Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Suggestions for savoury carb replacements for long rides…
  • DrP

Got a biggun planned this weekend – looking to carry circa 1000g of carbs in order to replace en route, but TBH am feeling a bit adverse to simply scoffing bananas/sweets/flapjack!
    Will be taking some sarnies/wraps for a bit of normality, but any other foodstuffs that have clearly passed my mind that I should be thinking about??

Cheers

DrP

Klunk
    Free Member

mmmmmm pork pie.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

A bread roll with honey and butter, and banana if your feeling brave. Can’t beat it.

neninja
    Free Member

A pot of cold couscous salad with chicken/chorizo etc

brassneck

Oatcakes but take about 20L extra water

d45yth
    Free Member

Potatoes with salt and olive oil.
    Savoury rice cakes.
    Both videos by Dr. Allen Lim. His book, ‘The Feed Zone’, has some good recipes in it too.

binners

fuzzhead
    Free Member

bagels
    bananas
    soreen
    chicken

haribo for dessert

sorted 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pub lunch and 3 pints?

cheburashka
    Free Member

Mixed seeds. Food Doctor style.

binners

DrP

That Dr Lim stuff looks good! Potatoes and ‘panini’ will most certainly be in my bag!

DrP

brakes
    Free Member

potatoes? seeds? cous cous?

bog off. malt loaf is all you need – can even be squished into a convenient size/ aerodynamic shape.

binners

alexathome
    Free Member

Baked beans and mini sausage, chuck in some hp sauce, nice crispy bacon bits, a, bit of scrambled egg, all in a flask! Instant proper English breakfast whilst you ride. Slip a couple of bits of toast in your back pocket, go’s without saying that. If you have two bottle cages pot another flask with steaming hot sugary tea in it.

Now, you’ll probably want a cigarette after all that, even if you may not smoke, so take a pack of fags and a lighter just in case, oh almost forgot take something to read, preferably a copy of the Sun.

I’m pretty sure that this is all standard advice really.

neninja
    Free Member

I must add I’ve only ever taken couscous with me once. Usually it’s a cheese and ham sandwich and a scotch egg plus a few cereal type bars (Dorset ones if I’m spoiling myself, otherwise Traidcraft Geobars bars).

binners

How about just taking a flask of hot water, a bowl and ….

stick some of these out of it at comedy angles

then with the last of the water in the flask….

MadBillMcMad

peanut butter with jam butties

alexathome
    Free Member

What is the best method to carry a sandwich so it doesn’t get all squashed?

eyerideit
    Free Member

peanut butter butties. – beaten to it 😕

alexathome – Member

best to pre squash them, then easier to eat

jota180
    Free Member

I usually take Peperami or those individual Cathedral Cheddar portions for a savoury fix

I think it’s just the salt I crave rather than anything else

DrP

I see the need for a pocket on your [cycle] helmet for just this thing.

is it odd that I find sandwiches are tastier if they have been squashed??

DrP

IHN

I was once riding in winter with someone who’s not been seen on here for a long while. At the traditional mid-ride munch stop most of us had some sweete, or maybe a Tracker bar or something.

However, the gentleman in question produced from his bag a sandwich bag which contained a healthy chunk of christmas pudding. He then produced a pot of brandy sauce, which he emptied into the sandwich bag. Then he retrieved a spoon from his bag and, with a flourish, ate his mid-ride snack with a look of unbelieveable smugness 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

alexathome – Member

I find the empty boxes from Nature Valley muesli bars are good for two sandwiches.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Home made date, peanut butter and honey flapjacks. All the major food groups covered and perfect for cycling.

1 3rd of a jar of peanut butter
    1 block of unsalted butter.
    400 grams of brown sugar.
    4 table spoons of honey.
    150 grams of chopped dates or other dried fruit.
    400 grams of oats, maybe a touch more to compensate for the extra peanut butter.

Melt butter and peanut butter.
    Throw everything else in and mix.
    Put in a baking tray and pop in the oven for 20 mins @ 170deg.
    Cool, turn out and cut.

Spread with Nutella before for pre ride fuel and take a slice or two with you.

druidh
    Free Member

A peanut butter sandwich with a layer of Marmite will solve your savoury craving.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In long XC rides/races, I have used my bento box (from tri’s) as its easy to grab a quick nibble on the go. Kendal Mint Cake, Malt Loaf, Jelly Babies, jam or peanut butter sandwiches and Pepperami seems to work ok and fit in! I am surprised that more MTBers do not use bento boxes.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Sorry if it’s a bit radical, but have you considered a sandwich box?

MrGreedy

Packets of Mini Cheddars work for me on long rides – they’re the right size for a back pocket, satisfy the salt/savoury requirement and are fairly easy to eat while moving without mess.

monkeyp

Here is a list of savoury things I took to SITS which really helped to get me through 24 hours without any hunger pangs

– Mini tubs of humous (available from Sainsburies) with Tuc biscuits for dipping

– Some cooked Thai sticky rice, doused in soy sauce and divided into golf ball sized portions wrapped in cling film

– Salted cashews

The thai sticky rice sounds so wrong, but is an idea I found online from some adventure cyclist. They are really filling, easy to carry, tasty and completely carb loaded. You can mix in some minced chicken for protien as well if you like.

acjim
    Free Member

Cold pizza slices are pretty good, can be rolled up for easy noshing.

Love the idea of the boiled spuds, will definitely be trying those!

cymro1
    Free Member

banana malt loaf
    cheese filled Tuk biscuits

miketually
    Free Member

In long XC rides/races, I have used my bento box

You can get 8 Asda mini pork pies in mine.

DrP

Just back from the store….
    The New potatoes were tiny, so got some nice waxy Charlottes, Parmigiana, and more olive oil.
    Plus some cream cheese, sliced turkey (I’m a sucker for reductions!) and jam (yup – all that will go in a bagel/croissant!).
    Also picked up more ‘nanas and apples.
    Tried out some new energy drink sachets last night – bowels in one piece still, which is good…

I’m half looking forward to the ride, half looking forward to the feast!

Plus, Saturday is meant to be rather pleasant weather!

DrP

miketually
    Free Member

BTW, how far are you riding to need 1000g of carbs? That would do me for 14 hours.

DrP

That would do me for 14 hours.

Me too hopefully…. Well, aiming for about 12 hours (South Downs Way, alpine style!)

DrP

miketually
    Free Member

Ah, that explains not restocking en route.

On my last big ride, I discovered that I get bored of my one-mini-pork-pie-per-hour eating strategy after about eight hours. Luckily, I was near the Coop in Barnard Castle at the time 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for savoury carb replacements for long rides…’ is closed to new replies.