Sunrace 11-40/42. Best standard rear mech to suit? Also, what size chainring?

Home Forum Bike Forum Sunrace 11-40/42. Best standard rear mech to suit? Also, what size chainring?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sunrace 11-40/42. Best standard rear mech to suit? Also, what size chainring?
  • Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

11-42 works with my medium cage XT. Needed a longer B screw though for the cage to clear the 42 cog

rockhopper70

Dot he sunrace come with a b screw

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Mine didn’t.

rockhopper70

My current 10 speed set up has given up, installed July 14 so pretty pleased with the durability and the gear spread I have seem fine.
    I have an slx rear mech, slx 11-36 cassette and a race face n/w 32 tooth.

These sunrace have caught my eye but I don’t what to end up with a faffy, clunky drivetrain.
    Is it only the 42 tooth that requires a longer cage?
    Also, to achieve the same low ratio, can I get away with a 34 tooth chain ring, giving more flat out speed*.

*when slightly downhill.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Mine neither. I’m using a MS3 Sunrace 11-42 cassette with a GS slx mech. Removed the plastic insert from under the b-screw to get a bit more adjustment.
    All works fine.

^that

Also 34 tooth front, fine in the lakes and I’m no clematis but if I can’t get ypvit in the bottom gear I’d be as well off pushingvanyway

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Been using SRAM X9 type 2 medium cage with a SRAM cassette + 42t expander for about 18 months. It’s been pretty much faultless and easy to set up. Just ordered a sunrace mx3 11-42 and dropping from 32 to 30t chainring. Fingers crossed it’s all gonna work just as nicely.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Needs a very long b screw or it fouls the top jockey wheel on an SLX mech

PJM1974

I’ve had mine for about a month now, my long cage XT works just fine.

I’ve had absolutely zero issues with shifting, everything feels commendably normal. I’ve got the B-screw fully wound, mind.

As for chainrings, I tried it first with my XT 36/26 double which gave me Fieseler Storch levels of slow speed stability, so I’ve ditched the granny ring and swapped the main ring for a 32T.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

As for chain rings, 32t on the big bouncy bike and 34t on the hardtail. Both on 26″ wheels.

rockhopper70

I’m assuming that a long cage slx mech, which states to have a capacity of 43t, will just adjust straight into a 42t cassette ring?
    £30 from Merlin doesn’t seem a bad price.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

To get 42 working cleanly and nicely on my XT I needed the Rad Cage change, it wasn’t going to play right otherwise. – This could be due to the way the hanger/drop out holds the mech but most people who went 42 without the long cage adapted it.
    The standard SRAM is happy.

On chain rings depends on you, your legs and your riding.

On the numbers 34 would give you lower and 36 close to it, though it all depends how much you pedal flat out really. I’m content at 32t even coming from 34t technique makes me faster and I’ve learned a lot about when pedaling is actually pointless and a waste of energy.

I think I would be going 30T or even 28T if I swapped to a 1x setup on the Wazoo, given how much of a leg workout I got up the ~8 degree slope around the off-road trail at Itchen valley Country Park using my current 24T/34T gear! Admittedly, it was quite boggy grass.

I really must do something regarding the gearing on the Wazoo, the 38T large chainring is insanely high in most circumstances beyond the 17T cassette sprocket, effectively I only have a 9-speed currently (avoiding cross-chaining too much by using gears 1-6 with the 24T and 3-5 with the 38T)!

http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

On the numbers 34 would give you lower and 36 close to it, though it all depends how much you pedal flat out really. I’m content at 32t even coming from 34t technique makes me faster and I’ve learned a lot about when pedaling is actually pointless and a waste of energy.

If youre 100% on the trails that’s true – if you’ve got a bit of road to do before you get there a 34 chugs you along a bit faster (I had a 30 originally and it drove me nuts on the road)

andyl

. rockhopper70 – Member
    I’m assuming that a long cage slx mech, which states to have a capacity of 43t, will just adjust straight into a 42t cassette ring?
    £30 from Merlin doesn’t seem a bad price.

That’s not what the capacity means.

It means it has the range to take up the slack of a 43T gap which is the difference between your smallest front and back and your largest front and back in combination. The maximum cassette size is altogether very different as it’s a physical constraint not to be confused with the lever length/swing that provides the range.

Nobody, I was going to change the big ring on my Wazoo to a 34 or 32, but ended up going 1×10, currently with SLX 36T rear and a 30T front NW ring. Been enough for me so far but may keeping an eye on this thread in case!

rockhopper70

Cheers Andy, avoided a schoolboy error there.
    Just wondering if I should follow the old adage, if it ain’t broke etc, and just replace the existing, like for like.
    It’s been fine to date and shifted perfectly.
    Maybe a 40t sunrace just to get that bit more at the bottom though…..

philwarren11

I didnt need a new b screw on mine, 11-42 MX3 with a 36t chainring running a medium SLX. Some adjustment left too. Shifts perfect too.

I wish i had gone for a 38t chainring tho, would have been next to identical lowest gear as my 11-36 32t chainring combo i previously run which I was more than happy with. I dont think i can physically get a 38t ring on the bike tho.

DeeW

New 11 speed Shimano mechs are designed to work well with 11-42 cassette (and more next year apparently) so if you need a new mech I’d go for one of them. Almost certain the 11 speed Shimano mechs work perfect with 10 speed.

sync

I got my mx3 11-40 off eBay (mtbriders.co.uk) and the 11-42 they sell has the b screw.

MX3 is considerably lighter than the ms3 although a bit more expensive.

The 11-40 will work with any medium or long rear mech (deore upwards) without a replacement b screw.

I run a 30t nw on mine, kmc chain and xt rear mech. Whole drive train is smooth as a standard 11 speed xt albeit only 10 speed.

rockhopper70

Well, that eBay psa was timely.
    Just bought a race face narrow wide in 34 t flavour, 10 speed kmc chain and a sunrace 11-40 all for £68.

So, a bit more at both ends, can’t be bad.

rockhopper70

Scratch that, eBay vouchers crashed.

mattherby

I had my first ride in 8 weeks on the sunrace 11-40 with an SLX medium cage and 32T NW.
    I’ve been off the bike for 8 weeks due to broken fib so fitness was nowhere near where I was but 40t was more than enough for me.
    Good shifts all day and didn’t miss a beat.

Premier Icon rhid
    Subscriber

I have a 34/11-42 (via e13 expander) to fit to my bike soon. I run a SLX mid cage mech. With that set up is it likely I will need a longer B screw?

Has anyone had success with a goatlink? I thought about a rad cage but the goatlink may be a simpler option.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace 11-40/42. Best standard rear mech to suit? Also, what size chainring?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top