Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Suing eBay seller
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

larrydavid
    … ‰ …

That symbol hurts my brain.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Al, what’s your eBay username? I’d like to add you to my ebay block list.

Andy

Sometimes you have to just write these things off unless the value is huge.

Also just to add – I have bought off Al through ebay and he was excellent. Item as described and sent first class to arrive day after purchase when I messaged him to ask if could be posted quickly 😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

Even for a latent fault?

Who on earth uses the phrase “latent fault”? You sound like you’re trying to use legalspeak it’s making you sound like a bit of a plonker. 😉

Even if there was a fault with the item or it was mis described you had the chance to check it when you collected it. Makes no different who collected on your behalf.

I’ll ask again, have you provided feedback?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Newrobdob, I’ll save al the trouble..

cynic-al

Apologies – “latent” isn’t the right word – the listing at least implied the 2 issues weren’t present.
    NRD – no feedback, never give that until all is OK!

snaps
    Free Member

He’s been on mine since this

Merak

Do any of these beefs relate to a motor vehicle purchased through eBay?

cynic-al
    Free Member

snaps – Member

He’s been on mine since this
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO #

Wow, some of you lot have long memories and a lot of free time eh!..must have taken a while to work out my username…unless you haven’t actually blocked me?

Up to you, 800 feedback and about 5 negative/neutral in 25+ years.

newrobdob – Member
    Who on earth uses the phrase “latent fault”? You sound like you’re trying to use legalspeak it’s making you sound like a bit of a plonker.

ISTR a legal phrase like that…is “latent” a fancy word or something? Anyway the fault relates to a seized part – that part being known for jamming and taking some effort to remove (as opposed to seizing). It’s only 1 of 2 misdescriptions that he has accepted anyway.

Merak – Member
    Do any of these beefs relate to a motor vehicle purchased through eBay?

Not really…one sale (16 month old) relates to the fault with the car bought via a eBay classifieds ad, but I don’t think we did the sale through eBay as I inspected it and paid cash rather than bid, in fact I don’t think it was even possible to bid? (and if nrd is correct then I had the chance to inspect it so there is no law in existence to protect me 😆 )

The value of these transactions is not huge but big enough for me to make a wee bit of effort in raising claims if I can – I just don’t like taking this crap lying down.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Up to you, 800 feedback and about 5 negative/neutral in 25+ years.

Being as it started in the UK in 1999 (18 years ago maths fans) that’s quite an achievement. Are you the founder of eBay or something?

Feedback 612, 14 years, zero negs for me, in case you were wondering. 5 issues is quite a few, and it doesn’t show any sellers who were unhappy with you as a seller can’t leave a neg.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Newrobdob, I’ll save al the trouble..

Thanks, missed that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL rob…flame my stats and flame me for bragging about them then do the same yourself? (25 was a typo FWIW but hang on to those Big Hitter points!)

I don’t bend over for buyers, I’m ok with the 5 negs…which of course you know nothing whatsoever about (and sellers could leave negs for many yaers BTW).

Thanks for your worthwhile input on that post though.

JackHammer

Come on man, you can’t ask for vague legal advise, then get annoyed because the advice given is also vague.

Also we need a good follow up to the LingGate.

cynic-al
    Free Member

JackHammer – Member

Come on man, you can’t ask for vague legal advise, then get annoyed because the advice given is also vague.

Me:

They say they will release the names when asked by “the authorities” which I suspect is utter BS, as the courts will tell me to find the name.

Im not sure if I can sue with a 1st name and address only (pretty sure I can’t sue under trading name alone).

Any ideas?

What’s vague about that?

I got annoyed because of requests for irrelevant information and incorrect advice – there has been some helpful advice for which I am grateful.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve missed something, but wouldn’t the advice you need depend on the nature of the seller, the timing of the purchase and the opportunity to inspect the items?
    Vehicle sales by traders are a different kettle of fish to second hand bike bits surely?

newrobdob
    Free Member

I think maybe you need to step away from eBay for a while and have a lie down. It’s clearly too much for you. 😉

newrobdob
    Free Member

Thanks for your worthwhile input on that post though.

No problem, anytime. Glad I could help. 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve missed something, but wouldn’t the advice you need depend on the nature of the seller, the timing of the purchase and the opportunity to inspect the items?
    Vehicle sales by traders are a different kettle of fish to second hand bike bits surely?

Such impertinence! How very dare you ask for more information!

cynic-al
    Free Member

twicewithchips – Member

None of these factors relate to the questionI asked.

Rob – atcha 🙄 with a 😆 for good measure

twicewithchips
    Free Member

None of these factors relate to the questionI asked.

In that case I’m not sure I understand what you are asking.

If the question is ‘how do I get ebay to tell me these details’ rather than, ‘what recourse might I have in this situation’ then other than searching for the user/item in your ebay history I’m not sure what other options you have.

Of course, if the info isn’t there (e.g. for a private seller, not a merchant), perhaps the seller hasn’t told ebay all the details. By extension, its not clear to me that you’d have any recourse for second hand private sales, hence questions about the merits of chasing a low value item (your threshold might well be different to mine, note ‘value’ not ‘cost’, etc).

I realise you might not want to share all the details, but a little more might make it easier to help you. I am trying to help, so I’m sorry if you didn’t read it that way.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m confused. What sort of thing did you buy and in what way were you unhappy with it? Without those basic bits of information, I have absolutely no idea how anyone can give you advice that’s worth anything.

Rachel

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Gob of the Tyne will be along soon to confirm Gateshead Trading Standards approved eBay’s T’s & C’s..

bigjim

I remember you said you were going to sue Edinburgh council because you got a puncture a few years ago, how did that go?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I take it it’s National “don’t even read the start of the thread” Day? 😀

twicewithchips – Member

In that case I’m not sure I understand what you are asking.

allthegear – Member

I’m confused. What sort of thing did you buy and in what way were you unhappy with it? Without those basic bits of information, I have absolutely no idea how anyone can give you advice that’s worth anything.

Here’s my OP, which I have already repeated, emphasis added:

They say they will release the names when asked by “the authorities” which I suspect is utter BS, as the courts will tell me to find the name.

Im not sure if I can sue with a 1st name and address only (pretty sure I can’t sue under trading name alone).

Any ideas?

bigjim – Member

I remember you said you were going to sue Edinburgh council because you got a puncture a few years ago, how did that go?

I CBA.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

The only actual question in your OP is:

Any ideas?

You asked for ideas, I and others have suggested some.
    I hope you manage to resolve the matter.

newrobdob
    Free Member

You would probably need a specific legal entity. This is a registered company or individual. To identify an individual you’d need a full name and possibly address. However if there is any indication there might be some issue (such as 2 people with same name at same address, possibly quite common) then you might need date of birth as well to properly identify who you have your action against.

Claim form N1 guidance (form used for small claims court) notes says you need “full address including postcode, full name including title (where known)” in one section (page 1) and on page 2 under the heading “defendants name and address” says “title, full names, address and post code”. So slightly different advice on the same form (N1A) but in my experience (of prosecuting people and businesses in a professional capacity) I would struggle to get a case through without a full name.

lucky7500

How did you pay the seller? The full name (or at least surname) might well appear somewhere in the transaction.

Edit. Just re-read and realised it was cash on collection so ignore that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yep, as I thought Rob, cheers.

TWC…pedantry is a great tactic for the beginning Big-Hitter 😀 Great to see you rising through the ranks.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Suing eBay seller’ is closed to new replies.