Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Summer sleeping Bags – 2 season – 2/3 season – Where from? Any point?
  • Kahurangi

'lo folks

I don't, to my shame have a sleeping bag. I've always been able to borrow one from the folks but they're no longer handy.

My immediate need is a camping holiday, 4 squashed in a car and riving off to France (not Alps), which suggests a 1-2 season bag.

I'd like to have it useable for 2-3 season UK use, which could be stretched by the silk liner that I already have.

I can get by with a too-warm bag unzipped over the liner for my hol but would like something that packed down nicely.

Tesco do a small snug (short and narrow, 0.9 kg they reckon) goose down bag that would do for £70 for a pair. I can get vango (2/3 season synthetic, real size, bulkier) ones from Millets online for £52 a pair.

Anything else to consider?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I got a Gelert Tryfan Classic DL 3 season one from winfields for £15

MrSmith
    Free Member

snugpak

slugwash
    Free Member

Tesco do a small snug (short and narrow, 0.9 kg they reckon) goose down bag that would do for £70 for a pair.

I've got one of the Tesco down bags. They're a bargain and pack down small but two things to consider. Firstly, the inner fabric is not silky like pertex and can be a tad sticky against the skin so IME you need some sort of liner to get comfortable in it. Secondly, It's not really a real 3 season bag. I sleep warm but felt the cold in mine with a silk liner and thermals at about 2 – 5 degrees C on Dartmoor in the spring. I've since bought a ME 3 season down one for colder camping excursions and it's really toasting 🙂

If weight is not an issue then Snugpak bags come highly recommended. They're warm, durable and pack down small. They're not too badly priced either.

deft
    Free Member

I have a Snugpak Softie 3 that packs down teeny tiny, extra clothes are a much better use of space than a warmer (+ bigger) sleeping bag

avdave2

We also got my daughter the Gelert one for around £15. Seems really good value and has an inner shoulder drawstring baffle as well as the hood if it gets a bit chilly.

Sandwich

Rock and Run are doing a Deuter 3 season synthetic for £35 currently.

Vader
    Free Member

i have a rab 2/3 season down bag which is about 16 years old now and still going strong. It was about 150 (which seemed a lot) at the time but over the years it has obviously worked out as very god value for money. I always use a liner to keep it clean and have had it washed at franklins probably 3 times. If you can stretchto it i'd go for the quality option with the intention of having it a long time. I have used it with a warm liner or with thermals for winter/alpine trips and generally it is fine in the uk summers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Summer sleeping Bags – 2 season – 2/3 season – Where from? Any point?’ is closed to new replies.