Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Summer train to Bourg-Saint-Maurice with(out?) bike – tell me about it
  • chum3
    Free Member

Hi Folks

I’m planning on hooking up with a couple mates in Bourg this summer for some riding and as they’ll already be out there, I thought getting a one way ticket on the train from London seemed like a good idea.

I have the option of giving them my bike to take for me, or I could take my bike with me so I’m not without it a while.

How much faff it taking a bike with you on the train? I realise I might have to do a transfer in Paris. I do have a padded bike bag I was planning on using, but that might cause more problems if they are set up for taking assembled bikes, and not massive bags.

Thoughts, suggestions, experience from STW please!

Thanks…

dpfr
    allthepies
    Free Member

Lugging bike across Paris with full height Metro barriers == no fun so I’ve been told. Let them take your bike.

chum3
    Free Member

allthepies – that’s kinda what I suspected and have heard, but don’t know anyone who’s actually done the journey, and the Paris transfer in particular. Didn’t want to make the assumption though…

saxabar
    Free Member

Done it a couple of times. London actually trickier than Paris although the first gate at Gard du Nord is a faff. Very easy to get on and off SNCF train. Still, if mates can take your bike then do that!

jeff

Have done it 10 years or so ago. It was doable in a big group but given the choice I’d let someone else take the load. Lugging bikes over barriers in parisian summer heat was a sweaty business.

Also, we encountered a few dodgy types on the train – will you be able to keep an eye on your bike all the time?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Was at Bike Village 3 years ago and a couple of other clients had travelled to Bourg by train with their bikes and seemed to manage with no trouble .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Summer train to Bourg-Saint-Maurice with(out?) bike – tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.