Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sump pumps/Pumps for changing the oil?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

are these worth having?
    are they mainly for situations where it’s impracticle to drain from, underneath?
    got 2 vehicles to do, no garage, one`s a pain to jack up…

nickjb
    Free Member

I use a pump now. Apparently they get more oil out but some debate this. Seems about the same to me. Easier to use and less chance of getting oil on the floor. No risk of a stripped sump plug. All good IMO.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

excellant, thanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some cars are designed around them, others aren’t.

I’m sceptical that it could do a better job than jacking my focus up and taking the sump plug out, especially as the sump plug is on the back of the sump so by jacking itup to get underneath all the oil naturally drains out. Shoving a pipe down the dispstick is never going to drain it that well unless sumps start to be designed with cone bottoms, or sumps within sumps. And if there was any rubbish in the sump (swarf, fibres, gunk) it’s got more chance flowing out of a 12mm hole than up a a 3mm hose.

And it has to be jacked up because the filter is under there too so it’s not saving a job.

Northwind

Always seen them mostly as a way for garages to do the job worse but faster tbh.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

well i couldn’t find one in the end so i jacked it up anyway.
    that was the renault 4 tho, so it was easy.
    Scudo tomoro. annoying as i don’t have proper jack for it…

JohnnyPanic

I’m changing the oil in my Focus Diesel maybe 3 times a year now.
    I figure if two of those times I use the pump and once a year do it from the plug, it’s a hell of a lot easier and should be fine.

With a diesel they (mine anyway) can also be used to prime the fuel pump, should the need arise…

project
    Free Member

Our local petrol stations used to have sump pumps next to the air lines, worked well, and they sold lots of new oil, but not filters, sadly they went of buisness.

Get engine warm first and leave for 10 mins t let oil flow back down into sump and then suck and refill.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sump pumps/Pumps for changing the oil?’ is closed to new replies.