup is noisy, but I expect that’s due to the KMC chain I’m using.

jam-bo

Acid test today at an XC race, no issue with the cassette but chain releasing off the front (oval N-W) chainring is much noise me than it was with an 11-36. I’ve also dropped the chain off the chainring a couple of times which is new and I can’t quite see how the cassette could be causing it as nothing else has changed.

chickenman

Looking at PJM1974’s setup: Personally I’d stick to 11-36, save 1/2 a pound in weight, keep the quality shifting, have the same bottom gear via a 32T chainring and accept that riding along the road is slightly slower.

kimbers

Chickenman, with a rad cage shifting is perfect , it’s 50g heavier than an 11-36 and I can climb up anything with a 32 up front

chickenman

Ok, I was not comparing like with like (‘cos you can’t)but the 10 speed 11-36 XTR cassette on my bike is around 235g if memory serves. Am sticking with this because I have enough gears with a 30T chainring. If someone did an 11-40 10 speed that was similar in price and weight to what I have I’d get it right away.

kimbers

Praxis at 320g is lightest xtr is 270 according to Google, so it’s only 50g

Thatextra 40t sprocket doesn’t come for free, personally I think it’s well worth it for the extra range (an e tra 50g going from my xt to my mx3)

The only thing I can’t speak too is longevity as I’ve not had mine long

PJM1974
    Free Member

After two rides, I’m extremely happy with my setup. Getting everything adjusted took a little longer than usual, the setup is quite sensitive to adjustment. Once fettled I couldn’t tell the difference in shift quality between old and new.

I do plan to swap my 36T front chainring for a 32T somewhere down the line and to ditch the front mech entirely but I’m in no great hurry considering that a new XT chainring costs around £50. I can live with the extra weight of a front shifter, front mech and cables, given that a winter ride round my way will deposit over a pound of mud on my frame.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Two rides in, 40 miles and some decent climbing. Spot on, cant fault it at all. Found it no difficult to set up than my usual 10 speed setup.

40mpg

I’ve been running one on my fatbike since November. 2-3 rides a week through the worst sandy muddy slop or actually on the beach.

The black finish has mostly gone, but still shifts perfectly (X7 mech so designed for 1-by) and shows little sign of wear. Think I’ll be going this route on all my bikes as the range of gears is fine for my purposes.

rascal
    Free Member

Stuck my MX3 on but not adjusted B Screw yet.
    40T at the back with 30T NW up front with SLX clutch mech – not sure off hand if its med or long cage. Is adjusting the screw a piece of piss or more involved than it should be?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Is adjusting the screw a piece of piss or more involved than it should be?

Piece of piss really. You can’t miss the screw, just wind it all the way in.

rascal
    Free Member

Went out on bike with Sunrace cassette on last weekend…when climbing using the 40T it was jumping all over the place – the one gear I pretty much bought the cassette for! Pretty sure the B screw is right in…any other reason why this might happen?

kimbers

My 42 sunracee was running fine through the filth at valelujah this weekend, and I was using the 42 a lot on those long climbs. I have got a rad cage on tho.
    Limit screws right?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace cassettes – worth a punt?’ is closed to new replies.