Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Sunrace cassettes – worth a punt?
  • rascal
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger on a 40T cassette. Currently running a Deore 11-36 with no expander with SLX clutch mech and 30T NW.
    General consensus on these seemed to be favourable a wee while ago…still the case?
    The MX3 the one to go with? As opposed to faffing with a new XT, removing bits to add an expander, or the hugely expensive Praxis one?
    Any opinions appreciated…

callmetc
    Free Member

I’m interested in these myself.

Not much more expensive than buying an expander ring.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Worth a punt?

Without a doubt, if they turn out to be crap it will be your money you wasted and not mine.. but if you could let us know how it goes. 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got the 42 its great, should probably have got the goat link but it shifts OK, 40 would be fine. Not that light but not silly heavy either

orangeman5
    Free Member

Got the 42, plug and play no bother, go for it. 🙂

Simon

Fitted a MS3 11-42 two weeks ago.
    Set up with a GS SLX mech, had to take the plastic insert out from under the b-screw to get enough adjustment but it shifts fine. Done around 200km on it so far.

It weighs about 440g and was £42.50 from Triton Cycles which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

anyone going up to one of these from a regular 11-36; did you have to lengthen your chain at all? not that that’s an issue, i’m just interested so i know whether to factor that in when buying. ta!

Simon

I used a new chain but I guess going up to 42 from 36 it would need to be longer.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, i guess a new chain wouldn’t be a bad idea regardless (and thinking about it, my question is stupid!)

Simon

MS3 now only £39.99 from Triton

rascal
    Free Member

Not even sure what difference is between the S and the X

Simon

I think MS3 has all steel cogs and the MX3 has steel cogs except for the 40/42.

duncancallum

I’ve the dearer ally one 11 40.

It’s ace not as.clean to shift as a 11 36 but you’d expect that.

I’m chuffed

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ve reversed my b screw to get my x0 mech to sit far enough away from my mx3 42t cog for best shifting. The chain derailed pedalling backwards in 42t until it wore in. I’m waiting for some spacers to arrive so I can adjust chainline by 1 or 2mm. Running absolute black 34t oval n/w ring and used 4 links overlap

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have the MX3 . Very impressed. Better than a 11-36+expander-15&16+17t.

mikertroid
    Free Member

What Simon said word for word!

swanny853

The one up rad cage made a big difference to the shifting on my 10 speed expanded xt. I think when this cassette + extender wears out an all in one like the sunrace at that price makes going to 11 speed xt quite hard to justify!

kimbers

Got an mx3 with a rad cage, happy days

Its not xxxxxx1 weight but it’s not the same price either

Tbh makes you wonder if we really need 11 speed, as for 12…..

kimbers

And my MX was 390g to its a 50g difference between s and x

Simon

I had planned to go 11 speed this year but I’m not bothering now 🙂

callmetc
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll have to order the mx3 since they seem soo good.

Trying to work out why a expander ring is pretty much the same cost?

philwarren11
    Free Member

Installed a 11-42 MX3 this weekend, seems to shift like my old 11-36.Not ridden it yet tho but it seems ok to me. Only issue is in the lowets gear it will drop down the cassette when you do a full revolution of the cranks, not that I will ever do that when riding.

Using it with a medium SLX mech, b screw wound nearly all the way in and a 36t chainring and KMCx10-SL chain. Out of the box the chain was the right lenth, 114 links, which was nice.

I did shift my BB spacer to the NDS to give a better chainline when in the lowest gear, i’ve been bending mechs outwards so im hoping this will help too.

jam-bo

ordered an 11-42 MS3 for £38.99 at 11.34 from triton, marked dispatched at 11.58. must be a quiet monday morning.

legend
    Free Member

Am I not right in thinking that the general concern with these is longevity rather than shifting performance? Has anyone saying they’re ok really had enough time on them to tell if they’re going to last?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Any comments on durability? Keen to try one but my local mud can kill an XT cassette in a few hundred miles whilst my Sram 1050 has lasted at least 3 times that now

Simon

Too early to tell. But there’s so many variables in cassette/chain life I don’t give it much thought.

oomidamon

I can’t comment on longevity but I’m pleased with my MX3 42t. I fitted a new mech, chain and 32t oval nw chainring and the whole setup works well.

rascal
    Free Member

MX3 40T ordered 11pm last night…been dispatched already.
    Will be on my bike tomorrow night 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Am I not right in thinking that the general concern with these is longevity rather than shifting performance?

Any science behind that? Not heard anything myself but would be interested to know.

Lakes_Puma

I’ve got both the Sunrace 11-40 and Praxis 11-40 and I find the Praxis a lot slicker on gear changes, especially dropping down to a smaller cog the Sunrace gives a noticeable clunk whereas the Praxis is near silent and smooth.

legend
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    Any science behind that? Not heard anything myself but would be interested to know.

If there was science it wouldn’t just be a concern. Anicdotal evidence of other Sunrace kit from this forum iirc

TheSanityAssassin

I work for a SunRace distributor and we’ve been flogging these by the box full just lately. In fact SunRace themselves have been struggling to meet demand of the MX3 11-42, although they’re back in stock now and we’re expecting another batch this week. We’ve plenty of stock of the MS3 11-42 and both 11-40s (and we do next day delivery) so your local shops should be able to order them in overnight for you.

jam-bo

delivered at 10.39. I’m impressed.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The price has increased by 50% since Friday, but I’ve taken a punt…

11-42 in stealth black, I’m looking forward to having a play this weekend.

rascal
    Free Member

Just landed. Looks good and feels good quality. Liking the red spider and lock ring.
    It’s BLOODY MAMOOSIVE!
    Weighs 385g on accurate work scales.
    Will be tinkering later 😉

As a side note – how good are DPD?
    Regular progress updates…estimated ETA 1.08-2.08pm….it arrived bang on 1.08. I like that.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Our local DPD guy is awesome. I must buy him a pint sometime.

rascal
    Free Member

It’s on the wheel – I wasn’t 100% sure it looked like it was for a Shimano hub.
    I need to fiddle and tweak the fabled B-screw to get it working properly but that’s a job for another day.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve had a 42 on for the last 90 or so miles – absolutely no issues – performance is actually better than what I had on before (ethirteen expanded and xt cassette).
    I honestly can’t believe the hype that the bike media has made recently about the sram ‘budget’ 1x groupset when there are these sunrace cassette avaliable.

Leon
    Free Member

Just spotted an mx8 11spd. Looks like a good alternative to xt. Same price but much lighter.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I got an MX3 11-40 when they first came out and posted a couple threads on the subject.

I’m a few months in but not ridden anywhere near as much as I usually do! It has been problem free thus far and seems pretty solid. I do have the back-pedal issue (with Rad Cage & spaced in CR) as many seem too with these new 40-42t 10 and 11 speed cassetts. Apprantly it occurs regardless of manufactuerer if the chain line is not far enough in, with some suggesting KMC chains exacerbate the problem more than others!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace cassettes – worth a punt?’ is closed to new replies.