Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Sunday MTB/Trail ride in Edinburgh
  • 13thfloormonk

Yep, i definitely managed it, and am definitely NOT superhuman, just got a lucky line on a dry day with a big tyre i think (same tyre that i cleared allermuir with, they might be heavy but those rubber queens grip!)

Am beginning to view these climbs like little individual bouldering problems, all of them have one ‘crux’ move and aren’t necessarily part of a bigger route.

next up is the side of whitehill (crux: one final 5 metre section which is ridiculously steep) and the southern slope of allermuir (crux: finding a line, any line…)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a nice climb for yu on costorphine hill then – I have been using it in the same way – not seen anyone get up it. Series of rock steps with sharp turns. Nearly made it but not quite.

I dunno how you got up that slope. I have tried it on a solo as well and in 22/34 granny with my full weight on the pedal it just stalled

13thfloormonk

Hmm, i’ve never been very good at steps in climbs, i twiddle low gears at a high cadence and it doesn’t always give me enough momentum to bump up and over stuff.

Will need to go and explore corstorphine again, haven’t been in years. Where’s the climb?

robgarrioch

Anyone cleared the one from the gate / cattle-grid on the west side of Allermuir to the top? Can manage about 3/4 up & no more, lousy steep, bumpy terrain!

13thfloormonk

I’ve managed it once and almost managed again last week but was going too slowly when my front wheel hit a small step. I’d like to think i could manage it without a monstrous, sticky freeride tyre, but i think thats what made the difference, allows you to be a little more clumsy on the pedals in the heat of the moment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

12th – hard to explain. On the way down from the top to the north near the flooded quarry

13thfloormonk

OK, I remember the flooded quarry at least! maybe go have a look around tonight…

druidh
    Free Member

Having completely wandered OT, is this ride tomorrow still on?

markd
    Free Member

sounds poopy.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

As far as I know it is still on. I got caught in the rain today however, going to be rainy again tomorrow though…

druidh
    Free Member

markd – Member

sounds poopy.

It will be if you’re not going

markd
    Free Member

well thats that then, it will be poopy.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Yeah, I am not too keen on cycling in the pishing rain. I was out at the Pentlands this morning with steven, and it was glorious for the first half, then it rained. Tomorrow is forcasted to be worse.

jimmy

All these challenges sound interesting (not necessarily in a possible way) but I’m wimping out to climb at Ratho tomorrow in the dry. If there’s any (dry) summer’s evenings in the Pentlands on the cards, however…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Still on as far as I am concerned 10.30 at fiveways – 11.30 at the viaduct, 12 at bonaly carpark

gecko76

I’m up for it, draggy rear Juicy 5 notwithstanding.

druidh
    Free Member

Wot route do you take up to Bonaly from the WoL?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dunno how to describe it. Basically straight up the hill on the road past the scout camp. Not thru the centre of colinton but past is it West Mills?

gecko76

Come off before the bypass. West Mill road, cross Woodhall, up Bonaly Road, least that’s what I do.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

Jimmy – YGM

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds like it Gecko

gecko76

Good old A to Z.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mark – you need to turn up!

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

TJ, I regret that I might give tomorrow a miss, especially with it forecasted to pish it down. I got really wet on todays ride and I have had my fill (my trainers will still be soaked by tomorrow and well, rain is meh). We can try arranging another one soon hopefully. Might try and get to a climbing wall instead…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fink out! Yer not made of Sugar are you ? Will you dissolve?
    ]Fair enough – youshould see the face my other half is pulling at the thought of going out in the rain. I’ll still be going past fiveways at 10.30 if you change your mind

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

TJ, Your otherhalf MTB’s too?

I won’t dissolve, and fishing out mud from in my ersecrack in the shower-post MTB ride-can be fun, but I just don’t fancy it tomorrow. 😛

I will be up early tomorrow anyways, if anything changes, I’ll come along.

markd
    Free Member

why do i need to turn up?

got a present for me?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup Kissy kissy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sab – who do you think sits on the tandem with me?

markd
    Free Member

omg.

AlasdairMc

I should still be on for tomorrow assuming I get up early enough to replace a shock bushing.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

the pentlands was really quiet today, hardly saw anyone else. we did canal – bonaly – clubbiedean – maidens – green cleugh – blackhill – white cleugh – green cleugh – glencorse – castlelaw (rip) – puke hill – quad track – scaletrix – bonaly – canal. pretty much bone dry trails and sunshine as well all the way round 😀 cracking four hours of riding.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye – be anti-social then.

What did you think of Castlelaw?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

did you go out then? we wanted an early start so left at 10am.

castlelaw is pretty rubbish now 🙁 i used to like it coming from puke hill and using the rocky bit as a descent. did it as a climb and its really boring and easier now. took the wee grassy line at one point, only to discover that i couldn’t get back onto the main path 😡 very glad i got back before the rain though! thinking riding with company will get me back on track and i’ll be clocking up the miles again before i know it! was this not the weekend of your sportive?

druidh
    Free Member

* cough *

sportive?

* cough*

Nah – I was out of sorts at the start of the week (migraine) and that ruled it out for me. Was out with TJ, Julie, Genks and a couple of other STW-forumites. Good run. The tracks arewere all nice and dry. Glad I got back before the thunderstorm though.

balfa
    Free Member

Missed this one. If anyone fancies a ride this week then let me know.

jimmy

i’m looking to ride Weds or Thurs evening, Pents or GT maybe.

Gutted not to have ridden today. Stupid weather forecasts.

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – you were best to stay at home. It was too hot…. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Finally back to the house – Knackered I am. Not been out for ages and that made it hard work. ( getting my excuses in first.)

Nice to get out and meet some folks I ain’t met before. I showed them all the nasty climbs – then they left me in a puffing sweating heap at the side of the climbs.

Pics in a few mins

markd
    Free Member

it were fun.

think we had the best of the weather for sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Sunday MTB/Trail ride in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.