Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Suggestions for the oab_family holiday 2018….
  • matt_outandabout

We are an adventurous family of 5, but need to sleep somewhere under a roof (even if that is a hut / youth hostel / self catering). Needs to be warm and in Europe (unless it is cheaper than Europe). Mountains are brilliant. Kids are 16, 15 and 13 next summer. We have all the kit we need.

We like climbing mountains and riding bikes, as well as some canoeing. A tour on foot or bike would work for a few days, as will some based in one place adventures. Prefer self catering / some catered.

Happy to do some planning and faffing ourselves – but an uplift/bags taken type service might be nice.

Happy to fly or train(!) as we can use euro rail pass. We have driven Scotland to Alps before too…

Costs we need to keep down, likely around £400 a head.

I am thinking Spain, Slovenia/Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland etc…

Inspire me….

cloudnine
    Free Member

Northern Spain / Basque region.
    You have nearby mountains and beach..

tjagain

slovenia

Cheap to get to , great mountains with mountain huts / WW1 bunkers to sleep in including at least one on the summit, Cycling and canoeing available as well.

matt_outandabout

Slovenia flights not cheap, especially from Scotland 🙁

poly
    Free Member

Sweden? We did a canoe / camp expedition this year. They are well set up for that (fly edi-cph and then cross the bridge was cheapest).

A friend did a trip in the Pyrenees using mountain huts (posh bothy), I fancy it when our yougest is a bit older…

poly
    Free Member

dupe

RoterStern
    Free Member

Corsica? We went there this year and the beaches are lovely and the water crystal clear and the mountains pretty damn high. Plus we found it was cheaper to rent a static style caravan there as Croatia.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Iceland
    Canaries
    Garda
    Pyrenees

RustyMac

Majorca? Pollenca side rather than magaluf obvz

tjagain

Matt – it is served by easyjet and we got flights a few years ago for very little

http://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/slovenia/ljubljana

TomB

I know nothing about the area, but have similar interests to you, and my Polish colleagues recommend the Tatras, on their border with Slovakia. A quick google looks promising……

MrPottatoHead

I’d second Slovenia. I went quite a few years ago to a town called Bovec – absolutely stunning location with plenty to do. I went with Exodus and did mountain biking, caving, kayaking, rafting, canyoning etc all through local operators. I think they’ve now got an uplift service at the bike park. If flights to Llubjana are too expensive the maybe look at flights to Trieste in Italy and hop over the border – it’s possibly closer anyway.

jeff

We did the Dolomites with Colletts this year – flew to Venice and they picked us up from the airport which made it pretty low stress.
    If I went back I’d probably got with them but self cater as our kids were too young for the organised walks etc.
    They also do point to point tours with stays in mountain huts if you really like hiking.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Stansted Ljubljana under £100 return end Jun to mid July. Pretty cheap when you are there

matt_outandabout

I was trying to avoid the Scotland-Stanstead drive/stay if possible…hmmm

tjagain

Paddle down the dordogne? I really enjoyed that this year – takes 6 days. Fly ryanair direct Edinburgh / Bordeaux and then 2.5 hr train ride to sarlat ( or any one of dozens of towns with canoe hire) Plenty of cycle hire in the area as well.

geoffj
    matt_outandabout

Paddle down the dordogne?

Another French river is tempting….and we can take our own boats still…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

We have flown to Bergamo and went to Slovenia, Lake Bled based but went to Bawhinge and Ljubljana. The holiday took in Lake Garda and Klagenfurt in Austria. All good for what you describe.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bawhinge? I think your Ayrshire autocorrect is on Kaiser! :mrgreen:

mogrim

Another vote for north Spain.

matt_outandabout

Late night googling suggests Zakopane would work – direct flights from Scotland, lots to do, nice mountains….

matt_outandabout

All confirmed and booked for Poland, Zakopane. Lots of hillwalking planned, a day or two riding (touring rather than mega singletrack), a day canoeing and hopefully some beers and food…

Fwiw we have 10days booked, costing so far for flight, hire car and self catering chalet £300 each…

Cougar

Are you going anywhere near Krakow?

If so I’ll warn you now, it’s the single densest place of beautiful women I’ve ever known. I came home with whiplash.

senorj

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for the oab_family holiday 2018….’ is closed to new replies.