Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,496 total)
  • summer rugby
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Back in the amateur game a bit of cheating was all part of the fun but as the professional era dawned and the game got a lot faster / harder the tolerance for such things has been sliding. The direction of travel on these issues is against the big cheating Aussie and I was shocked he got away with it. The appeal makes a lot of sense to me. IRB taking a stand as to how such things should be interpreted. IMO what Horwill did is now completely unacceptable although was part of the game 20 years ago. Canadian QC to rule on the appeal I will be shocked again if he isn’t banned for the 3rd test.

wrecker
    Free Member

There were, and are some expectations by players of a bit of naughty. I know that if I’m on the wrong side, I’ll still probably get a bit of a shoeing. I know that there is a likelihood of being punched especially if I’m doing my job. One thing that (to my mind) has never been and will never be acceptable is high tackles. I am not prepared to accept that it’s part of rugby. I generally play with a smile and like to enjoy the game. There is very little which occurs on the field which will make me properly violent. The exception is a high tackle. If I receive one; I’m punching someone and that’s it.

I don’t see how they IRB can not ban Horwill. It’s on video FFS. He’s done it in one of the most high profile rugby games of the year. They have to send the message that it’s unacceptable.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Funny how a high tackle was always frowned upon but a bit of a shoeing to the face was for years part of the game.

I’m getting squeaky bum re tomorrow’s game already.

Kryton57

I was on the plane home (from the Caribbean) today, and the bloke sitting next to me was on a connections based trip to Aus to meet with friends and watch the tests tomorrow – a 30hr trip to Gatwick, Heathrow, Hong Kong and then Aus.

Yet becuase tomorrow is designated “post holiday rest day” Mrs K is allowing me to reside on the Sofa for the Lions matched followed by and afternoon of the Grand Depart. *much grinning*

anagallis_arvensis

Funny how a high tackle was always frowned upon but a bit of a shoeing to the face was for years part of the game.

Different from when/where I played. Boot face interactions would result in a fight, high tackles would not normally if it was one of those accidental arm out type of things. Tip tackles were positively encouraged!
    I once got sent off after smacking a guy who kicked one of our players in the face, he got sent off too. I did not recieve a ban, he did.
    I once got sent of for a tip tackle too but that was in a touch rugby tournament 😳

anagallis_arvensis

😮

duckman

IMO,Face was always out of order, from memory of the second tier of Engerland rugby in the 90’s; biting,stamping on anything, testicular cancer checks and at least one all in a game. Things were especially interesting for a couple of years after the grand slam. The dirtiest games I ever played in were London Scottish v Welsh.They were just over the park and we used to play them a couple of times a year.

bigblackshed

A shoeing for lying on the wrong side of the ruck was part of the game when I played. More than a few times I’ve had deep welts on my back. The odd punch in retaliation for some naughtiness too.

Unacceptable in my book was swinging arm high tackles, genitailia, gouging.

I got banned for 6 weeks for repeatedly punching the opposition 6 when he gouged me for the 2nd time in the first 10 minutes. The ref apparently saw no evidence of apart from the fact he had his thumb in my eye socket whilst I was still punching him. Lets say the after match dinner was “interesting”.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t think ice ever finished a game without stud marks up and down my back.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

I don’t think ice ever finished a game without stud marks up and down my back.

Well you must have done a lot of lying over the ball on the wrong side then. 🙂

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

sorry if its been asked but are there any decent live feeds similar to the cyclingfans site ??

mikey3
    Free Member

cricfreetv seems ok for a feed

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

cheers. 2 hour ride now , then lions, then moto gp then tour….busy day 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Worried about a lack of grunt in the front five this week. Without POC a big lump like an on form Bradley Davies would be nice. Shame those cheating kiwis and a bad anklewrecked his season. Hope Lydiate can step it up too.

Stoner
    Free Member

woohoo! a mate has giving me his online sky login for the weekend while he’s at PDS so I can actually watch the test today!

And then the Tdf on ITV4.

OMG Im not leaving the house….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed, the skill and experience of POC is a big loss. This is going to be very tense, Australia will fancy their chances in the scrum and with ball in hand, the breakdown will depend on the ref. Lions must play pressure rugby with high discipline, Halfpenny will deliver, the Aussie kicker whoever it is will be under huge pressure.

Perhaps yesterday wasn’t the best day to change the hard drive on the computer – fingers crossed I can reboot from original – no satellite option here 🙁 …

anagallis_arvensis

Shame we didn’t also take that big Scottish lump for the second row either. Parling and WA Jones looks a weak pairing to me, both good players but not sure they will work well together.

DanW
    Free Member

Does anyone have a decent live stream for those outside the UK?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DanW – look back in this thread – wizig or something plus above – don’t download anything – I think even my Mac got a few gremlins after last week (my ownership of the hard drive was revoked and trash directory dissappeared.

PS Booted from original HD, machine running sweet with 4x memory now – I knew you all wanted an update 😉

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Not great so far

anagallis_arvensis

Replace vunipola quick

DanW
    Free Member

Not having any luck with any of the wiziwig streams or any others I can find on google 🙁

Does anyone have a working link for outside the uk?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting comments from Wallace at half time that Aussies are conning the ref at the scrum, Vinipola actually having a decent game. Hope he’s right !

One more half boys to close it out …

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DanW – first option dropped out at 30 mins, on sepecond now

taxi25
    Free Member

Watching it on this.

http://nutjob.eu/njtvx3.html

I accept no responsibility though !!!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Time for Vunipola to leave the field

jambalaya
    Free Member

Play smart take penalty via drop goal attempt.

Our scrum is a major problem, we are living on the edge here

We need Jones to stay on and make some changes

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Great start from Murray

novaswift
    Free Member

What’s the score? I’m in Florida

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great start from Murray

Just about to say the same thing…my stream is obviously three minutes behind though 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

LOL @ NOrth 😀

Its like those bits in Die Hard films where the baddie is used as a bullet shield.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What a kick. Lions, lions !!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lions win a scrum penalty without Jones, we of little faith. I couldn’t watch the kick too wound up. Come on Lions.

Stoner
    Free Member

gah!

I wouldnt bet the farm on the Lions scrum right now 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

weeps

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ah balls

allthepies
    Free Member

😯

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I can’t watch

Stoner
    Free Member

ermegurd!!!

duckman

Nothing more than they deserve there. All been the home side most of this half, out played our back row all day. Hey-ho; all for Sydney next week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,496 total)

The topic ‘summer rugby’ is closed to new replies.