Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Summer in Austria – anyone holidayed there who isn't minted?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Unfortunately we have fallen in love with Austria as the destination for this years family holiday in August. Just to give you a laugh I will share my initial booking cock up.

Found an amazing hotel shared a few emails price looked good, Bob on for our 1.5k accommodation budget. Went to make the final booking and then spotted it was per night 🙁

Anyhoo has anyone done it one a strict budget and managed to find good lodgings? Looking at the Tirol region.

Cheers
    John

iolo
    Free Member

Austria is amazing. It’s really not so expensive if you’re careful, cook yourself.
    I love it so much I’ve got a place in Vienna.
    Try and get an apartment if you can.
    Airbnb is cheapest.

Here’s Innsbruck as an example

https://m.airbnb.co.uk/s/Innsbruck-

bruneep

Bob on for our 1.5k accommodation budget. Went to make the final booking and then spotted it was per night

link ?

🙂

scotroutes

Stayed in Obergurgl years ago (pre Euro). I don’t recall it being horrendously expensive for the hotel but it was a walking holiday so we had little other expense.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Just for you bruneep linky

isto
    Free Member

We are just back from a snowboarding holiday in Austria and found it very reasonable. Although this might just be specific to ski resorts/holidays we found it less expensive to the trips we usually do to France.

We were in a nice hotel in Zell Am See so not maybe very useful to you….just thought I would share.

Selled
    Free Member

I live here…in the Tirol. Tell me what you are looking for and I will give you some examples. Accommodation does not need to be expensive.

Example.. I know it’s not a hotel but if I was coming here I would stay in one of these…

http://www.reither-almen.at

alpin
    Free Member

Where /doing what and with whom?

Austria can be cheap, just depends how you do it.

Trans -Austria bike ride? Wild camping?

dknwhy

I’ve booked an apartment for 4 of us for £950 for 2 weeks in Saalbach. Includes Joker card for lift passes.

birky
    Free Member

Yes been going to Austria every year since 2001 mostly on my motorbike but also by car (own car by ferry and also fly/hire). Usually stay in pensions and b&bs, always high standard and great value. Love it 😀

johnj2000
    Free Member

This all sound very positive thanks chaps. Will look at all the links and post back some questions, if you can be arsed to answer them that would be great, if you are going out to the pub then don’t let me hold you back 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Alpin – we are looking for a bit of activity, walking, cycling, wild swimming. But we also need to consider the two children and the possibility they could find some friends to occupy them for some child time. That was why the hotel options was favourable as there is likely to be a fair few families poolside.

iolo
    Free Member
    johnj2000
    Free Member

Selled, that looks awesome, really beautiful price is a tad outside of budget for 12 nights unfortunately as we will hit high season.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have you considered a camping? Or camping chalets? A lot of the campsites are exceptionally well kitted out. We went winter camping over Xmas for the first time to Zillertal and the campsite had a, massive indoor pool,indoor kids play ground with cinema, roofed skate park and even a nursery ski piste! In the summer they have non stop kids entertainment and a bathing lake. And we have stayed at 3 campsites in Zillertal alone with similar facilities.

ElShalimo

I spent several weeks in Austria in a campervan last year. If you think camping is more suited to your budget drop me an email, we stayed in some lovely camp sites
    Happy planning!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Hoping to do it for between 1.5k and 2k for 12-14 nights. Trying to persuade my wife that a 1k short term loan just to help us along would be a good idea. It looks awesome, not sure how it’s kept off the radar for so long.

Camping would be a possibility but had a few iffy experiences in France with cabins crammed together. We are a bunch of introverts so like our privacy 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

There is no comparison to campsites in Austria to France. It really is another world.

ElShalimo

Lots of sites rent caravans or cabins
    The sites are of a very high standard compared to UK sites

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks for the link iolo, just having a look

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ok so the boss is loving the look of the place in selled’s link. Anyone have any preferred routes to drive? Euro tunnel? Ferry? We are based in Portsmouth.

cheers_drive

Just got back from skiing in the and thefood Tirol and drink was comparable or less than uk prices and nearly half that of skiing in France. If anything it should be less in the summer.
    As a recommendation of location try Alpbach which is supposed to be the prettiest village in Austria

martinhutch

We stayed in Alpbach a couple of years back. Rented an apartment, not too dear, got lift passes thrown in as a sweetener as it was outside the winter season.

Lots of nice pools, rivers, walking and biking (not that I got the chance). Lovely place.

mick_r

Alpbach is nice – Franz Larch is the local mtb guide so we stayed at his place (they have nice family appartments in their Chalet with self catering kitchens etc). Free lift pass and some kids play stuff at top of local lifts.

Alpbach gets busy with the congress one week in August (we clashed with this a bit – probably nicer to avoid it if possible).

