Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Suitable Fork for my Kona Stinky
  • flowerman
    Free Member

Hi

I have a 2003 Kona Stinky and I would like to upgrade the forks, it currently has some marzocchi z1s. I was thinking about something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rockshox-domain-r-forks-/280936385181?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item41691d0a9d#ht_500wt_1301

Also what is a tapered steerer?

Thank you

Henry

rocketman
    Free Member

Fairly safe bet for a Stinky although they do of course weigh a ton.

Domains essentially have the internals of the previous model Boxxer/Totem but in a heavier (aka cheaper) chassis. The Rs tend to be overwhelmed by successive hits and the weight makes the front end dive when airborne but on a Stinky they’ll feel fairly well balanced. Might also want to look at DC Domains they are possible the heaviest forks in the world but they are immensely stiff.

Tapered steerer gives more strength at the crown but still allows normal 1 1/8″ stems to be used. Your Stinky needs a 1.5″ headtube and a suitable headset if you don’t already have one.

chakaping
    Free Member

I very much doubt your 2003 Kona will have a 1.5 or tapered headtube

Happy to be corrected though

Domains are a good choice, try to get one with motion control damping (318?)

flowerman
    Free Member

Ok Thanks, So at the moment I have a 1.5″ head tube and a 1 1/8″ headset (Which is pretty worn anyway) Would that fit those forks in the link?

Thanks Again

rocketman
    Free Member

As above mildly surprised your 03 Stinky has a 1.5″ headtube but then again my mate has one and I’ve never really noticed.

If it has got a 1.5″ headtube them your headset will be 1 1/8″ with reducers to accomodate the straight 1 1/8″ steerer on your Z1s

You will need a different lower headset cup to fit the 1.5″ tapered steerer on the Domains.

flowerman
    Free Member

Ok so a tapered steerer is basically from what I can see in the pictures a steerer which it fatter at the bottom and is thinner at the top meaning I have to have a different headset to accompany this. So that its 1.5″ at the bottom and 1 1/8″ at the top?

Many Thanks

kimbers

2003 stinky doesnt have a 1.5 headtube
    it has a 1 & 1/8th

the forks wont fit

qtip

Second the above, there’s no way the 2003 Kona Stinky has a 1.5″ headtube.

fd3chris
    Free Member

But your description of a tapered steerer is correct .

flowerman
    Free Member

Hmm Ok please could you recommend me some forks please?

Cheers

fd3chris
    Free Member

1 18th normal steerer domains with motion control would be a good choice in my opinion , they are weighty but are solid, stanchions don’t scratch easily and are very reliable .

flowerman
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71210 So something like this? Or some 302s?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I personally like Domains and if that’s the best price you can find that fork at then I think it’s a good choice . Have a good search in the net for that fork and see the prices , CRC are good but not always the cheapest .

fd3chris
    Free Member

After looking at the rear wheel travel you should stick roughly to the 5 inch or 140mm area for forks as those 180mm domains will be too much

flowerman
    Free Member

Ok thanks for you input. I have found these Rock Shox Domain 318’s cheap with slightly less travel

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/rockshox-2009-domain-318-is-coil-u-turn-115-160mm-1

Are these ok?

Cheers

nick1962
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the Z1’s? They are a great fork
    If by upgrade you mean more travel then be aware you will upset the geometry of your bike and potentially put the headtube under forces it wasn’t designed to take.You can get away with 10mm travel no problem and possibly 20mm but I would be wary of going beyond that but that’s your choice.
    The Domain fork in your link is a good solid fork at a good price and the varying travel makes it flexible too for uphills and adapting to the travel of your current frame and any frames you may go for in the future.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Woah There!

Some not great advice here folks!

1. DO NOT put a 180 or 160 mm fork in this frame – it won’t be rated for it and it could be very dangerous. Stick to 140mm and below

2. Check your wheels, I suspect you’ll have a 9mm QR hub on there and buying a fork with a through axle will mean a new hub/wheel (that said a new set of wheels would prob do as much for the bike as new forks)

3. Get your headset replaced when you buy the new forks (Get your LBS to do this – but don’t ask them to fit the fork, they’ll likely be offended if you bought it online!)

4. If you’re not sure about cutting down the steere etc get advice on here first.

CRC or Merlin or JE James etc normally have good buys, I reckon a RS revelation or sektor/MZ44 would suit the job pretty well.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 on forks – I had a 2001-vintage Stinky and ran 150mm Boxxers on it which slacked it out way too much.
    Pikes/Revs/Sektors are the go if the Z1s are borked. Maybe just get the Z1s serviced as they are awesome forks IMHO

fd3chris
    Free Member

The fork you’ve found is a good fork if used at around 140mm on your frame so long as your front wheel is a 20mm bolt through and you make sure you get the 1 18th steerer tube version that they are offering .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Suitable Fork for my Kona Stinky’ is closed to new replies.