Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sunrace 9sp 11-40T cassette
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Anyone seen/used one of these?

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csm990

Have found them for £30 on eBay, which looks pretty good, and the ratio spacing doesn’t look too bad.

kaiser
    Free Member

also interested

Davesport

Not got one but had a look as I’m getting rid of my Granny ring and front mech. I’m not convinced my SRAM X9 mech will have clearance for a 40T ring. I’d be interested to hear how you get on. No quality cassettes above 34 available with an alloy spider. Only the biggest three cogs on the Sunrace are on a carrier.

thorpey0
    Free Member

I have just fitted a Sunrace 10 speed 11-42 today. There is a gnat’s jiffy between the SRAM X9 mech I am running and the cassette. I need to fit a longer chain so I have not had a chance to see if its too close to run well but its a nice bit of kit for the money – £60 is a lot cheaper than a proper 1 x set up… if it works 😯

deviant
    Free Member

I have the Sunrace 11-42 on a single ring 10 speed setup, the LBS said it was easier to work with than similar SRAM and Shimano systems they’ve done.
    I took it as a huge compliment and it rides great and shifts beautifully.
    I’ll replace like with like when it comes to replacement time.

jfb01
    Free Member

That is very interesting.I did not think the 9 speeds came on an alloy carrier.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Deviant – how close is your mech to the 42t when its in that gear? Very close?

jfb01
    Free Member

That is very interesting.I did not think the 9 speeds came on an alloy carrier.Just checked the spec sheet.It seems Just one model does,the CSM990 9AX.
    Thanks OP.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Think I might get one for the OH to try 1x on the cheap as I managed to bag a 30T SRAM steel NW ring from CRC in the clearance for £1.99! Her Pitch has a SRAM rear mech anyway, and they’re supposed to be more compatible with ER cassettes than Shimano so hopefully it’ll be an easy setup.

noidea
    Free Member

Just fitted two on my kids bikes, both bikes are running Sram x5. There’s plenty of clearance with the mech and still a fair bit of adjustment left on the B tension screw too if it had been required, changes flawlessly too.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

That’s good to know, cheers. Did you get them from eBay/Amazon? The only sellers there appear to be from China/HK.

devash
    Free Member

1×9 for us dinosaurs still running absolutely adequate and functional 3×9 kit? Oooh yes please!

cookeaa

Hmmm, I am running 1×9 on my Bridalslayer, with and 11-32, which seems adequate at present.

I had toyed with going 11-34 when I replaced the cassette but now I am tempted by an 11-40, except I’m using an SLX mech.

So does anyone know if shimano 9speed shadow mechs would stretch to 40t?

Edit: just noticed they do a ‘CSM989’ cassette in 11-36, might be a wiser choice for me, it’s cheap, but no alloy carrier…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

11-13-15-18-21-24-28-34-40

Those 6-tooth jumps though… 28-34 on my original Wazoo 8-speed was awful and I wonder if similar jumps on the CX Team’s Sram 10-42 were part of what I didn’t like in my turbo test ride the other day!

From my very limited experience of wide ratio cassettes, I think I’d rather have a low gear I need with a narrower spread (eg. 16-40), sacrificing top speed for smoother shifts as a result of lower tooth jumps.

rOcKeTdOg

my Bridalslayer

Game of thrones wedding theme?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Sunrace CSM990 cassette

30 quid on ebay, but delivery from China…

Tempted to try. X9 was clearing OK 36T. Not sure it is going to cope with 40T…

Cheers!
    I.

cookeaa

I’m not convinced that many 9 speed mechs will stretch to 40t, at least not without a goatlink or something else to lower the jockeys relative to the sprockets, none of those “old” mechs was ever really intended to clear more than a 34/36t really…

Sunrace themselves don’t actually include a mech in their ‘M9‘ range that will clear more than 11-34t apparently…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace 9sp 11-40T cassette’ is closed to new replies.