MTB is OK but not epic (some of the singletrack not 100% legal so need to be diplomatic)

Hexenwasser at Sol also good for kids ( 45 mins drive).

http://www.gaestehaus-larch.at/

Someone on here also recommended a chalet complex at Reith but can’t remember it’s name.

johnj2000
    Free Member

No rooms at the inn for the dates we need Mick_r. Looked good as well, wasn’t even slightly swayed by the mtb guide 🙂

shorn
    Free Member

Stayed here near Obertraun last year. Very beautiful area, lots of cycling on easy tracks for the kids, has a swimming area by the lake, ice cave, salt mine, great walking and some lovely restaurants.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Here is a link to the campsite we satyed in Zillertal. Get your wife to have a look and you’ll soon see the standard of the facilities and with children it realy is the best environment to make friends. Plus Mayerhofen is about twenty minutes up the road by bike where there are a number of MTB trails which are signposted.Camping site

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks shorn, have sent them an email.

dknwhy

We always do the tunnel. It’s just more convenient and flexible.

If heading to Germany or Austria, I choose a route that stays away from French tolls. Can save a fair amount of money. Use via Michelin to check your route.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per other posters accommodation need not be expensive however with a family needing two rooms and for 12 nights I think you need to look at self catered chalets/apartments or a 2/3 star hotel as your budget is £70 a room a night. As for driving yes via Germany, you might consider a stop over as IME it’s a 12-13 hr drive esp with a bit of traffic. Sounds daft but Portsmouth to Channel tunnel probably best crossing as boats are slow and take you too far West.

dudeofdoom

Love the look of the chalets so show to Mrs DoD who says it’s cold I’m not going there 🙁

iolo
    Free Member

If I was going on holiday in Austria I would go to Hallstaat.
    Nowhere near Tyrol but an amazing place. The mountain biking is pretty decent around there too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Selled, I think you’ve chosen our holiday for us this year, thanks fella!.

johnj2000
    Free Member

OK the hotel is chosen, well either here, Hotel Seerose or Selled’s link if we choose to go self catering.

Now the issue is where to stay en route. Can’t find a bloody family room(4) for a decent price near Frankfurt which is about half way. Plenty of 2 room options in crappy places mind 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll be flying from edi to Munich, try n snaffle a few days there too.

Selled
    Free Member

Small world, my home village is Wickham near Portsmouth.

Also, Mick mentioned Franz Larch, he is a buddy of mine.

So, if you do stay at Reither Almen, you also get the lift passes thrown in, the passes give you access to nearly every tourist attraction eg Lakes, pools, etc.

It you are interested and I am not on holiday, I know just about every rock and root in this area. Don’t be put off by Mick’s comments, the MTB ing is fantastic, I know plenty of great trails and would gladly show you a few (no uplifts though).

As for driving. Don’t mess about, leave early in the morning, get the tunnel over, then Brussels, Achen, Colognbe, Ffurt, Nuremberg, Munich Austria, arrive in the evening.

orangex12012
    Free Member

Try Holiday inn Frankfurt or Munich they usually have a room with two double beds. And possibly a swimming pool and sauna ect. Try avoid traveling on a Saturday near Munich due to high traffic volumes .Driven to alpbach twice flown to munich and hired a car twice. Flown to Munich and caught the train to worgl /jenbach. On to haus hislop (near frans larch )

RoterStern
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother stopping overnight near Munich. You are only an hour and a half away from your destination. Munich to the Austrian border is always a bottle neck, too. So better hit either very early or late.

mick_r

Selled – the mtb and general area was great and we plan to stay again with Franz and his fantastic family / chalet sometime, just the singletrack always felt like we were naughty children trying not to get told off 🙂 Say hi to Franz for me – I was the guy with the home made 29er.

I just get fed up with tourist offices trying to sell places as mtb venues when the reality is they’d rather you ride mtb waymarked fire roads (or even tarmac in the case of some bits of Switzerland). Alpbach is much better than that, but I really like the Graubunden attitude of everyone 100% welcome on any trail – just show respect for each other.

We are up north so tend to travel Hull-Rotterdam and then down through Germany. Tunnel would be shorter but we still find it a bit far for slow van and kids in a day. We sometimes break the journey at Speyer south of Frankfurt – there is an amazing technical museum (kids can clamber about a Russian submarine, Jumbo Jet, Buran space shuttle) and an on-site hotel.

http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en

johnj2000
    Free Member

Even smaller word Selled, I am 4 miles from Wickham in Fareham 😀

I am now in a quandry, I have been going through all my loyalty cards to see if I had any points worth using for hotels and stumbled across my BA Card. Turns out i can book a family room for 44 quid in Frankfurt, problem is that it doesn’t say anywhere whether you need to use it in conjunction with a BA flight.Nervous to book in case I get rumbled.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Summer in Austria – anyone holidayed there who isn't minted?’ is closed to new replies.