Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Suit jackets for broad shoulders
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Apparently I’ve got broad shoulders and a narrow waist. Essentially I am the classic triangle. I tend to wear a 40″ suit jacket but 30″ trousers. I have never been able to find a suit jacket that comes close to fitting. They fit over the shoulders but gape at the sides. I’ve tried having three jackets altered, two by a very expensive tailor and one by Moss Bros in Norwich. Moss Bros fit was OK, but the tailors were rubbish. I always end up with the jacket billowing up on the chest or being ruffled between the shoulders.

Does anyone know of a brand that fits triangular shaped men? A friend said she’d heard of brand that rowers tend to wear, but she couldn’t remember the name and google isn’t working.

I cannot afford bespoke tailoring.

righog
    Free Member

Well not the best suits, but M & S sell there jackets and trousers seperatly.

I am wide and short they have helped me a few times.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Most people seem to do the jackets and trousers separately. I’m having trouble with the fit of the jacket itself. I rarely wear the trousers anyway, much prefer jeans.

spacecadett
    Free Member

I have similar measurements & buy my suits from Jaegar.

righog
    Free Member

Sorry likesbeer 😳

I re read your post.

As my wife say fitting for me means that it covers all the bits of my body and is not too tight.

I am 44″ across the shoulders and 32 waist, and to be fair most of my jackets hang like a sheet.

However to try and answer your Q’ I do have a DKNY suit which fits across the shoulders and is not billowing at the waist.

garage-dweller

See if Blazer do any tapered fit suits. I like their tapered shirts. Am overall bigger than you but I need a big collar (17.5″) and shoulders but dont have the gut to match. Many other shirts have the symptoms you describe for my neck size.

stumpy01

I’ve got fairly broad shoulders & went for a French Connection suit from Moss Bros a while back. Tried on a few including a very nice Ted Baker suit that just didn’t fit me very well. As is often the way, the French Connection suit was the first one I tried on & the one I ended up going back to.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Try Nicole Farhi. I have similar problems to you being a 38/40 jacket but a 29/30 waist, even if you can get separate trousers instead of the 32 they expect to fit the 30 is usually too big. whereas the Farhi 30 is smaller and fits properly and the jackets are cut for slim people who still have their own shoulders.

meesterbond

Go to a decent tailor, buy a jacket that fits on the shoulders and then pay them to nip the sides in so it looks properly fitted.

Personally, I’ve been using Copperfields in the City for years – suits are about £300 depending on how many you buy / the discount you can negotiate plus allow £50 a suit for alterations.

unsponsored
    Free Member

M&S Autograph. Not too boxy as they taper a little.

MrOvershoot

Although I’m a fair bit bigger my ratio is even worse 50″ chest 36″ waist!

Not helping is I have a very long torso & arms so mostly look like a badly shaved gibbon in a suit 🙁

bensales
    Free Member

Similar but opposite problem for me. Sorted by TM Lewin.

I’m a 32 waist and 40 jacket for the shoulders. But thanks to being a runner and a cyclist, I’ve built heavily built thighs, and a slim upper body. Can’t even get a 32 waist trouser up my legs. So they sorted out a 35in waist trouser, and a 40 jacket. Had their in-house tailor bring the waist in on the trousers, and taper the jacket for only 19 quid over the price of the suit.

Picked it up this morning and it’s a perfect fit.

Oh, and the best bit, because it’s their tailor who does the alterations, it’s all regarded as part of the suit, so any problems with stitching, fit, etc, they sort it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Suit jackets for broad shoulders’ is closed to new replies.