Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Suits for job interviews
  • Pieface

Classic or ‘Faux tailored’ look?

I know there’s more to the interview than the suit but not bought one for ages.

Fancy a M&S sartorial ‘tailored’ suit, but should I consider something more traditional?

Really fancy a Paul Smith suit but not sure if thats OTT

palmer77
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with TM Lewin

5AM
    Free Member

Aquascutum gets my vote everytime.

Chew
    Free Member

What you wear just creates a first impression. Yes you want to impress but you just want to be yourself, so just go for what you feel most comfortable with.

yossarian
    Free Member

The shinier the better.

Perhaps sprinkle a little glitter in your hair also

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t wear a classier suit than the interviewer. As said above, glitter is good.
    And here’s a couple of vids if you have any other problems on the big day.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWL1md7Dv4[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T6xBfq77hg&feature=related[/video]
    😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t wear a classier suit than the interviewer.

Not sure how you can manage that – and what if you are being interviewed by several people, or a panel?

Get a classic suit – it will last better.

I wasn’t sure about the quality of cut of TM Lewin stuff when I tried it.

I bought an M&S suit once as everyone seemed to say they were good – the lining started falling out pretty soon after and the store assistents response was that pure new wool suits weren’t designed for wearing everyday!

donsimon
    Free Member

Not sure how you can manage that – and what if you are being interviewed by several people, or a panel?

I guess I’d have to fail you on the initiative test then. 😉
    How many interviewers are going to be spending 700 quid on a Paul Smith suit?

BigJohn

I don’t know if it’s just my prejudice or what, but…

…contrasting stitching on the collar buttonhole says “I’m a ****”.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Turner Guy + 1

recent M&S stuff seems crap – shirts are even worse than their suits.

tommid
    Free Member

When interviewing and being interviewed, I think a smart suit, not to flash, not some stupid shiny TopMan job, with thin lapels, just a plain blue, black or grey suit with plain shirt and tie. Nothing to bold, no cartoon ties or bright colours. Your shoes should be black leather and polished.
    Will you be wearing the suit for work? If not then an M&S job will see you through the interview.

samuri
    Free Member

If someone turned up for an interview I was holding in a beautifully tailored suit I’d be reluctant to hire them. I need someone who can do stuff, not look good.

So I guess you should think about what the job is for, is it one where you need to look good, or work hard?

wallop

If someone turned up for an interview I was holding in a beautifully tailored suit I’d be reluctant to hire them. I need someone who can do stuff, not look good.

Eh!? So the fact that they take some pride in their appearance means they can’t do the job!?

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

samuri
    Free Member

Eh!? So the fact that they take some pride in their appearance means they can’t do the job!?

Yep. I work in IT security.

TooTall
    Free Member

Try on a few different cuts / makes. Most of them won’t suit your body type, so try a few different ones. Try them on with someone there with you. Try them on with a proper shirt (not a t-shirt) and shoes, not trainers. Make sure the sleeves are long enough and it is broad enough across the shoulders.

BillMC

I sent a Lewin suit back, a very poor piece of work.
    I go for Austin Reed suits but any good suit will be ruined by crap shoes etc. Get some good English brogues, all cotton white shirt and a silk tie.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How many interviewers are going to be spending 700 quid on a Paul Smith suit?

what if you are interviewing at an investment bank?

But a traditionally cut suit would be better, which you may be able to keep as your interview suit for the future, anything non-traditional is unlikely to age well.

Austin Reed is a good suggestion, and I found a Boss suit that was very traditionally cut.

Black shoes, not brown – and clean.

My M&S suit that fell apart was from 20+ years ago! It did give good service for about a week and half though…

geoffj

samuri – Member

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Key chains and comedy ties?

headfirst
    Free Member

Wear a cravat. That way it won’t matter what suit you wear as they won’t be looking at that.

donsimon
    Free Member

what if you are interviewing at an investment bank?

I think you would know that before the interview and the general remark about not wearing a classier suit than the interviewer would still apply. As the OP has come to STW asking for advice, I’ll take a stab here and suggest that he/she isn’t an investment banker, what do you think?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

palmer77 – Member
    Can’t go wrong with TM Lewin

Unless they don’t fit. Or as others have said, they are utter shite.

