Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Suit at work wearers – opinions ?
  • iainc

office attire is business suit, which is fine and has always been the case, but continual dry cleaning bills does get me wondering about decent M&S type trousers and a jacket. Trousers would be machine washable.

So is this smartly acceptable or the sign of a late 40’s decline into TopGear Clarkson style ? 😛

rene59
    Free Member

Perfectly acceptable, unless you work for a bunch of twunts who think it isn’t. In that case I would be looking for a change of job as well as attire.

willard

To be fair, if I wa forced to wear a suit all day, every day, I’d be tempted to do that same sort of thing. There’s no way that I would want to ruin a decent suit with constant cleaning.

peterfile
    Free Member

How often are you cleaning your suits and why?

You shouldn’t do it (nor does it need it) very often.

If you wearing a suit no more than once per week, it will only need done twice a year max if you look after it.

iainc

not fussed about wearing suit as it’s routine and accepted. Peter, yeah, 2 or 3 suits, each cleaned 2 or 3 times PA. They were all in the cleaners when I was on summer hols, so the £50 bill got me thinking 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cast your net a bit further, there are machine washable suits that don’t make you look too special. (I hope they don’t anyway cos I’m wearing a next one).

blurty

If your wear shorts whilst using a urinal it makes you realise why you need to dry clean suit trousers more than ‘ a couple of times per year’.

peterfile
    Free Member

Yeah, it does work out quite pricey even just a few times a year. I used to wait for a deal at the local place and then stick them all in.

We recently had a chat about dress code in my office and decided that suits are no longer required. I don’t mind wearing a suit, but I’m not exaggerating when i say that being able to wear casual trousers and shirt has completely changed work for me (both in terms of comfort and financially).

If your wear shorts whilst using a urinal it makes you realise why you need to dry clean suit trousers more than ‘ a couple of times per year’.

Tell that to the experts.

Your suit will look like carp very quickly after regular dry cleaning. So you’re be free of all those nasty wee wee germs, but you’ll look like shit 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

No…

It just makes you realise how much piss you get on your trousers. There is no obligation to clean the piss off and I suspect it’s not really doing that much harm, if any.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Makes you smell abit of piss though.

footflaps

It just makes you realise how much piss you get on your trousers.

That’s nothing, I’ve woken up to find vomit all down my suit trousers and shoes, no idea how it got there, but it was a good night out….

jp-t853

I find my suit trousers go in a cool delicate wash with no issues including sports wool M&S ones. Also when I had more money than sense I had a wool Aquascutum suit which in it’s last days I used to wash the trousers with no ill effects.

I tend to buy my M&S suits from Gretna (as I live in Cumbria and work one day a week in Grangemouth) so typically only pay £20-40 for a suit. As such it does not feel like a risk but as said they have always been fine.

TooTall
    Free Member

If you work out how much it would cost for laundering (your electricity, your detergent, your machine wear and tear, your time for ironing etc) then your current price probably isn’t too bad for dry cleaning.
    Some cleaners have memberships available and it really drops the price.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I buy one suit jacket and multiple pairs of trousers, M&S are quite good for this. The jacket is rarely worn (only for client meetings) and lives in the office. Trousers are cheaper to clean.

andyl
    Free Member

^ this (spare trousers). If I had to wear suits every day I would buy a couple of suits and a couple of spare pairs of trousers for each then just get them dry cleaned in groups to take advantage of the discounts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If your wear shorts whilst using a urinal it makes you realise why you need to dry clean suit trousers more than ‘ a couple of times per year’.”

is it a urinal or a bucket ? i pretty much live in shorts and flip flops when outside work and i cant remember geting wet feet or legs …

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rene59 – Member
    Perfectly acceptable, unless you work for a bunch of twunts who think it isn’t. In that case I would be looking for a change of job as well as attire.

Amazed it took that long for the usual whining to start.

Junkyard
    Free Member

have you asked the mans man servant what he recommends then Cpt?

If I had to wear a suit, I’d start looking for another job 😉

olddog

You can get pretty good (and much better than they used to be) washable wool-mix trousers from M&S, Next etc. In some cases they are part of a suit and can get Jacket as well.

The trousers wash fine – never owned the jacket so can’t say whether they are equally as washable.

They are not quite as smart as my proper (and not at all cheap) suits – but you would have to be getting pretty close to notice.

Get good shoes though…

jambourgie
    Free Member

is it a urinal or a bucket ? i pretty much live in shorts and flip flops when outside work and i cant remember geting wet feet or legs …

During the recent heatwave I went out to a gig in said attire. Standing in half an inch of piss in the bogs was an experience I never want to go through again.

iainc

a lunchtime wander to M&S and indeed, some smart blue wool mix 30 deg washable trousers to be had, paired up with a claasic checked jacket and I’ll be sorted. Less dry cleaning = more bike parts – reckon the missus will go for that ? 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Oh look, one of the aforementioned twunts.

It’s OK. Your mass-produced t-shirt, mass-produced jeans and mass-produced trainers make you look like an individual 😉

soops
    Free Member

Debenhams do a wool mix machine washable suit. The trousers are £45 and jacket £65. £99 if bought together. The Thomas Nash shirts are OK as well.

Rubber_Buccaneer

mass-produced jeans

My jeans may be mass produced but the stains are all my own 🙂

I’m loving dress down ’till the end of August (except when those pesky clients are visiting)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Suit at work wearers – opinions ?’ is closed to new replies.