Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Summer Road Bike – lube of choice 2016 ?
  • iainc

Following on from all those pictures of shiny summer bikes, what’s the chain lube of choice for these ‘good bikes’ ?

I am on ProGold Prolink after a PSA a while back where I got a couple of big spray bottles that I decant into a small one to apply.

So what’s the best out there for dryish road miles ?

Kryton57

I find Squirt very good on my road bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Squirt here too.

iainc

Interesting – I use Squirt on all the MTB’s in dryer times and the kids bikes yr round and really rate it, but when I used it on the summer road bike a year or so ago I recall getting a build up of black gunky flakes and balls around the jockey wheels, rings and mechs.

Maybe will give it another go. I have some Fenwicks road stealth stuff too, but only tried it once and thought it was a bit dirty

scotroutes

Pedros Ice Wax

iainc

I was half expecting you to say Squirt too there scotroutes 🙂

scotroutes

Next time you’re up, remind me to give you a bottle of Ice Wax to try. I currently have a bit extra

iainc

^^^ good man, 3 weeks on thursday 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Currently using Muc Off wax, seems great in dry weather but its useless if you get caught in a rainstorm and forget to clean & lube the bike as soon as you get home 😳

stevious

Rock N Roll for me.

wilburt
    Free Member

I ran out of lube recently, the only thing lurking in my garage was a gallon of VAG diesel spec motor oil. I put some in a lube bottle and have been using it since, its actually quite good.

lunge

Old skool Finish Line Dry for me, I’m yet to find anything better.
    Tried Squirt and didn’t like it at all, too much gunk and didn’t last long.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah, the biannual Iainc what lube thread. 😆

Flaperon

Muc Off C3 Ceramic dry for me. The UV light is a bit pointless but fun to play with.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like squirt off road but also found it turns black quickly on the road. I thank bk squirt themselves said it was a static thing attractions by spent rubber particles and were working on something road specific.

Or I could have dreamed it.

iainc

Nobeer – you can always count on me 🙂

iainc

Ah well, Prolink Progold goes back on for now and will try the Ice Wax next, cheers all

schmiken

Chain L is awesome stuff.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I just use TF2 spray.

Spray it on, leave for a bit, wipe off excess if I can be bothered. Use it on mechs and shifters too.

I found dry lubes do create a build up.

scaredypants

I’m on squirt, too

I had some icewax about 10 years ago and haven’t seen it since – seem to remember it was quite messy though. Bought an emergency supply of some boeshield when I was in america last year and that smelt just like I remember the pedros (funny, it was messy too)

iainc

The ProGold stuff I got last year is quite clean and lasts fine. I have about a litre of it so will keep applying for now 😀

Just wondering what others were using and what was working well.

Just remembered I bought some of that UBS stuff which is water washable, so might try that too 🙂

mattbee

Ive used Muc Off C3 dry on road and mtb for about a year now. It does end re applying pretty quickly after a wet ride, but the chain seems to stay clean and I’ve had no appreciable wear even on my mtb.
    I have a few of the tiny sample bottles they tend to give away at events in seat pack/camelbak in case I need to stick a bit more on mid ride but tbh I’ve never had to even when doing a 50 odd mile torrential rain penance ride…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use rock n roll dry, the red one, on the summer road bike. It is a dry weather lube though so I don’t get to use it much 🙂

I use ubs on my commuter in summer, works fine but it’s very watery so quite messy to apply from the spray bottle.

Rock n roll extrem for wet weather road riding, did over 5 hours on the road yesterday in the pissing rain and didn’t have a squek from the drivetrain

iainc

cheers. I have a bottle of the UBS stuff that I haven’t used apart from stopping the garage door squeaking 🙂 May give that a try !

chakaping
    Free Member

Muc Off C3 Ceramic dry

This and White Lightning Epic Ride are my current choices.

Both seem very clean and effective enough.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Summer Road Bike – lube of choice 2016 ?’ is closed to new replies.