• This topic has 33 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Sunday roast all year round ?
  • oldfart

Was having a conversation in work about said subject.I reckoned staying in and cooking Sunday Roast in the middle of summer was boring and unfair on the person slaving over the hot stove.I said it was fine on a dreary cold wet day in February .The response ? Well what will you be doing?Let me guess going for a bike ride for a change and stopping for tea and cake!How boring is that !I suppose it’s a good job we aren’t all the same .So am i in the minority ?From the people i’ve spoken to so far (non cyclists as well )it would seem not.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do a roast in the barbie! 100% of yum.

trailmonkey

Too hot for roast.

Nick

I would say, do what you want, if you want Sunday roast every Sunday then why not?

Junkyard
    Free Member

hot = not

uplink
    Free Member

Sunday is for a roast dinner – end of

My mam did it – My wife does it
    Tradition isn’t it?

Oh – & Yorkshire puds are for starters not for the main

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A friend of mine does nice roast aubergines :o)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have a Sunday roast pretty much no more that once a month, used to all the time when I was a nip. It was like a religion.

Yorkie puds = the English version of a naan, fill’em and dip’em.

the-muffin-man

We don’t do roasts when its hot – we usually crank up the barbie.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Sunday roast = luxury

Slave away at work all week
    Busy weekend
    Kids in bed
    Beers on the go as its cooking

Mmmmmmmm yummy

Beef with the trimmings in winter
    Flexibility required in summer – fish this week, barbie’d leg of lamb the one before

Pigface
    Free Member

Sunday roasts are great but a real rarity for me. Due to Aunt Bessy Yorkshires seem to be served with any meat.

Want roast Pork now, bugger.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so, something has to die ?

uplink
    Free Member

so, something has to die ?

absolutely

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, Sunday roast is traditional . . . as is the Sunday bike ride (hastily snatched couple of hours before cooking lunch if we have guests, otherwise I go out afterwards to pedal it off 😉 )

iamsporticus
    Free Member

The last 5 mins I wasted of my life searching google image for a pic of a “vegetarian troll” yielded this:

http://www.vegansoapbox.com/anti-vegan-trolls/

So not totally wasted then

🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

Iamsporticus

kids in bed? No roast for the nippers! I’ve half a mind to put social services onto you!

LoulaBella
    Free Member

Giant Yorkshire pud filled with chicken curry.

crikey
    Free Member

Sunday Roast?

Is it the 1950s over again?

chvck
    Free Member

We have sunday roast every sunday here and then sunday roast left overs for at least 2 days!

djglover
    Free Member

Each sunday, in the ideal world, and it often seems to work out this way for me if I plan it properly!: I will get up at 6 and spend 3 hours with the babies (twins), then ride on the surrey hills for 4 hours, then come home cook a fantastic rib roast with all the trimmings (or something equally great) for my wife. Then get a bit drunk on a great bottle of red and roger her senseless. There really is time to do all the good things in life I find. Monday is never a great day at work following this though.

slimtubing
    Free Member

djglover is my new god!

anagallis_arvensis

I did leg of lamb on barbie last sunday, very good too, had been deboned and marinading in lemon juice and mint for 24 hours before hand, served with new pots and salad, bloody loveley

thefettler
    Free Member

Lots of peeps have a chrismas roast here in oz(40c+ hatters,mad as)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Roast dinners are wonderful things. Probably the best dinner therre is. In the summer, go for lamb (mint sauce, mmmmmmmm) or chicken. Pork or beef in Winter, generally, although it’s all good. I don’t get them very often as MrsPP is veggie, but when we have visitiors we go to town on it. For some reason I like having visitors…!
    The food MUST be top quality. No supermarket meat – Find a good butcher, pay the price, it’s worth it!
    🙂

But

Due to Aunt Bessy Yorkshires seem to be served with any meat.

What? Ready made Yourkshires? Are you INSANE? Rubbery abominations, the work of the devil!
    It’s egg, flour, milk, and very simple to make. I could probably make some in the time it took you to open the packet.
    Go and sit in a corner and think about whet you have just said. Go on!

Packet mixes and pre-prepared food? Nononononononoooooo!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Auntie Bessies are only good as a very last resort if you can’t find a rubber swimming cap first.

Mr Poddy is correct – make em from scratch and they come before the meal – old Tyke trick to fill you up so you need less of the expensive meat & veg.

Have roast every Sunday in winter, well veggie version.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Roast every Sunday evening at Mainwaring barracks. In the summer roast it on the barbie – if anything tastes even better. If it’s beef or chicken often have it with salad and new potatoes if the weather’s good. Barbie with a lid keeps it moister than an oven – even roast venison haunch is fine without marinading.

Love the cold meat for a couple of days, especially the Henry VIII impersonations when you get to the bone.

Pigface
    Free Member

Easy Proddy there you go vaulting over howitzers as usual 😉

tomzo
    Free Member

No roasts in the summer. Too hot, and almost too much in hot weather. Lighter, simplier dishes for me please!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I do a roast dinner pretty much every Sunday after a couple of hours over the Chase. Normally chicken, as it’s Mr Toast’s favourite, but occasionally lamb or beef. I only every do Yorkshire puds with beef, and stuffing with chicken. Roast parsnips and taters with everything!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sunday roasts are rubbish.

Give me almost any food, but not Sunday roasts.

DezB
    Free Member

Haven’t had a really great roast since my Gran died (about 15 years ago). Don’t really miss them.
    Hate the washing up they create.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Roast dinners are wonderful things. Probably the best dinner therre is.

That is incorrect.

donsimon
    Free Member

Too hot? You can find many restaurants that offer Sunday roasts for the more adventurous traveller, for example:

Pino Golf de Don Carlos
    18 Elviria, Marbella 29600
    Elviria
    Telephone +34 952 838 604
    British Cuisine Photo : Browns restaurant
    Open 7 Days a week
    9.00AM – 12.00 Midnight (kitchen closes at 10.00pm)
    If you prefer the traditional cuisine of England then Browns is the place.
    How to find Browns? Take the exit for Elvira from the N340 then you will find Pinogolf commercial centre, Browns is behind Opencor.

Daily: English dishes, full English breakfast, Jacket potatoes with filling of your choice, freshly made sandwiches & baguettes, children’s menu and choice of draught beers including Guiness, Cider, Heineken and San Miguel.
    Every Sunday traditional family roast dinner.

😀

DezB
    Free Member

So that’s why I’ve never been to Marbella!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Sunday roast all year round ?’ is closed to new replies.