Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Suggestions how to fix my coving (DIY content)
  • keppoch

I have had some building work done, it left a hole in the ceiling level coving where some pipes used to be:

I would like to do something to improve the appearence of this. Since the house is a 1900 odd terrace I am guessing I can’t nip down to B&Q for another section of that coving.

Any suggestions for how to fix this to a tolerable level (it is 8ft up so unlikley to draw too many gazes) in a tolerable timescale (not really into taking plaster casts of the adjacent section if I can avoid it!)

Any suggestions appreciated, cheers.

keppoch

bear-uk
    Free Member

Looks like its filler time and plenty of sanding back to shape.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Fill the deep bits first with bonding, then move on to filler. Apply in layers and sand back. Repeat as required

keppoch

Bonding? Is that bonding plaster?

My only other idea so far was to glue in a piece of wood of something like the right shape and then fill on top of that.

Cheers chaps, more dust and filler it seems!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As they say – creative filler carving

Bonding can be applied in deeper layers so is good for filling gaps but its a bit daft to buy a bag for that little bit

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yep, bonding plaster. It’s thick, sticky and dries quick. It also dries hard and rough, so no good for sanding. Get some polycell trade filler, dries quick and smooth and easy to sand

keppoch

Have followed your advice and five sessions of fill and sand and the results are pretty pleasing. I will post some pictures at some point.

I’ve no interest in going into business doing this though!

Thanks all.

takisawa2

Expanding foam, from a can. Let it dry then run a hacksaw blade from side to side along the existing to saw it off to shape. Then fill smooth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions how to fix my coving (DIY content)’ is closed to new replies.