M&S are the high street choice. Great value, well made stuff.

Failing that, depends slightly on budget and build. I use Roderick Charles, on Jermyn St, as they make superb value suits for my shape. Nice place to shop, too.

souldrummer
    Free Member

….and if you are wearing cufflinks don’t wear ones that you just push through and click over; sometimes known as bayonet fitting. Read somewhere that they are looked down on in certain quarters.

KT1973
    Free Member

Really fancy a Paul Smith suit but not sure if thats OTT

Got a couple of Paul Smith suits. They are off the peg ones but not OTT at all. I’ll have to lose some weight so I can wear them again!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

souldrummer, not sure where you heard that. Nothing wrong with that sort of cufflink, IME, but having sleeves too long/short is a bad thing.

Turk’s Head cufflinks are a very nice way of wearing something to complement your shirt/tie and are cheap too.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

The slimmer cut ‘Chelsea’ range at Austen Reed are very good and approx £300 apiece.

djglover
    Free Member

I have one PS suite that I got from one of the outlets about 10 years ago. Its a classic cut and cost me about £250. Its the best suite I’ve ever owner including M&S, other high street crap and a couple of tailored ones. It gets used for interviews and weddings as I don’t wear a suit for work anymore. If I was in the market for a nice suit then I wouldn’t hesitate to head straight for the PS outlet shop with £300 quid or so.

igm

M&S = court appearance

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

igm – Member

M&S = court appearance

You’re clearly unfamiliar with the world of British criminal justice!

Lifestyle criminals, that is to say low level types who take up the majority of the courts’ time wear whatever they like. Those that do wear suits used to favour the likes of Burton and Next. But, now that the likes of ASDA are selling garments that purport to be suits, they’ve taken over as tailors to the criminal fraternity. I see the same £30 effort again and again…boxy, no vents, you know the score.

M&S suits are pretty decent, especially the £200 plus range. They’re not Saville Row standard, but then you wouldn’t complain that your new VW Golf wasn’t a Rolls Royce.

br
    Free Member

Based upon guys who’ve worked for me in this area, you need the ‘clean T-shirt but obviously lives with his mum’ type.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Just make sure it fits, much better to buy a cheaper M&S suit and take it to a tailor to fix the arm length, back, and pants, than to buy a branded suite that doesn’t fit.

chakaping
    Free Member

I went to M&S when I needed a nice pair of trousers that day recently and was very impressed with the style and quality of a lot of their suits.

OK, the style bit might be because I’m almost middle aged now – but they definitely use some nice fabrics and put them together all right.

Pieface

Thanks for the advice.

Taking the PS suit example again, I guess a classic as opposed to slim fit would be better. But If the job were £35k a year, is spending £350 silly, or about right?

enfht
    Free Member

A gimp suit is the nearest match for most jobs

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

If you can only afford one suit then get two pairs of pants with it, as these wear out a lot quicker than jackets will, and will therefore return far great value for money over time.

Yearly salary has little to do with how much a suit should cost. Most people on hear are students with 3K bikes 😀

If you’re working in an environment where a suit is required then at a minimum you’ll need 3 to rotate, and that’s without getting into summer and winter weight cloths.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

uwe-r
    Free Member

The fit is the most important.

I wear suits 5 days a week and therefore i wear them out quickly, nothing worse than a tired looking suit. I get one every year in the sales and keep 2/3 on the go. I spend £150 – £200 in the sales on mine. The last one being a Paul Smith at £150ish.

Go for a shop with the full range of styles sizes and will let you buy bits separately – Debehams is good for this.

And + 1 for what TSC said re trousers.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Get a fully tailored suit. Spend as much as you can afford. Failing that, buy an off the shelf suit and have it tailored, a surprisingly inexpensive way of getting a suit that fits well. A good suit should be treated as an investment, feeling confident with your appearance helps immensely when interviewing.

Charcoal suit, white shirt, red tie, black shoes is all you really need to know, follow this mantra and you will be guaranteed to look good; you can then forget about the suit and concentrate on the interview.

If you want to get really suit-faggy read THIS thread, it goes into intricate detail.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Suits for job interviews’ is closed to new replies.