Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sunday vs Monday – Start of the week?
  • rene59
    Free Member

Sunday has always been the start of the week for me with weekend being Friday and Saturday. As a schoolboy it was always SMTWTFS. Having Monday as the start of the week feels odd to me but I seem to be in the minority now.

All calendars I have start the week with Monday, I am sure it used to be Sunday. When and why did this change and which is the start of the week for you?

bencooper
    Free Member

Tuesday for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It starts on Monday as Saturday and Sunday are the weekend. I know this as I don’t work the weekend. If the week started on Sunday, then Saturday and Sunday would be weekends.

scaredypants

well, biblically the 7th day was rest day wasn’t it, which I guess would equate to sunday ?
    (course Jews, swans etc have different takes on that theme)

if we’re talking in secular terms I guess work ( 😥 ) would be the reference point and the typical 5 day week seems most obvious. I still can’t get Sunday to the start though, unless you view it purely as recovery for Monday’s work

butcher

I’ve always understood Sunday to be the official start of the week. But I can’t get my head around it, or agree with it. Sunday is that last bit of respite before you start another week of grind. It is part of the weekEND. And I try to squeeze out every last ounce of it before the alarm goes off on Monday morning, indicating the start of a new cycle.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Monday for me. Sunday is just an archaic religious throw back that has no relevance to me.

somouk
    Free Member

I always set Monday as the start of the week in calendars. Just seems logical considering it is the start of the working week.

sprocker
    Free Member

Monday for me

njee20
    Free Member

Monday.

jeffl

I think that Sunday is technically the first day of the week. Not sure why but that’s what I was taught. However in the real world Monday is normally seen as the start of the week.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

ISO 8601 apparently defines Monday as the first day of the week. Those religious types apparently had the Sabbath on a Saturday, so that is why they have Sunday as the first day.
    So, church and start the week going to church or the International Standards Organisation who write the date year-month-day… Anyone fancy Wednesday?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

That said, as far as I am concerned, it’s Monday.

benji
    Free Member

Tracker1972 you must work in the world of IT, surprised you haven’t managed a mention of the epoch in there for good measure.

If we turn the world on it’s head and start the week with Saturday, does that mean we can have a two day working week and a five day weekend, that would be so much better.

mogrim

Monday, definitely. Nothing “starts” on Sunday, unlike Monday.

Although this week thankfully Monday is in fact Tuesday 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Sunday, because we’re not American.

rene59
    Free Member

Monday, definitely. Nothing “starts” on Sunday, unlike Monday.

Well my new weight loss plan started today, which to me was the dawn of a new week, and as good a day to start as any.

Should have had a fry-up this morning instead and started it tomorrow.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Monday. And by the way,managers that insist on “week 36 projections”.

F off. It’s Monday and it’s “Week COMMENCING”.

Monday.

BillMC

Every day is the weekend for me ; )

footflaps

ISO 8601 apparently defines Monday as the first day of the week.

Well if it’s good enough for ISO 8601, it’s good enough for me!

Monday it is.

rocketman
    Free Member

Got an email the other day from someone to tell me they were going on holiday on week 36 lol

GrahamS

Sunday, because we’re not American.

This.

Americans start the week on Sunday. Europeans mostly start it on a Monday (though some start on Sunday because they work for American companies etc).

Just one of many wonderous and exciting internationalisation* issues you face when writing apps these days:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j74jcxSunY[/video]

* or i18n for proper geeks.

bruneep

Shift worker, so whatever day I start work. Thursday this week

molgrips
    Free Member

US calendars are SMTWTFS
    UK calendars are MTWTFSS

AFAIK at least.

lunge

Monday. Sunday is the weekend, my week starts when I head to work on a Monday morning.

GrahamS

The clue is in the name really: “Week-END

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sunday vs Monday – Start of the week?’ is closed to new replies.