Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sugru – any good on bikes ?
  • iainc

Following on another thread, it was suggested using Sugru to stick a Giant Cadence sensor on back of crank arm – seems an ideal solution and avoids ugly cable ties 🙂 . Anyone experienced how long it lasts/durability etc ?

Cheers

sweepy
    Free Member

My experience is that it sticks well and is durable, unless its going to be heavily flexed.

simon_g

I made a front mech shim out of it, it’s still working well. That’s not really a “sticking” application though – I’d probably use epoxy for a sensor on a crank arm. Or maybe VHB tape if you might want to remove it later.

cdoc
    Free Member

Yep, made some sugru cable guides that have been attached for years now. Good stuff.

iainc

ideal, will get moulding tonight !

geetee1972
    Free Member

I thought sugru was an erotic massage technique!

iainc

🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

When you say ‘cadence sensor’ is it just the megnet? If that’s the case just buy one of those super strong magnets off ebay and stick it to the back of the pedal spindle. If you have titanium axles just use a bit of chewing gum to stick it to the axle end.

But yeh sugru should be fine, I used it to hold a mudguard p-clip in place on my forks as it kept slipping down, worked a treat.

DezB
    Free Member

Had a sample lump and stuck it on the back of my See.Sense light so it sits better against the seatpost. It hasn’t shown any sings of coming off. (I don’t mean I fixed the light to the seatpost by the way – if you had a See.Sense light you’d know why!! Stupid thing)

iainc

Gary – yes, just the magnet. Pedal axle ones apparently won’t work with the Ridesense as the sensor is inside the frame, so magnet needs to be an inch or so up crank from pedal axle. I did think that could be a solution but online searches say no worky.

Will try with some Sugru as would rather make use of the Giant Ridesense unit that buy Garmin accelerometer ones.

nixie

I’m intending to make some sacrificial cable rub protectors on a new frame from it.

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve used it to repair and reinforce plastic light brackets, to reattach a welded light mount that snapped on a rear rack, and to build up the inside of a Garmin Dakota bracket so it gripped the GPS better and stopped it from rattling. Very useful stuff and it stands up to the wear and tear of daily biking well.

I haven’t tried this yet, but there’s a home made version called Oogoo made from corn starch and silicon sealant which looks interesting if you want bigger quantities.

GregMay
    Free Member

I used some to repair an X0 mech during the Tour Divide this year. It managed to withstand two days pedalling before I could replace the mech. SO yeah, I suspect it’ll stick a magnet on..

You could just use glue.

GregMay
    Free Member

I used some to repair an X0 mech during the Tour Divide this year. It managed to withstand two days pedalling before I could replace the mech. SO yeah, I suspect it’ll stick a magnet on..

You could just use glue.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lezyne rear light, whose beam is a tight spot, and the clamp is angled to a certain seat angle. An angle that my MTB does not have.

I’m thinking of molding a wedge to set it at the right angle – currently I stuff a bit of straw behind it and the seat collar.

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly what I did molgrips – works well for that.

[edit]Looks like the novelty of getting stuff “3D printed” has worn off now 🙂 )

molgrips
    Free Member

I was hoping to mould it slightly over the edge of the existing clamp to make something that could be clipped on and off – because the angle is OK for my road bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sugru – any good on bikes ?’ is closed to new replies.