Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Suggestions for first cheap road bike?
  • enbern
    Free Member

Hey everyone,

It was my first MTB season last year and I absolutely loved it but this year I want to take it a bit more seriously and thus I want to get fitter!

I’m going to do this by buying a road bike, I reckon it’ll be much easier for me to get miles in considering I can go straight from my door.

My budget is £450 MAX (I’d rather spend less, want to make sure I enjoy road riding before spending more), I’m aware that I won’t get a huge amount of value under this budget but having a look I’ve found a few winners.

Chainreactioncycles has this in my size (I’m 5’8 with a short inseam).

Mango bikes has this.

Wiggle has this.

Decathlon has this.

These are just a few I’ve found, was hoping somebody who knows more than I do could provide some alternative suggestions or even help pick between these.

Thanks

johnw1984
    Free Member

I was tempted by one if these a few months ago, but I’ve got another project now 🙂

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284979/products/2015-giant-defy-5-road-bike-black-silver-red.aspx

enbern
    Free Member

I did see that deal, unfortunately my legs are more than likely too short for the medium!

hammyuk
    Free Member

How tall are you?
    My Giant SCR4.0 is going in the classifieds this week – less than 400 total miles.

verses

I bought the 2011 version of this and was very pleased with it, although if getting lots of miles in expect to replace the wheels sooner rather than later;
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6402/CANNONDALE-CAAD8-SORA-COMPACT-2014

Could even go up to Tiagra, but I’d save the extra 50 quid and put it towards some wheels…
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5228/CANNONDALE-CAAD8-TIAGRA-2013

Various others under £450;
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p0/Road-Bikes/Racing-Road-Racing

TiRed

I’d also say Giant Defy 5 with some extra money for nicer tyres and maybe some mudguards. Medium suits about 5’6 to 5’11. Small and XS are about but harder to find. A 2016 model would still be about on budget.

The CAAD8 is also great and a little more roady, but based on our BB30 and wheel robustness experience, I prefer the Giant. Disclaimer: we have three Defy’s and a CAAD8.

You can always buy used – I’ve been looking at Small Defy’s for a nephew and they are about.

enbern
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 but with short legs, maybe 29 inch inseam?

That CAAD8 looks lovely but again I don’t think they have my size.

I’m probably a 52 frame, a 54 would be a push I reckon maybe a bit too extended for me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m a 31″ leg at 5’7 so spot on 😉

jb72
    Free Member

Those mentioned already look good. This in a 52? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-claris-2016/

enbern
    Free Member

Is it a bad idea going Claris over Sora?

Would I miss the extra gearing that the 9 speed Sora would have over the 8 speed Claris?

wilburt
    Free Member

I bet the 54 would be ok, get a shorter stem if you want.

Don’t forget a few quid for bibs, shirt and a helmet without a peak.

SDP’s are ok for a while.

Get a basic garmin, road cycling and numbers go together like coke and hookers. 😉

Ride with others, a club social ride or mates it makes a lot of difference.

edit: gears don’t bother me, I have an 8 speed from 2005 thats just as hard to peddle as a the latest 11 speed. You can only be in one at a time!

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually those Cannondales up there are a better deal.

I’d spring for the Tiagra and upgrade the wheels later.

enbern
    Free Member

What’s the thought on the 54cm Cannondale CAAD8?

I’m about to pull the trigger on that but a bit worried it might be too big?

I have no idea how to size road bikes and I can’t really go and try one because the sale could end imminently and I’m out of budget!

shermer75
    Free Member

I can vouch for Sora, really good value and nice to use. I’d avoid the Claris if it has that annoying ‘mouses ear’ shifter that Sora used to have a couple of years back, it’ll properly get on your tits. As for the extra gear, the total spread tends to be the same but the gaps between the gears get smaller. It wouldn’t bother me too much.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’d email you OP but none in profile.

shermer75
    Free Member

“Ride with others, a club social ride or mates it makes a lot of difference.”

This^^. Get in touch with your local club. There’s always other beginners, it’s a lot of fun, and you’ll learn loads about cycling.

TiRed

At 5’8″ a 54 will fit, but you will need a shorter stem. Teen1 is an inch taller and rides it stock with a 100 mm stem. I switch it to a 110-120 when I steal borrow it and I’m 5’10.5″.

And join a club, definitely join a club.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for first cheap road bike?’ is closed to new replies.