• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Summer trail tyre
  • shanta
    Free Member

Whats a good tyre for summer use, something with a low rolling resistence and good grip?

Are Shwalbe Rocket Ron, Nobby Nik or Racing Ralphs any cop?

Thanks in advance.

gothandy

Can’t help with the list above, but I’d recommend Kenda Small Block 8 … lovely tyre.

Olly
    Free Member

i LOOOOOVE conti race kings long time.

but they are thin, and will puncture easily if your a heavy rider.

luckily, i (try to) fall into the hop skip and a jump crowd, so dont work them too hard.

grip wise, they are velcro

resistance wise, there isnt any.

nuke

SB8 front and rear on my XC bike

Advantage front and Aspen rear on the more play bike

nicko74

My own personal preference is Bontrager Jones ACX, very grippy, fast-rolling and general all-round winner.

nuke

Bontrager Jones ACX

They were great on my 29er. Stopped doing them now though, haven’t they? Noticed woolyhatshop has some on eBay though

rossrobot
    Free Member

Maxxis advantage +1

SOAP
    Free Member

aDvantage front Crossmark rear! job done:)

br
    Free Member

Front – Advant
    Rear – RR or Larsen or Crossmark

althepal

Just changed from Mountain kings (black chilli 2.2) to nobby nics and went round kirroughtree today. The MKs were great when I first fitted them but seemed to fall away. Possibly because of commuting on them?
    The NNs were fantastic today, same weight, same good rolling resistance but the grip was brilliant on the dry trails and rock step ups. Big improvement IMHO.
    Cracking deal on them at on one just now, almost half price. Might be last years tyre or something but great value at £23 an end!
    That is all.

nicko74

Bontrager Jones ACX

They were great on my 29er. Stopped doing them now though, haven’t they? Noticed woolyhatshop has some on eBay though
    Really? Bum, I need to get a pair sharpish!

stevede
    Free Member

High roller 2.35 st front, Larsen 2.35 rear for me on the Pitch, works great.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Nobby nic front and Ralph rear works well for me – fast rolling but plenty of bite in the corners up front.
    Might bung a Ralph on the front at some stage and see how that goes – they seem to have plenty of grip tbh.

neninja
    Free Member

My Rubber Queen 2.2 front Advantage 2.1 rear combo seems to be working well at the moment

stevenc
    Free Member

Conti Mountain King 2.2’s cant fault them.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yep i just put summer tyres on my bike (ditto to what stevenc says above…. 😉

grahamt1980

Running razor 2.3’s on the hardtail. Quite a lot of grip when you consider how little tread there is. Massively fast and lots of drifty fun

mikewsmith
    Free Member

right then I recommended swamp things!

no seriously in the southern hemisphere it’s winter!

to answer this properly

1) Where do you live/ride – are there any hills/rocks/roots/mountains
    2) What bike XC/AM??
    3) What do you want to do?

I was on my summer tyres this weekend 2.35 minions (same as my winter tyres) the rocks are big and sharp

chvck
    Free Member

High roller 2.35 front, Larsen 2.35 rear for me on my hardtail. Larsen can get a touch skittery if you corner hard but that just adds to the fun! I wouldn’t fancy a Larsen on the front myself, if i had the money I’d probably put a rubber queen or race king on the front

montylikesbeer

Advantage 2.5 both ends for ne , works well

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run Nobby Nic up front and Racing Ralph out back at this time of year on 2 bikes, t’other has Rocket Rons fore & aft.

Both are great combos, fast and grippy.

shanta
    Free Member

Thinking of getting the SB8’s. What size would most suitable 2.1, 2.35 etc?

nuke

IIRC (…and it is a stretch as this is quite a while ago) when the SB8 was first reviewed the 2.1 came out excellent so the reviewers were very keen to try the 2.35 but when they did, it was an anti-climax as the 2.1 actually performed better.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Summer trail tyre’ is closed to new replies.