• This topic has 138 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Suicide Squad
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Looking forward to this one (Margot Robbie) IMDB 8.5 which is pretty good. Oh 7.5 now 😕 I like the look of Letos version of the Joker, glad they didn’t try and copy Heath Ledgers masterclass.

Going next week

Clink

Going tonight 😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

After watching the trailer…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb2XxImw24c[/video]

PrinceJohn

I really want this to be good. However not wanting this to turn into a marvel vs dc debate, the whole dc movie universe seems rushed and trying to play catch up, the feel of their whole universe is stuck in the Christopher Nolan take on batman whereas marvel have a master plan and keep hitting the bullseye even tho in theory dc has the more grown up characters..

Cougar

Looks ace from the trailers, but the reviews don’t fill me with confidence I’m afraid.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I really want this to be good. However not wanting this to turn into a marvel vs dc debate, the whole dc movie universe seems rushed and trying to play catch up, the feel of their whole universe is stuck in the Christopher Nolan take on batman whereas marvel have a master plan and keep hitting the bullseye even tho in theory dc has the more grown up characters..

I prefer the DC universe, but will be the first to admit the movies of late have been trash. Even the animated stuff has gone off the boil of late with Batman: The Killing Joke being a massive let down.

loddrik
    Free Member

Oh great, another film about superheroessszzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

Hopefully it’ll have some good gunfight and car chaseszzzzzzzzzzzzz……

duckman

But you still took time to post. 😀 Reviews haven’t been good and hearing how Leto “prepared” for the role has reaffirmed my belief in him being a fud. Still going tomorrow night mind.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar

“I’ve not seen it, but I know all about it and feel qualified to comment.”

AKA the Ghostbusters Reboot Law.

Cougar

Looks ace from the trailers,

Ah right, so it’s ok to formulate an opinion of a film you haven’t seen from a trailer but only so long as it’s positive?

But if you use, oh I dunno, logic and look at the director’s train wreck of a career you’re a 50 year old misogynist living in his mothers basement or something?

Is that about right

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Cougar

Ah right, so it’s ok to formulate an opinion of a film you haven’t seen from a trailer but only so long as it’s positive?

If you can’t see a difference between “it looks good / bad from the trailers” and “I haven’t seen it but somehow I intrinsically know it’s terrible and am going to boycott it, my childhood is ruined” then I’m probably not going to be able to explain it to you any clearer.

But let me try just for the hard of thinking. I was passing comment on the trailer, and on the reviews I’ve read, not the film I haven’t seen. Trailers positive, reviews negative. Capiche?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d say it looks utterly shite from any angle, trailer or otherwise. And maybe it’s an age thing, but at 43, I just can’t get excited about ‘Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn’…

Now if I were 12, maybe I just might.

fasthaggis

but at 43, I just can’t get excited

See your GP ,they may be able to help.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh Lodders you are a one, no interest in it but with enough knowledge about it to make comments on the characters and who they may appeal to.

You cheeky scouse scamp x

loddrik
    Free Member

I recon it’d be better if they all just did as the title implied and killed themselves in the opening scene of the film and then the rest of the film featured a discussion about how **** boring 90% of these superheroessszzzzzzzzzzzzzz films are.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ok we get it you don’t like this kind of film 😆 vive le difference

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar

But let me try just for the hard of thinking. I was passing comment on the trailer, and on the reviews I’ve read, not the film I haven’t seen. Trailers positive, reviews negative. Capiche?

Just to clarify, I have no emotional investment in the franchise or the characters whatsoever. My “childhood” is not ruined. However it’s possible to make an educate guess about a films quality based on the track record of the people involved, the studio responsible and promotional material.

It’s entirely possible for good directors to make bad films, they get lazy or lose drive. It’s almost impossible and unprecedented for a hack to make something great. So if you look at David Ayer’s portfolio, which is just littered with by the numbers, predictable generic shite that confuses violence and macho talk for plot and character development you can see that’s his thing and that’s about the limit of his range.

Then look at the studio involved and look at what they did with Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman, or look at the fact that Zack Snyder and his wife are executive producers…

Then look at the production design. The complete lack of imagination, style or clarity. Even something as simple as the Joker having “ha ha ha” tattooed on him.

So, if that wasn’t enough to make an educated guess as to the potential quality of the film you have the trailer, which, dear god is just an awful, predictable contrived attempt to cram in “cool shit”.

