• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Summer long sleeve road jersey
  • roger_mellie

I’m after a long sleeve jersey for road riding, for days when its not quite summer temps, or summer evenings when its cooler. Definitely not Roubaix material. Like a Ground Effect Rock Lobster, but I have one of those and find the sleeves a bit too short and would prefer a gripper hem.

Current googling offers up the Endura Xtract long sleeve (in either dull black or eye-piercing red). Any other suggestions under £100?

Ta muchly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I found them rather difficult to get hold of. My wife got one in the end from eBay via China I think. In the style of Captain America…

The top’s good if a little loose in large, but the tights we didn’t realise we are getting are way too small.

theotherjonv

arm warmers and your short sleeved jersey.

Seriously, my arm and knee warmers are my most worn and loved kit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

In situations like that I just wear arm warmres and a gilet, like this mornings commute for example. Short sleeved jersey, arm warmers and gilets for wearing to work, gilet and arm warmers in pockets for the return journey.

simondbarnes

I gave up on them. Short sleeved and armwarmers are so more versatile (and less flappy)

jamiep
    Free Member

I just use arm warmers for these scenarios

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Arm warmers here too. Morvelo, Rapha, and I’m sure others, also make arm ‘screens’, like arm warmers but made of plain Lycra without the fleecy backing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Short sleeved and armwarmers are so more versatile

For me, arm warmers ALWAYS ride down leaving a strip of forearm to get cold and uncomfortable.

dantsw13

Another vote for arm warmers and a very thin gilet. I have a Rapha brevet one that looks like nothing, but adds that extra layer in the early morning, that folds away to nothing in a back pocket when you warm up.

simondbarnes

For me, arm warmers ALWAYS ride down leaving a strip of forearm to get cold and uncomfortable.

Get yourself into a gym or eat more pies 😉

theotherjonv

do you lick the silicone gripper before putting them on?

Also works for hold-ups, i’m told.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If the arm warmers are cheap or you buy the wrong size that could be an issue.

I have a Rapha brevet one

Same here, packs down tiny.

molgrips
    Free Member

eat more pies

Hahahaha… yeah good one.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used to laugh at my roadie mate for having arm warmers and then I actually tried them. Humble pie was eaten. I have the cheap Aldi ones and they stay up fine, even after several season’s use.

jonba
    Free Member

I wanted one as well. I really struggled. Pros have them and you can get long sleeve skin suits so why you can’t get a decent long sleeve jersey is beyond me. I wanted one as I occasionally wear a long sleeve baselayer underneath when arm warmers don’t quite cut it.

I have one from Northwave that is good. But they aren’t very common. Got it from start cycles.

I have a really cheap one from cycle-clothing.co.uk which I use for CX training and warmups as it gets trashed.

I notice that wiggle are doing a dhb aeron one. Most of the rest of the DHB kit I’ve found to be really good (and fitted). They were about £44 this morning as there was an offer on.

roger_mellie

Ah, thanks all, hadn’t thought of arm warmers! Will investigate the suggestions. Cheers.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My Pearl Izumi arm warmers fit perfectly even on my pipe cleaner arms.

However if you are wanting a long sleeve non-thermal jersey then The RoadRace Light is well worth a look.

xico
    Free Member

I’m nesh (Yorkshire term, I think) and only wear short sleeves when it’s an absolute heatwave, long sleeves every time for me and bib longs most of the time as well. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Arm warmers/coolers! Everything from thickish roubaix ones, to water resistant ones, to mid weight, all the way to ones like the Compressport that actually seem to have a cooling effect. Skins ones seem pretty good for this time of year.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Rapha pro team long sleeve.

I like arm warmers for the versatility but find this a bit more comfortable, aero fit though so not a very forgiving look!

MoreCashThanDash

Arm warmers, or if you must, Altura Slipstream Jersey.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have two Campag ones which are ace, but Campag clobber is pretty much dead these days. In fact I am wearing one right now… just commuted, not some sort of fetish thing.

Sportful do a good long sleeve – the Pro version. Hang on I’ll find a link.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

here you go

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-bodyfit-pro-thermal-jersey-1/

It’s a tad roubaix but not so warm it’s a problem.

STATO
    Free Member

To extend the OP question, if you wear arm warmers with a jersey do you also wear a base layer or gilet? I find that if my arms get cold my chest (or mainly stomach) get cold first. So much so ive taken to just wearing a sleeveless baselayer under the jersey to add a bit of core warmth most of the time otherwise I end up riding in a gilet all day, as even summer rides can get cool in the evening or setting off early.

njee20
    Free Member

To extend the OP question, if you wear arm warmers with a jersey do you also wear a base layer or gilet?

Don’t tend to wear arm warmers and a base layer – arm warmers are more prone to falling down IME. Gilet, if the conditions dictate then absolutely. I’ve not worn a gilet twice this year (and shouldn’t have bothered on a few more occasions), love ’em!

aP
    Free Member

The PedalEd long sleeve jerseys are nice – not too warm, and if you buy at the right time then they’re relatively well priced.

mrblobby
    Free Member

To extend the OP question, if you wear arm warmers with a jersey do you also wear a base layer or gilet?

Sleeveless base layer. Usually the Castelli string vest one.

Haze

Did anyone mention arm warmers?

I had a long sleeve jersey once…

edhornby

If you can find one at a sensible price the Castelli sottile is great as it gives some thermal if needed, or shower protection if it suddenly starts bombing it down, and packs small enough to go in the middle jersey pocket

edhornby

Try prendas for long sleeve summer Jerseys but I’d choose arm warmers

theotherjonv

I always wear a base layer, even when hot. Some sort of compression top rather than a thermal one. I hate being cold.

ceepers

This is exactly what you want

http://torm.cc/t5.html#ad-image-19

If you don’t own arm warmers already, get some as well! As mentioned above they are a priceless bit of kit (Torms ones are decent and cheap) . I get what you mean though – if I know that the warmers will stay on the whole ride I prefer a long sleeve jersey

antigee

wear my Ground Effect Rock Lobster a lot but agree the fit isn’t classic road – as an alternative often wear a thin long sleeved thermal top under a classic sleeveless 3 pocket vest – less trad’ than arm warmers but works well for me

ctk
    Free Member

planet x have arm warmers for £5ish. No idea if any good though.

roger_mellie

Wow, wasn’t expecting such a response! Thanks all. Have ordered some Morvelo arm ‘screens’. Already have a sportful gilet. Will ponder the Jersey recommendations further (not heard of torm before, looks good). Cheers

TiRed

Our champion systems club kit comes in summer white with long sleeves. I wear this to keep the sun off. When short sleeved (racing in blue), I just wear a white compression top from ZXU underneath. Works very well.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Summer long sleeve road jersey’ is closed to new replies.