Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Sukiyaki (Japanese cuisine)
  • torihada
    Free Member

Niche post of the year probably:

If anyone out there is in to Sukiyaki, Shabu shabu or Yakiniku (Japanese dishes, which involve cooking wafer thin cuts of beef & pork and or vegetables in either soup broth, water or frying, on a hot plate/grill/nabe usually in the middle of the table).

I found in SE London/Croydon a Butchers that will prepare the specific cuts of meat. We had Sukiyaki last night using Sukiyaki cuts of sirloin. Delicious. Better cuts of meet than we get from the Japanese supermarkets in central London. They will also deliver. They’re called Willetts Butchers in Carshalton Beeches, SW of Croydon. I have no affiliation with them, but I was so impressed with their product & service I had to share.

Mmm, its buta shogayaki for lunch. mmmm drool

chewkw
    Free Member

Cooked properly? No tapeworm?

torihada
    Free Member

Ahh the tapeworm’s the bonus: slim while you eat while you eat, or maybe not: parasitic slimming aid

Your biggest issue with sukiyaki is over cooking the meat: the dish in the middle of the table is on a gas burner, boiling away. You may not like the next bit: with your chopsticks you take the slice of beef or pork straight out of the cooking dish or nabe and dip it raw egg and eat. Oishii!

cheers_drive

I’ve had it a couple of times in Tokyo, it seams to be the meal of choice for an evening business meeting, maybe because it it quite social. The raw chicken strips put me off a bit as we are so programmed in the UK that undercooked chicken + salmonella. Skimming the scum off of the water vat for meat isn’t so appealing either.

Fat-boy-fat

Love sukiyaki. I’ve never found a UK based restaurant that does it anywhere near right. Originally had it in Imari City in Japan and it was lush.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Sukiyaki (Japanese cuisine)’ is closed to new replies.