Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • summer is coming (BBQ content ;-) )
  • oxym0r0n

Our old BBQ is on its last legs. Please recommend me a nice new gas one for less than £200. Thanks

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Weber

End of thread

solarpowered
    Free Member

Gas?… *shakes head in shame* 😉

trout
    Free Member

Dont talk or think about BBQ`s or you will chase away the summer

bricktamland86
    Free Member

A gas bbq is just cooking outdoors, a bbq needs to be coals and fire, no gas lol

leffeboy

yay – the summer bbq bunfight. Have been waiting for this one

oxym0r0n

2 of the world’s greatest BBQ nations would disagree with you brick! 😉

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve just started making mine out of an old 45 gallon oil drum. Charcoal and wood tastes better.

mattsccm
    Free Member

They know nothing. They just think they are good at their version. However its pointless trying to talk to them as you can’t argue with those who are wrong! 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gas bbq’s should be in the back of the cupboard, alongside tassimo, George foreman and bread makers.

eskay

Was astonished to see a charcoal bbq in John Lewis tonight for £675. It was a big green egg (or something similar).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

45 gallon drum cut down the middle resting on a wooden trestle (won’t catch fire, I know cos I’ve done it) Some prison fencing as a grill (easy if you know who/how)
    Cost? Almost free.

bricktamland86
    Free Member

Haha agree with the oil drum technique, maybe its the farm boy in me but growing up it was throw a dead chicken and cow on a fire and ate what came off haha

samuri
    Free Member

I quite fancy getting a gas BBQ this year. Not because I’m some kind of hipster but because it looks like a nice and easy way to cook food outside.

Bite me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Save yerself some cash. Cook it inside, eat in the garden.

grum
    Free Member

Gas BBQs have their place for convenience I suppose but it’s not really a proper BBQ. I guess the ones that have a bit that lets you put wood for smoking in are OK. I can more see the appeal in countries where you can actually hang around outside for significant periods of the year though.

Those Big Green Eggs are meant to be ace BTW – they keep their heat for ages so great for slow cooking/smoking. Lots of fancy restaurants using them apparently.

cozz
    Free Member

a friend ha a big green egg, its amazing, heats up so much, slow cooks and smokes

charcoal bbq’s are great if there are a few of you

but i prefer gas,as otherwise i seem to use £6 of charcoal to cook 2 burgers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Forget the haters and their over smoked food to disguise the fact they can’t cook anything interesting so insist on disguising all flavour with a layer of charcoal (on the food)

Webber Q models are very good, cast iron grill plate and solid. I did bits of Christmas dinner on ours this year. We cook on it weekly during summer, it’s great for doing things that would just make the kitchen stink too. We couldn’t ship our’s out to Oz so left it with my folks who have retired their 45gallon drums and use the webber now.

The UK definition of BBQ seems to be a long involved process of drinking and procrastinating while doing some chest beating about how manly it is that you can light a fire with combustible materials then drink beer to celebrate.

Rest of the world – cooking food

grum
    Free Member

Forget the haters and their over smoked food to disguise the fact they can’t cook anything interesting so insist on disguising all flavour with a layer of charcoal (on the food)

samuri
    Free Member

When you gas BBQ something, the flames touch the food and everything, right? And that’s BBQing something, right? That certainly sounds very different to sticking it in the oven. Burning food. So we either burn it with flames made from gas or flames made from coal, and that’s the difference?

OK, thanks.

grum
    Free Member

This pretty much sums up all the pros and cons – the guy is the biggest BBQ nerd ever (check out http://amazingribs.com if you don’t believe me):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/charcoal-vs-gas-the-defin_b_203818.html

Summary:

Which to buy? I have one of each. Almost all my birds, fish, veggies, pizzas, and breads go on my LP gas grill, almost all my red meats go on my charcoal grill. If you’re starting out, and you want no fuss no muss, go gas. If you can afford it, get an infrared burner and a side burner.

If you’re willing to put in a bit more time to gain mastery of your tool, then go charcoal, and look for one that let’s you raise and lower the coal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ekdHP5]Pig[/url] by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds great there Grum, the best thing about Gas is we fancied some ribs (from the pig we dispatched) so we checked the BBQ on and had ribs, we took it away and cooked bacon on it for breakfast, I do cooked breakie on it in summer these days. It’s quick easy and the food tastes great if you know what you are doing in terms of cooking.

grum
    Free Member

Butchering your own pig scores you 20,000 STW points, but if you can be bothered to do that how come you can’t be bothered to light a fire? 😛

Those ribs don’t look like they’ve been cooked for long enough and look a bit dry, so ner!

As I said – Gas BBQ makes sense in a country where hanging around outside is pleasant for much of the year. In northern England…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thats not the final cooked pic, they were cooked to perfection 🙂

We used the Weber loads in Northern England as if you tried to light a fire the rain & wind would put a stop to it.

maccruiskeen

5 gallon drum cut down the middle

45 gallon drums are fine if you’ve got a lot of people to feed. A steel car rim is more conveniently sized and does’t have the explosion risk when cutting a drum in half, and doesn’t leave you with half an oil drum spare.

A kitchen sink works well too – easy to clean, light weight – the sink bit is a good size and depth and you also get a handy work space on the drainer.

Some prison fencing as a grill (easy if you know who/how)

you get a free BBQ grill and a quite day at work – win win

oxym0r0n

Love the way this goes off-topic after one reply! Gas is much more convenient and tastes great IMHO. We’ve used our last one loads but the burner has rusted and now does not give co even flame, hence looking for a replacement. Might have to save the pennies and go Weber 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘summer is coming (BBQ content ;-) )’ is closed to new replies.