Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Suicidal Bike Lanes
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just got home from a extra ride after work, took detours through fields on my tourer just to avoid the A43.

Beating this, however, was the Bike lane onto the A14.

Would anyone take this lane?

I also ended up on a bike lane, on the A43, that lasted 5m. I $ you not.

robhenry85
    Free Member

i could be wrong, but i think this is make you cross the slip road, before it joins the road you are on. so you are then on the slip road and join back on the road. if thats makes sense 😳

so the joining traffic wont cut you up/knock you off by not seeing you.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think it is, but you’d still need to be riding on the road!

hjghg5
    Free Member

The a64 does that round York. I ended up on it by mistake once and couldn’t imagine that anyone would cycle it out of choice.

Edric64
    Free Member

You lot have never enjoyed a timetrial on a dual carriageway on a busy Saturday afternoon then ?

robhenry85
    Free Member

^^ the last one round my way ended in a death!

i stick to off road 😉

hjghg5
    Free Member

No, and that’s sort of the point. An experienced cyclist/time trialler won’t use the “facility”. An inexperienced cyclist will go nowhere near the road. So who is it aimed at?

Edric64
    Free Member

Doing one on Saturday morning they are getting earlier and the fields are being limited to get us off the road quicker .They also get called of if it rains because of spray and visibility problems

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well I don’t know about that, but I do love a good sprint down a closed lane/road. Especially if there’s queuing traffic next to you! 😈

antigee

that is so so wrong

not wholely in favour of overengineered solutions and mandating design but believe dft guideline for a path adjacent to high speed traffic is 2m ideal 1.5m min – reckon that re-used “wobble” strip is less than a metre wide – it simply encourages drivers to pass without pulling out and at 70mph plus!

(and if you ride further out knobbers will pump their horns/pass deliberately close to “police” use of the cycle lane)

the best solution is to narrow the outside lane and move it across and widen the inside lane – this is what dft suggests is good practise for this type of road

then have a short turn into the sliproad crossing at the crossing point

though any road like that really does need a properly segregated cycle lane

Kahurangi

Looks like there is no cycle lane underneath the bridge.

So where the road is narrowest is where the bikes and high-speed cars will be in closes proximity to each other 😐

Looks like an exercise in generating meterage of cycle lanes rather than improving bike access.

oldgit
    Free Member

We have some cycle lanes on a few one way roads….fine. But the lanes have been designed to let cyclists ride against oncoming traffic. There is no warning to motorists entering the one way streets that they will face oncoming cyclists?

Also we have ASL’s at lights that can’t be activated by cyclists. So when a motorist does the right thing and waits, we have to signal them to come past to activate the lights.

samuri
    Free Member

Also we have ASL’s at lights that can’t be activated by cyclists. So when a motorist does the right thing and waits, we have to signal them to come past to activate the lights.

Yep, frustrating. You can be sat there 5 minutes waiting for a car to turn up just to trigger the lights for you. Or you can wait, see no traffic during that period and then decide to carefully cross, thus triggering the wrath of the cyclist-hating RLJ brigade.

ahwiles
    Free Member

someone, somewhere, *designed* that, and then spent our money making it happen.

we need to find this person, and punch them right in the tits explain politely the many many errors they have made.

nealglover
    Free Member

The a64 does that round York. I ended up on it by mistake once and couldn’t imagine that anyone would cycle it out of choice.

I travel a lot on the A64 round York and thankfully very few cyclists use it (can’t remember the last time I saw anyone and I’m on it a few times a day)

But those lanes are there to show people to cross the slip road early and not to ride across in the normal way where traffic is merging at 60mph.

29ers
    Free Member

They should have also included a lane for roadies (would make a good strava segment)

😈 😈

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Suicidal Bike Lanes’ is closed to new replies.