Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Summer holiday planning – advice please
  • Pz_Steve

Christmas Eve seems like a good day to start thinking about a summer holiday…

We’re an active couple who would normally be up for a week’s walking, cycle touring, camping, etc. Next year, though, will be our first summer holiday away with our lad. We’ll probably be going in September which means he’ll be 17 months old.

We’ve got a Thule Chariot (which he already loves going in for jaunts) and a rucksack carrier thing, but I’m not sure how long he’ll want to be in either by then? I’m assuming that once he’s walking he’ll find long periods in either frustrating, but I really don’t have a clue!

Does anyone have experience of holidays with a similar age child? Any advice, things to try, or things to avoid? And any suggestions for where to go and what to do would be great, too.

Almost certainly looking at UK, and I’m guessing self-catering would be the way to go.

Thanks for any help – and happy Christmas one and all!

ampthill

It isn’t any easy age to plan a thrilling holiday around. But we still had lots of fun. At almost exactly that age we went to sweden self catering in wooden lodges on holiday parks and did walks with him in back pack and bike rides with him in a seat on the rack.

In UK terms I’d be looking for accommodation which is in a scenic place. That way if you don’t get far you still get the views. A wet weather option like a pool is good as is local walks, low traffic rides and some where to eat out. That for us usually meant Elterwater in lakes. Using the Elterwater Time Share Pool for wet days. (We went with others and rented a Cottage called st Giles which comes with leisure passes but it too big for 3). But this set up could be found in loads of places.

Pz_Steve

Thanks for the suggestions – really helpful. I like the idea of being close to a pool as he loves swimming, and as you say something to do if/when the weather is poor would be wise. Elterwater looks great – I’ll google for similar set-ups around the country.

Thanks again!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you thought about West Cornwall?
    I can recommend it. We go every year.

The Minack Theatre is Spectacular and you should also visit the Telegraph Museum at Porthcurno whilst you’re there. The staff are really nice.

Hope this helps. 😉

Pz_Steve

Sound advice as always, Perchy. Sound advice….

wallop

😆

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Summer holiday planning – advice please’ is closed to new replies.