Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Summer Solstice ride – Up’n’down Ben Lomond for sunrise
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Hi all

A quick post to invite STWers on a dawn Ben Lomond ride to watch the first sunrise of the summer.

The trail starts from the car park at the end of the road just beyond the Rowardennan Hotel (G63 0AR). Meet at the car park for 2.45am, start riding at 3am to be at the summit for the sunrise at 4.31am. It’s an 8 mile round trip and will probably find some trails on the way down to extend it to 15 miles or maybe longer. Pace will be slow/hiking on the way up, mainly due to me being on a stupid SS, but pant-stainingly fast on the way back down. Hopefully. The weather looks to be mild and showery, so the sunrise may not be that spectacular :o( but that won’t put us off.

If you’re up for joining us email me on leepaulvickersbikes at mac.com.

druidh
    Free Member

Lee – doesn’t look like I can make it. But I also seriously doubt I’d be able to make it to the summit in 1h30m ….

I reckon 6km / 950m ascent would be more like 2h30m for me – but then I don’t know how much is bikeable on the way up.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d allow 2hrs at least for the way up. It’s about 60% rideable though.

2tyred

I did this ride last week – allow 2 hrs for the ascent.

stevomcd, you can ride 60% of that climb? Impressive! Lucky if I rode 20% (but I’d ridden there from home, 30 odd miles away, that’s my excuse)

The descent’s mega. Enjoy!

stevomcd
    Free Member

60% rideable I reckon, maybe not what I rode!

I was pretty surprised how much of it was do-able though. Some rocky carries at the start, then some rideable bits. Steep up until the gate, then most of the ridge is OK. Top bit is not going to happen!

It’s almost 100% rideable on the descent though, that’s the main thing! Epic descent.

EdwardH

Now that would have made a great post late night baby feed de-stress. Pitty I happen to be offshore for the first time in 3 months :cry:.

I agree with the speedy ascent times, last time I did this it took 2 1/2 hours to get to the top, with about 20-30% rideable. One and a half hours would kill me. Take a full face helmet and body armour and dont touch the brakes………..

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Well, the weather doesn’t look to be great, so we’re not that fussed at making the summit for 4.31!

It’s not a race, we’re just going to enjoy it. The adrenaline’s started pumping just thinking about the descent already!

BoardinBob

A late fitness test on my knee has ruled me out. Struggling to walk more than ten feet so I don’t think climbing a mountain is the best idea. 🙁

Gutterball.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

No problem Bob, sorry to hear you’re in a bad way.

We’re doing a lot of long distance Sustrans-type riding at the moment. The next one will be Glasgow-Balloch, so will give you a shout if you’re up for that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Summer Solstice ride – Up’n’down Ben Lomond for sunrise’ is closed to new replies.