Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Suggestions for fast non-disc tourer/adventure frameset
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m looking for a cheap’n’cheerful frameset for fast/light touring and road that isn’t afraid of a bit of landrover track which won’t break the bank (sub £300).

I want to use my trusty old Mavic 500 touring wheelset so needs to take calipers or be cantilever bossed, and preferably be steel or skinny alloy.

On the list is Croix de Fer (the older models), Kaffenback and Cross Check but they don’t come up for sale very often. I recently found the New Albion Privateer (sister company to Soma) which hits the spot but only available from the US.

Should I be looking at anything else?

RustySpanner

Spa Audax?

Link.

Lovely things, very nice people to deal with.

Can’t recommend a visit highly enough.
    They let me test ride anything I fancied, including a yet to be finalised prototype.

ajf
    Free Member

bought my cross check from Spa cycles, rang beforehand as wasn’t sure on sizing so guy who works in shop brought his bike from home for me to try.

Great shop, happy to spend money there.

MoreCashThanDash

A couple of friends are big fans of Spa and their staff. I’m waiting for them to get to grip with discs before visiting…..

CraigW
    Free Member

Maybe the Kinesis Racelight T2? Or the Kinesis Crosslight if you want more tyre clearance.

gari
    Free Member

Kinesis Crosslight 5T? a bit racey but it would work well as a gravel/light tourer type bike if it fits you. Add forks for about £350 all in.

^^snap!

ampthill

I’m not sure about prices but look at the Thorn bikes they are mostly, if not all, rim brakes

Certainly cheap are the Ribble cycles cross frame and steel road bike. Prices are frame only

£110 with and has canti bosses

for rim brakes £162

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

You could try the classifieds for a kona dew or smoke 29.

I’ve got a smoke 29er myself, utterly bombproof for my near 20 stone and easily accepts big apple 2.0 tyres with proper mudguards.

Currently primed for a big adventure…someday. 😉

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Cheers guys, some great suggestions.

The Spa Audax looks nice and great value for money with a carbon fork.
    Kinesis Crosslight is a good contender too, but I have an irrational fear of alloy.
    Those Ribbles are crazy cheap!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for fast non-disc tourer/adventure frameset’ is closed to new replies.