Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Suggestions to help a friend
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Was hoping someone might have a good idea/some alternative ideas how I can get around something for a close friend of mine.

He’s been out of work for a while and to be fair is getting a bit depressed about the world. He always used to smash the miles week in week out and when he first lost his job he became a beast on the bike as was out on his mtb day and night.

Anyway, he’s been through a few temp jobs whilst trying to get back in the field that he was in and I’m noticing a shift in his overall outlook and mood, he’s not riding much and is becoming more sedate and unhappy.

I’ve talked him into maybe setting a goal and he’s well up for hitting the Fred Whitton challenge with me in May… only problem is he doesn’t have a geared road bike.

So does anyone have any bright ideas where I could somehow blag/rent/borrow/(definitely not steal) an XL road bike with gears from for 6 months for him to throw himself back into and give him some purpose whilst he is trying to get a proper job?

mildbore

Dunno about the rest of the kit but I’m about to replace the mostly-worn-but-not-quite-dead 9sp Ultegra groupset and Ksyrium wheels on my road bike and was wondering what to do with the old stuff. If you can source a f+f and t ‘ other bits I’m willing to donate gears, brakes, wheels cos this seems a good use of the kit

chilled76
    Free Member

That would be amazing Wildbore, really amazing!

Thank you, how can I get in touch?

scaredypants

I have a planet-x superlight F&F in the garage – eventually it’s going to be my winter frame but that won’t happen this winter, so it’s available for at least 6 months
    I don’t think it has a headset but otherwise is is something like excellent condition IIRR
    Also have some cosmetically damaged bars that could go on it (for a 31.8 stem I should think)

Can look properly tonight. Where are you? This lot’s in the deep, deep south of hampshire

mildbore

Email me; grumpytechnophobe@gmail.com

chilled76
    Free Member

Scardypants, we are Nottingham based but I’m sure I could sort a courier if you are genuinely serious. That is very kind and generous too. Thank you!

Thanks mildbore, email coming shortly.

🙂

belm
    Free Member

I’m in Carrington and have a few stems, a set of nitto bars, SPD pedals, and some other bits I’d be happy to donate if stil required. I have an Aksium wheelset that I replaced because of wear on the rear rim but it’d probably be fine for six months or so?

Regardless, if you want to come round and rifle through all of my spare stuff, drop me an email.

chilled76
    Free Member

That’s very kind thank you belm, thank you so much!

Will be in touch soon, really appreciate this guys.

STW generosity wins again!

Scaredypants did you have a look to see what the frame was like/if it has a headset? How can I get in touch?

scaredypants

Hi,

Frame has no headset but haven’t had a full look round to see if it’s in the garage somewhere (I usually bag ’em up and tie to the frame)

email is in my profile, just click on my name at the top of this post

scaredypants

What became of this in the end ?

mildbore

I was contacted by OP and donated my old groupset/wheels. A coup.e of weeks ago I had an email from OP to say that he and his friend had failed to gain entry to their chosen event and his friend had gone off the idea of road riding so the stuff was no longer needed. I replied but haven’t heard back yet

scaredypants

thanks mildbore – I’ll return that one to the back burner then

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions to help a friend’ is closed to new replies.