Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Sunrace 11-46 cassette-anyone tried one?
  • gelert
    Free Member

Looked at CRC questions section and they’d confirmed it’s 36-40-46 to someone else. Oh well. Can’t have everything.

Keep my chainring the same, extra link in my chain and the 46 is a true bailout for the winter drudge. I should also need to back-pedal less in it (if it does drop – better not!) because the 40T 2nd gear will be mostly fine for me.

Might press some buttons in a bit then 🙂

beanum

Is anyone running a 10-46 cassette with 10spd SRAM GX ? Officially the GX rear mech is rated to 36t…

I’m currently running it with a OneUp 42t conversion and it’s fine.
    I’m looking for a lower ratio and it’ll be a whole lot cheaper than going 11 or 12 speed if it works…

gelert
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the SunRace MX8 11-46 from CRC.

Realised the beauty of it is that 11-40 is there in 10 gears and the 46 is a true bail out which is what I want/need for winter and I can go ahead and fit some beefy tyres and trudge away.

I hope it back-pedals in 1st on the <49mm chain line. Got a new chain ready. Send it back if it doesn’t? Or accept that 40T is gunna be absolutely fine for me and the 46T is literally only there as a bail out?

jamesoz

Sorry just saw this, it is 40 46. Mine won’t back pedal in 1st but as you say it’s a bail out gear I use the standard chain line as I like the chain as far away from the tyre as practicable .
    I get the feeling the tooth profile is a direct shimano copy so has the same issue. Doesn’t SRAM use narrow wide type thing?

gelert
    Free Member

@jamesoz thanks for the update. I ordered it last Thursday and even paid for “premium service” from CRC but it’s only out for delivery today (6 days later). Even their free service used to be quicker than this!

Sorry to hear it doesn’t back-pedal in 1st but I’m not surprised. I’ll have to see how I get on. I won’t be needing the 46T for very many climbs at all and I don’t intend using it except to drag me up climbs I’d normally avoid or for getting home on winter rides. If it doesn’t work out, it’s only £50. I can just sit in the 40T and because it’s steel it won’t wear out so quickly.

SunRace have set 2nd at 40T which I think is more sensible than Shimano which is 37T with a jump to 46T.

SRAM do use a narrow wide profile on the Eagle on 1st and 2nd, I believe. It certainly looks different on those two cogs.

gelert
    Free Member

The SunRace 11-46 11 speed just arrived. It’s 482g. A tad over the 465g quoted. Not too worried about that for winter. I’ll go back to 11-40 and pick up a SunRace again if this one works well.

It’s extremely nice looking and the spread of gears looks very equal across the range.

Looking forward to trying it at the weekend. Hopefully I’ll get some time one evening to set it up with a new chain.

Brainflex

Just for the record, I have two, one on a fuse and the other one a P29er. Neither drop the chain when back pedaling in any gear.

jimplops

Slightly off topic, but I’ve just replaced my 11-42t one up’d 10s that ran the RadR cage and Pilo link with the MS3 10-46t 10s with the same gear set up and changes are spot on and back pedals perfect.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I have an 11-46 11 speed and it back-pedals in 1st. Chainline is 47-48 mm in theory (30t One-up oval ring, which has a built in spacerage, attached to an old-school 4 arm spider that would give a 49-50 mm chainline with no spacer). Chainstay at the longer end of things (full sus 29er).

gelert
    Free Member

@greyspoke my chain line should be 48-49mm too – on a 26er with 436mm chain stay [longer is better for this] (other bike 425mm always comes out worse for back-pedal).

Got a OneUp oval 30T DM Cinch with a proper 6mm offset (I say proper because Absolute Black claim similar but it’s 3mm on theirs). Cinch cranks are set at 51mm default (with 3mm offset DM rings) according to RaceFace documentation with spacers set as they say and their rings. I’ve actually found a nice half spacer and used that so in theory my chain line should be spot on to work.

I shall see by the weekend. Not sure when I can get 10 mins in the garage though.

I really hope it works. Got a new SRAM NX chain to go with it. Shimano M8000 shifter / mech.

It shouldn’t be rocket science. £150 into 3x Shimano cassettes and none have worked 100% so far (latest 11-40 is 75% ok) – admittedly my chain line was cack when I first went 11s thanks to RaceFace and AbsoluteBlack but I’ve fixed that over time. £50 to the SunRace to see if that works.