So, for the mentally dull, what I’m trying to say is that cine-literate people can make educated guesses and, as it turns out, be correct. Shocker.

Cougar

it’s possible to make an educate guess about a films quality based on the track record of the people involved, the studio responsible and promotional material.

It’s possible to make a guess based on available evidence. To wit, trailers and reviews, and of course the other stuff you’ve mentioned.

It’s not possible, or rather it is possible but if you do you’re an idiot, to dismiss (or conversely, rave) about a film you haven’t seen. Because, y’know, you haven’t seen it. It can look good, it can appear bad, but it cannot be good or bad until you’ve judged it for yourself in its entirety. That was the point I was making in the Ghostbusters discussion.

See the difference? Or are you here for the full half hour?

v666ern
    Free Member

So, for the mentally dull, what I’m trying to say is that cine-literate people can make educated guesses and, as it turns out, be correct. Shocker.

Please dont sit next to me in the cinema – this is not some deep moving piece its for people who like things blowing up and stoopid stuff

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Cougar

*snort*

Could be worse, at least I get to be Batman.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

It’s not possible, or rather it is possible but if you do you’re an idiot, to dismiss (or conversely, rave) about a film you haven’t seen. Because, y’know, you haven’t seen it. It can look good, it can appear bad, but it cannot be good or bad until you’ve judged it for yourself in its entirety. That was the point I was making in the Ghostbusters discussion.

See the difference? Or are you here for the full half hour?

You must imagine that films are formed in a perfect vacuum and are filled with unlimited potential right up until the moment they are released, at which point they somehow spoil.

If it was announced tomorrow that Goodfellas was to be remade by the entire cast and crew of Hollyoaks people would be aghast because they would know the assembled talent don’t have the skills to do it justice. Right? Or is that something an idiot would say?

Oh and on the subject of the Ghostbusters remake, fans of the original did voice their discontent when the all female cast was announced (because the original featured four men). But the main tidal wave of negativity came after the trailer was released. Then Sony systematically removed constructive criticism in the comments which stated that the trailer was not funny, but they left in comments which were misogynist or even racist and used this as part of the promotional material for the film.

The cast went on a pr tour and used the worst of the comments as a basis to create a fake feminist vs misogynist narrative which was perpetuated online and it got to the point where reputable film critics gave positive reviews of the film, despite being highly critical of it, presumably out of fear of being labeled a woman hating racist.

nickc

cine-literate people

probably don’t go to superhero films to be surprised by the plot revelations, character motivation and development, or use of cinematography tbf…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not picking any sides, but should we just settle for less as it’s a superhero movie?

Why can’t it blow shit up, but have good narrative, cinematography etc.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc – Member

cine-literate people

probably don’t go to superhero films to be surprised by the plot revelations, character motivation and development, or use of cinematography tbf…
    [/quote]
    No but they can go to be entertained. Or not.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think the Nolan Batman ticks all those boxes.

loddrik
    Free Member

Nolans batman would have been even better if it didn’t have batman in the middle of it.

Cougar

The flaw in your entire argument there is, by all accounts (I haven’t seen it yet, ironically, so can’t opine personally) the new Ghostbusters movie is reported to be actually very good.

Which, y’know, is the point. Everyone “knew” – ie, assumed, jumped to conclusions about it – and that knowledge ultimately proved false. Maybe the cast of Hollyoaks could actually do a decent job of Goodfellas; I very much doubt it of course, and it’s fair to say that it’s unlikely to be any good, or that you’ve no intention of watching it as it doesn’t appeal. But to jump up and down going “zomg it’s shit eleventyone” about a film you’ve never watched is simply wooly thinking. I’ve seen plenty of films that haven’t lived up to expectations, and plenty more still that have surprisingly surpassed them.

Is that why you’re so determined to have this argument, did I wrong you on the previous thread? You seem very keen to pick me up on a comment from weeks ago that I’d forgotten I’d even written and determined to misrepresent what I’m saying. It’s a bit bizarre if I’m honest.

As for what Sony did or didn’t do, that’s just a non sequitur. It’s shoddy practice sure, but it has zero impact on whether a film’s any good or not.

Anyway, whatever, I don’t really care. You either get where I’m coming from or you don’t, I’m not arguing any further.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Was looking forward to it,

First trailer looked silly fun,

Second one put me off a bit once I saw Batman was going to be in it.