If it doesn’t that whole drive train is going on the other bike and my main bike will be upgraded to SRAM xD whatever it all costs, I don’t care anymore. My leisure time is worth more than faffing about with back-pedalling issues.

frogstomp

~49mm chainline (Superstar boost chainring, boost rear end) with short 415mm chainstays works fine on my Chameleon.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Anyone running the 10spd version.

Mine is the 10 speed, works great.

gelert
    Free Member

@frogstomp on a boost bike that’s an extremely narrow chain line. Boost default is 53mm on RaceFace.

Anyway… just installed the 11-46 SunRace on my Alpine. Back-pedal issue… what back-pedal issue? Thank you SunRace! Hopefully after a few rides it’ll be the same… not celebrating just yet.

I’m so annoyed with Shimano 11s cassettes though. What a waste of time it’s been. Jan/Feb 2016 until now.

This SunRace – it’s not dropped off the 46T once during setup or spinning around the close. On a new chain too.

I might need to replace my outer cable. It’s 3 years old and a tad slow on the up shift.

Every gear is indexed fine and no back-pedal issue on the stand or more importantly when sat on the bike. I’m amazed. Little bit of B tension adjustment to clear the 46 and I took 2 whole links off the 114 link NX chain. I tried one and it was fine but there was plenty of cage movement left in 1st so I took another off so it wouldn’t bounce around in 11th as much. Very tidy job.

I’ll give it a ride then I’ll probably buying another SunRace for the other bike.

gelert
    Free Member

Wow! Been for a ride with Brian on the 11-46 SunRace this morning. Totally blown away by how it didn’t miss a beat. It sifts way smoother than any Shimano cassette I’ve ever used too. Under power, no problem. Smooth as silk.

Spun at 90RPM straight up one of the steepest road climbs that I always avoid in winter. No problem and loads of energy to spare at the top, I didn’t even stop to catch any breath.

Then up a really muddy climb that’s through a stream. It goes from bone dry in summer to a sloppy mess with slippy rocks, off camper slabs and boggy bits with grassy and pointy rocks to get up and over and then there’s a steep grassy bit to end right into the wind. Totally cleaned it. So much more control with the power delivery on the 46T than I had before. Rather than over powering it just made it easy to find grip and keep balance.

Covered it all in mud on the way down and it was very grindy afterwards but still didn’t de-rail in 1st. Could not make it come off. Totally as it should be. Haven’t experienced that since I’ve owned this bike really. Even the original 1×10 setup used to have it’s moments.

I think a new cable outer will totally sort it.

Hope it doesn’t wear and then drop but even if it does none of the others started off working from day 1 like this so I’m really really amazed. Well done SunRace.

dirkpitt74

Bit of a bump on this.

Anyone used this cassette with a medium cage SLX mech?

Currently have the 42t on my Mega with no probs, but wondered if the 46t might be a bit too much?

martinhutch

Slx m7000. Works for me. Earlier slx mechs might struggle a bit.

Scamper
    Free Member

Was running a 10 speed 11-40 with a non clutch mid cage SLX with no problems.  Stuck a 11-46 on today and it would not work even with the longer B screw.  Hope to get it sorted with a Goatlink and if not a M7000 clutch mech is the next option.

dirkpitt74

It’s the M670 SLX Shadow Plus, still using normal B tension screw with sunrace 11-42t.

martinhutch

I would be surprised if that would work well. I managed 11-42 with the equivalent XT mech – IIRC I had the b-screw out as far as it would go to get decent shifting.

Worth a go though.

gsxr750
    Free Member

Just thought I would add my 2 peneth, I’ve had sunrace with 1×10, 34-11/46. The cassettes have served me well but I am finding at the moment 3rd gear is not properly engaging and won’t adjust out without affecting the other gears. LBS says could be poor tolerances so I’ve looked at Shimano and you can buy them for 30 quid ( ebay) and the step between 1st to second is 1 tooth less than the £50 Sunrace. Its a no brainer really, got to give it a try 👍.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Not impressed with the life of these Sunrace.

On my bike after a single chain i’d ripped off a couple of the teeth on the 46 and with a new chain, the next sprocket down was slipping.

Katie’s has fared a little better but again is looking very worn after a single chain.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace 11-46 cassette-anyone tried one?’ is closed to new replies.