First Pro reviews were somewhere between mediocre and appalling, not the end of the world, pro reviewers are notoriously bad at reviewing silly films.

First real people reviews haven’t been good, the Comic Book Fanbois (depending on what side of the fence they sit) seem to love it, but the sort of stuff they like is the sort of stuff I hate – little nods to previous films I probably haven’t seen, comics I haven’t read and the usual twisted morality tales – it’s okay to kill dozens if not hundreds of faceless ‘henchmen’ but they’re all suppose to be torn apart by some internal moral dilemma or something, it’s puerile.

Non Comic book fans haven’t really liked it, like that Batman Superman film the story doesn’t make any sense, and it seems rather than the standalone film it looked like in the first trailer, it’s a continuation of that.

I’m going to wait till Bluray, or possibly just Netflix, it’s my own falt, I don’t like comic book films, for me it was done to death 10 years ago, but at least then they stood up as their own thing, nowadays they all have to be linked together leaving the causal viewer lost, and confronted but people (or aliens, I forget which) acting in a completely odd way, because it pushes the ‘plot’ forward, but I let the first trailer make me think that this wasn’t like the others, it was more original, seems it’s just more of the same with Margot Robbie’s wonderful arse, a great soundtrack and lots, and lot and lots of expensive hype.

mrsheen
    Free Member

hammyuk
    Free Member

Shirley thats the point P-Jay.
    £8 to watch Margot’s wonderful arse in HD on a 100ft wide screen 😈

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar

The flaw in your entire argument there is, by all accounts (I haven’t seen it yet, ironically, so can’t opine personally) the new Ghostbusters movie is reported to be actually very good.
    Gfff

An average of 6.4/10 on Rotten Tomatoes, and even at that virtually every review I’ve seen laments the pathetic obvious jokes, fake looking cgi ghosts, lack of any coherent plot etc but praise it for having funny women in it. I haven’t seen it either. But reading between the lines it sounds like a mess.

Maybe the cast of Hollyoaks could actually do a decent job of Goodfellas; I very much doubt it of course, and it’s fair to say that it’s unlikely to be any good, or that you’ve no intention of watching it as it doesn’t appeal. But to jump up and down going “zomg it’s shit eleventyone” about a film you’ve never watched is simply wooly thinking.

Again, I made an educated guess based on the previous work of the key contibutors. That’s all. That’s not jumping up and down shouting.

Is that why you’re so determined to have this argument, did I wrong you on the previous thread? You seem very keen to pick me up on a comment from weeks ago that I’d forgotten I’d even written and determined to misrepresent what I’m saying. It’s a bit bizarre if I’m honest.

You don’t see any irony in the fact you’ve stated it “looks ace” based on the trailer on more than one occasion but when I (correctly) predicted it would be crap going by the track records of the key contributors I was using “Ghost busters law”, ie the reaction of 50 year old obese virgins living with their mothers, if the cast of Ghostbusters is to be believed.

The trailer should look amazing. It’s a 2hr $150millon dollar film cut down to it’s best 2 minutes. Even then it falls flat. It’s a dull trailer that tries to replicate the beats of other quirky trailers for succesful offbeat films but fails.

But, yes I’m just some creepy weirdo stalking you so my point is invalid.

scruff
    Free Member

She looks like the redneck lady in My name is Earl. 😀

nickc

No but they can go to be entertained. Or not.

In many ways this is the failure of reviewing films. There’s objective criticisms that can be fairly levelled at any film, it’s lighting, it’s camera angles, and so on. but the subjective measure of “entertainment” is just that, I don’t care if Mark Kermode* “likes” a film, or not, I can make my own mind up about that.

*insert reviewer of choice

Gunz
    Free Member

She looks like the redneck lady in My name is Earl

I have seen the trailer and know nothing else about this film but on the basis of the comment above it’s 10/10 from me.

cheekyget
    Free Member

So …er…..was the film any good then??….coz me and my son loved the trailer with the queen music

jimjam
    Free Member

We’ll never know.

teasel
    Free Member

Anyway, whatever, I don’t really care.

As that was the opening gambit of the fifth paragraph of your lengthy post you’ll forgive me for doubting you.

🙂

bueller
    Free Member

Anyone else seen the justice league movie trailer? Only picked up on it yesterday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Suicide Squad’ is closed to new replies.